I REALLY Appreciate how Humble the Obama's are in this "Great Recession"...

IDK s0n............84 vacations at a tune of millions - fAiL when the economy is in the sh!ter!!!

That doesnt even include the epic golf outings...................

FOUR
Bush spent 977 days vacationing at the Ranch or Camp David. That's a 122 days a year, while we were fighting two wars and slipping into the greatest recession since the Great Depression.

Bush Spent 487 Days At Camp David, 490 Days At Texas Ranch During

So was the country in a Economical crisis when Bush became President? It looks like the pesident would be trying to get the economy jump started and then go on vacation.
No, the country was not in an economic crisis when Bush took over. Clinton turned over to Bush a booming economy and a government with a surplus. In 8 years Bush turned that surplus into an 995 billion dollar budget deficit and a country in the worst recession since the great depression. No wonder Bush spent so much time on vacation.

WikiAnswers - What was the total deficit when Obama took office

Wow she sure is living it up huh? Could you imagine if this were a Republican First Lady behaving this way? What would the Dems being saying about this? I think we all know the answer to that one. This is kind of embarrassing for our nation in my opinion. She should be showing more restraint during these very tough times for most Americans. She should actually consider apologizing for her behavior.
Remember Nancy Reagan??

Frankly, I don't see what the huge deal it. She's the president's wife and wants to get away with her daughter on summer break. I don't see why life has to come to a grinding halt for people with jobs just because other people are out of work.

shes wasting hundreds of thousands of tax payers dollars so she can go party in another country

Wow she sure is living it up huh? Could you imagine if this were a Republican First Lady behaving this way? What would the Dems being saying about this? I think we all know the answer to that one. This is kind of embarrassing for our nation in my opinion. She should be showing more restraint during these very tough times for most Americans. She should actually consider apologizing for her behavior.
Remember Nancy Reagan??

Nancy Reagan was like a church mouse you never heard a peep out of her, and the media was not in love with Reagan like they are with the obamas

So are you saying the first lady should not take a vacation because there are so many people without jobs even if she pays for her own travel expenses? Maybe if she stayed home those people would find a job; people like my neighbor who's out of work and he's in Vegas right now.

This thread really doesn't make much sense.

I think you are wrong on this - as evidenced by the fact that people all over the world are discussing this very same issue, and coming to the same conclusion, that many people on this thread are coming to.

What you need to understand is that no one (or at least very, very few people) here is stating that she doesn't have the right to take her 8 vacations in just over a year. I find it a bit excessive, but hey...good on her and her husband for making the kind of money that allows that sort of thing.

What people ARE saying is that the First Lady, if anything, is a symbol...a fashion symbol, a symbol of motherhood, a symbol of spousehood, a symbol of what an American wife, mother, woman, etc. should be. Hence why Laura Bush was mocked for appearing to not have an opinion or disagree with Bush on war policy, why people whispered about whether or not she was a smoker, etc. Why Hillary was slammed for her "baking cookies" comment, and why people to this day praise her or damn her for staying with Bill, why Barbara Bush's ridiculous comments continue to raise eyebrows, etc.

Our current First Lady has spoken very loudly and publicly about how her husband is asking us to cut back, to not spend, to save and stop our wicked ways. She has said loudly that ALL OF US are going to have to take part...that her husband's presidency is going to require ALL OF US to WORK.

8 vacations in a little more than a year isn't work...its taking a whole lot of expensive vacations. Does she have the right to? Sure. The question is...what does it say about the First Lady and her message of cutting back and working...if she doesn't even do it symbolically?

It is in poor taste to lecture to everyone at the table (including many who are of a healthy weight) all meal long about how dessert is terrible for your health, how it is causing obesity, and that we ALL need to stop eating dessert if we are going to stop the epidemic...only to order creme brulee, tiramisu, AND a slice of chocolate cake when the dessert trolley rolls by because HEY, I'm not fat!

It is in poor taste to invite everyone to a wedding - but state that because alcoholism is a big problem in the family no alcoholic beverages will be served - and when all of your guests arrive have a secret bottle of red behind the bar just for you because, HEY, I'm not an alcoholic!

And...it is in poor taste to lecture the nation repeatedly about how irresponsible WE ALL HAVE BEEN in our spending and that WE ALL will have to cut back. To criticize those who visit Las Vegas, to entreat people to visit the Gulf Coast, to tell us all that sacrifice is American and that the President is asking us to work and that its not going to be easy...
and then to take 8 vacations in basically one year because HEY! Life is all good for me!!!

At best, it shows a disconnect from the American people. At worst, it shows a complete lack of caring about them.

At the very least, Mrs. Obama should have taken her million-dollar vacay in the United States...somewhere on the Gulf coast perhaps?

So was the country in a Economical crisis when Bush became President? It looks like the pesident would be trying to get the economy jump started and then go on vacation.

Spending time at his ranch didn't cost us $375k ether.
Oh really, I would think it would cost quite a bit more than $375K to provide Secret Service Protection for the president for 490 days at the ranch.

