I really dont feel sorry for Americans stuck in Lebanon

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by T-Bor, Jul 18, 2006.

1. T-Bor

T-Bor Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Its like these people think that America can just come to everyones house and get everyone out of there in a day or two. The home page of CNN now has pictures of American citizens (middle eastern looking) holding up signs saying where are you America. If these people are freaking stupid enough to actually go and live in Lebanon, squeezed between Syria and Israel they are freaking crazy. Their own stupidity has put them in this situation and I dont feel one bit sorry for them. I wouldnt go to Lebanon or any country in the Middle East for that matter if you paid me.

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well, I feel for them.

It is true, though, that America has become a nation of helpless children, always expecting big ol daddy gov't to bail them out. After any problem, the first thing you see are people on TV demanding that the gov't take care of them.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I know some Canadians trapped there too, I hope they manage to get out safe, regardless of how they manage to get home.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I should also mention they don't live there, they are there visiting family and one is taking care of things for elderly parents who refuse to leave.

5. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I certainly hope that all the people there who want to get out safetly can do so...I do not wish harm on any of them.

That being said, I think that when you travel abroad (or anywhere for that matter) you take risks. Some of them are much greater than others, you have to weigh what you are going to get out of the experience and the danger and make up your own mind. The State Department has travel warnings and precautions about travel and living in Lebanon, Israel, and the Middle East in general. It should NOT be a surprise that the shit has hit the fan there...but I hope they get out safetly.

The signs mentioned above remind me a bit about the boy who was caught spitting in the streets in Singapore (I think) and immediately turned to the US to get him out of his punishment (caning). You can't ignore the country's warnings about going to a country and then expect the government to be able to snap their fingers and teleport you home...you're in a warzone now...you're going to have to deal with the consequences of your actions.

6. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well I'll give you the general point, but don't you think these are special circumstanes that warrant governmental intervention? I mean look, the Israelis bombed out the only airport. And either you head directly into the conflict zone, or into Syria. Neither of those options would be appealing to me. Besides, if we've got a ginormous military sitting right off the coast of the country, I certainly would rather have them rescuing American citizens instead of just sitting there.

7. Abbey Normal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Yes, I agree that these are special circumstances, and I think we should do our best to help them. Where T-Bor's post struck a chord with me was in describing the "Where are you America?" signs, as though the gov't owes every American on the planet a rescue when things turn sour.

Let's hope they all get out safely.

8. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Good to know. If the government isn't going to help US citizens who get caught in a spontanious war, then what is it for?

As for the signs, I think they're pretty good as a method of communication, especially if you don't have any other way of being heard.

9. Abbey Normal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391

A sincere, "Help us America" sign, would accomplish the same thing, without the accusatory tone of "Where are you America"?

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Personally, if I was in a combat zone, I'd be screaming at them to haul ass to get me out. I mean, it's a combat zone, and at least the people in the CNN picture have kids.