So are you saying the first lady should not take a vacation because there are so many people without jobs even if she pays for her own travel expenses? Maybe if she stayed home those people would find a job; people like my neighbor who's out of work and he's in Vegas right now.

Nothing that questions anything about the obama makes any sense to you silly kool-aid drinkin' fuckers.

I think you are wrong on this - as evidenced by the fact that people all over the world are discussing this very same issue, and coming to the same conclusion, that many people on this thread are coming to.

What you need to understand is that no one (or at least very, very few people) here is stating that she doesn't have the right to take her 8 vacations in just over a year. I find it a bit excessive, but hey...good on her and her husband for making the kind of money that allows that sort of thing.

What people ARE saying is that the First Lady, if anything, is a symbol...a fashion symbol, a symbol of motherhood, a symbol of spousehood, a symbol of what an American wife, mother, woman, etc. should be. Hence why Laura Bush was mocked for appearing to not have an opinion or disagree with Bush on war policy, why people whispered about whether or not she was a smoker, etc. Why Hillary was slammed for her "baking cookies" comment, and why people to this day praise her or damn her for staying with Bill, why Barbara Bush's ridiculous comments continue to raise eyebrows, etc.

Our current First Lady has spoken very loudly and publicly about how her husband is asking us to cut back, to not spend, to save and stop our wicked ways. She has said loudly that ALL OF US are going to have to take part...that her husband's presidency is going to require ALL OF US to WORK.

8 vacations in a little more than a year isn't work...its taking a whole lot of expensive vacations. Does she have the right to? Sure. The question is...what does it say about the First Lady and her message of cutting back and working...if she doesn't even do it symbolically?

It is in poor taste to lecture to everyone at the table (including many who are of a healthy weight) all meal long about how dessert is terrible for your health, how it is causing obesity, and that we ALL need to stop eating dessert if we are going to stop the epidemic...only to order creme brulee, tiramisu, AND a slice of chocolate cake when the dessert trolley rolls by because HEY, I'm not fat!

It is in poor taste to invite everyone to a wedding - but state that because alcoholism is a big problem in the family no alcoholic beverages will be served - and when all of your guests arrive have a secret bottle of red behind the bar just for you because, HEY, I'm not an alcoholic!

And...it is in poor taste to lecture the nation repeatedly about how irresponsible WE ALL HAVE BEEN in our spending and that WE ALL will have to cut back. To criticize those who visit Las Vegas, to entreat people to visit the Gulf Coast, to tell us all that sacrifice is American and that the President is asking us to work and that its not going to be easy...
and then to take 8 vacations in basically one year because HEY! Life is all good for me!!!

At best, it shows a disconnect from the American people. At worst, it shows a complete lack of caring about them.

At the very least, Mrs. Obama should have taken her million-dollar vacay in the United States...somewhere on the Gulf coast perhaps?

A Gem of a post love it.:clap2:

A Gem of a post love it.:clap2:
Good post, although I do not agree with you. Like most shocking stories in the press, this one is exaggerated. The report that she is traveling with 40 friends is false. She is traveling with two. The $375,000 cost of secret service protection is likewise not true. It was estimated that the cost of secret service protection could run as high as $375,000. Whether the first lady was vacationing in Hawaii, New Orleans, or Spain there would be little difference in cost.

When the right wing media could not come up with a new story to discredit the president, they attacked his wife. I'm sure they tried to hit the president for his vacationing, however that story wouldn't have legs. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush spent more time on "vacation" during their first year than President Obama did. Politics as usually....

Michelle Obama visits Spain's Granada - SignOnSanDiego.com

^And how they are "Feeling" our Pain...

It's times like these that you can Truly Appreciate ONE Aspect of Jimmy Carter's Presidency...

He wasn't a Self-Involved, Indulgent Show-off while the Country Suffered in his Final (2) Years in Office.

The same can NOT be said for Barry and his Wife.

Shameless doesn't even begin to Describe it.

And if anyone Doubted this is where they would be, just Remember his $140,000,000 Innagural while America was Shedding 700-800,000 Jobs a Month during the Holidays of 2008/2009...

Classy, these People aren't.

:)

peace...

Umm, you DO which Obama is "president"?

Should she suffer because of what Republicans did to this country?

Right. Now that they have our money, life is good. They are not into setting an example of how to save, only how to spend, spend and more spend. A no-class slap in the face of those who are hurting and those who are soon to be, including their own base.

It's times like these that you can Truly Appreciate ONE Aspect of Jimmy Carter's Presidency...

He wasn't a Self-Involved, Indulgent Show-off while the Country Suffered in his Final (2) Years in Office.

And if anyone Doubted this is where they would be, just Remember his $140,000,000 Innagural while America was Shedding 700-800,000 Jobs a Month during the Holidays of 2008/2009...

peace...

So who will you blame if the democrat remain in power and things continue to get worse?

peace...

Rdean... A peasant who enjoys having his face pissed on by royalty..

peace...

peace...
There is nothing shameful about the first lady vacationing in Spain, Kennebunkport, Miami, or wherever she chooses to vacation. It's her vacation. She's paying for it, so she should be able to go where she pleases.

The only shameful thing about this is the way the right wing media treats it. It will be interesting to see how many Republican congressman cancel their summer vacations to show sympathy for all those who out of work.

At least if she vacationed in Kennebunkport or Miami, those $dollars would have helped OUR economy.

peace...

Rdean... A peasant who enjoys having his face pissed on by royalty..

peace...

maybe he's has one of those fetish maybe he's into those golden showers.:lol:

Flopper Wrote:
Whether the first lady was vacationing in Hawaii, New Orleans, or Spain there would be little difference in cost.

True...but there would have been a difference in who benefited from the money she spent. Again...symbolically, if not thing else, it would have made a huge difference if she had spent her money in the United States.

When the right wing media could not come up with a new story to discredit the president, they attacked his wife. I'm sure they tried to hit the president for his vacationing, however that story wouldn't have legs. Presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush spent more time on "vacation" during their first year than President Obama did. Politics as usually....

If anyone is playing politics with this one, its you. Obama has vacationed a lot for a man who has said about a thousand times that he "would not rest" until he solved the problems facing out nation. And if you can not see the difference between Bush going to his home in Crawford and Obama going to Hawaii or Maine than you really need to pry the partisan blinders off your face because they are hurting your argument.

The thing is, the President can be President just about anywhere...he brings the Presidency with him. So if he is in Crawford or Hawaii it doesn't mean he isn't working. Why you and so many others on the left never understood that during the Bush Administration but now suddenly completely understand the concept during the Obama Administration is...a bit of a mystery. :eusa_whistle:

But again...the bottom line is this isn't about whether or not they are entitled to take vacations. Its whether or not it is in poor taste, tone deaf to take so many luxurious vacations at a time when most Americans are cutting back and many Americans are facing incredibly tough times.

"Do as I say, not as I do," is a fine motto for some...but Obama didn't campaign on the message of, "Hey, I've got a helluva lot more money than you little people...so I'm gonna throw parties and take my wife to NYC on a whim, my wife is going to vacation 8 times or so a year...but you...you should turn off your A/C and stop buying things you don't need...cause you're the unwashed masses..." He campaigned on "all of us needing to sacrifice together." HIS WIFE told us that we were ALL going to have to work together and it was going to be hard. So don't tell me that Mrs. Obama is now off-limits. She sold us this bill of goods just like he did. Its fine if they don't want to play by the same rules...but they probably should stop lecturing us about where we go on vacation and how we spend our money if they want to avoid the negative publicity that they are receiving from right AND LEFT wing sources all over the world.

Last edited:
This thread is absolute proof that some of you lefties are absolute morons. There is NOWAY to justify this. NONE.

Do you idiots just not understand that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it? I don't think you do. just like in the Mosque thread. Just because those idiots can build that mosque doesn't mean they should. Just because Michelle Obama CAN use government sources to take vacations when 17% of Americans are out of work does not mean she SHOULD do it.

Does your partisanship EVER end?

Fucking pathetic losers.

This thread is absolute proof that some of you lefties are absolute morons. There is NOWAY to justify this. NONE.

Do you idiots just not understand that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do it? I don't think you do. just like in the Mosque thread. Just because those idiots can build that mosque doesn't mean they should. Just because Michelle Obama CAN use government sources to take vacations when 17% of Americans are out of work does not mean she SHOULD do it.

Does your partisanship EVER end?

Fucking pathetic losers.

Nice bravo, very good reply.

peace...
There is nothing shameful about the first lady vacationing in Spain, Kennebunkport, Miami, or wherever she chooses to vacation. It's her vacation. She's paying for it, so she should be able to go where she pleases.

The only shameful thing about this is the way the right wing media treats it. It will be interesting to see how many Republican congressman cancel their summer vacations to show sympathy for all those who out of work.

At least if she vacationed in Kennebunkport or Miami, those $dollars would have helped OUR economy.

Amen.

peace...

He has a curse when it comes to speaking. Always sounds condescending to me and little disingenuous.

It's because he doesn't care. He's a narcissist, all he cares about is hearing how wonderful he is. Notice that the left have accommodated him perfectly, and attempt to criticize is to be squashed. It's pathetic.
obama_superman_awesome1.jpg

If the U.S. economy were in good condition, or if the Obama's were known to be among the Nation's super-rich, Michelle Obama's conspicuous extravagance would be perfectly acceptable. But the Obama's derive from the lower middle class and the economy isn't in good condition. It is in terrible condition. In fact the U.S. is in debt to an embarrassing extent and Mrs. Obama's extravagance serves to loudly call attention to that fact.

Michelle could have taken the kind of vacation right here in the U.S. that the average American can only dream about and it would not have cost one tenth of what her showboating trip to Spain has cost the taxpayers. At a time when the focus of American politics should be on eliminating the kind of inequitable distribution of the Nation's resources which is typified by such conspicuous extravagance, what she has done precisely emulates the conduct of the super-rich.

Michelle Obama needs to understand that she is not a potentate. The American Presidency is an elected Office, it is not accession to royal status.

Forum List

Back