I quit

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that if participating in a forum is "emotionally abusive" for you, you should unplug your computer and check yourself into a padded facility where you can be wrapped in bubble wrap and protected from society. Maybe you can sit in your bubble wrap on a cozy chair and watch the wiggles all day, and dine on soft foods like jello and mashed potatoes.

I have no patience with people who lack the self control to deal with their own internet usage. LAME.

Last edited:
I have patience for people who suffer from addictions of any kind. Some people are addicted to using putdowns and being enraged.

I'm sorry you feel this way. The couple of months I've been on the board has been interesting to say the least. It takes a while, but I've been meeting some neat people here.

One shouldn't expect to change people's minds about politics. Most people's minds are fixed already, but it's fun to banter back and forth. I think you get out of a messageboard what you put into it. But you also have to find people that you can relate to.

I bid you peace.

I will have you know that my mind has been changed more than once in these forums. While I do have my beliefs, I also believe in an open mind and I will look at any facts the other side wants to present.

That said, it is rare when I change my mind and I have been posting on public message boards for more than 20 years.

I have patience for people who suffer from addictions of any kind. Some people are addicted to using putdowns and being enraged.

I play good guy/bad guy and never know who I am at any given time.

Fix me...please.

:eusa_angel:

Yes, that is correct. That is one of the most dissatisfying parts of internet friendships. It's too easy to drop out. Just because it's a cyber relationship doesn't make it less real to me. I have time and emotions invested. It may be my own fault, I don't have a great ability to guard myself. If I am a friend, I am a friend. I don't go halfway. That's my 2 cents.

I've lost a couple of internet friends over the years (they passed away) and I grieved for them. One of them I've especially missed this year as every winter he would send me pictures of elk wandering in the snow in his backyard. I do develop attachments on this stupid box. Some people are good people even if you just know them from a box.

I think that if participating in a forum is "emotionally abusive" for you, you should unplug your computer and check yourself into a padded facility where you can be wrapped in bubble wrap and protected from society. Maybe you can sit in your bubble wrap on a cozy chair and watch the wiggles all day, and dine on soft foods like jello and mashed potatoes.

I have no patience with people who lack the self control to deal with their own internet usage. LAME.

I have quit forums because of the way I was treated and it hurt. Of course I'm probably rare, but my real personality goes into my posts.

I think addiction, in many cases, should be translated: "Lacks self control." I can see that some people have a medical addiction to substances, but in other cases, it is an excuse for refusing to manage your own behavior.

Not really catz. It's not good for everyone to participate in a forum.

Here is an article by steve pavlina;

Effective Online Forum Usage by Steve Pavlina

Here's another article:
Overcoming Internet Forum Addiction: Admission is the First Step to Recovery - Associated Content

I don't know what reference you are making to Ravi discussing 'verbal rape' but certainly plenty of verbally abusive interchange goes on in on-line forms--reference cyber bullying.

your are right t o say not averybody partiiciapte in the forum but only i f it is there kind of forum.

I think addiction, in many cases, should be translated: "Lacks self control." I can see that some people have a medical addiction to substances, but in other cases, it is an excuse for refusing to manage your own behavior.

Well, that is certainly a debateable point. We are talking about compulsive behavior. Someone who has a compulsive habit it literally unable to engage self-control. That is the nature of addiction.

Medical substances,drugs and alcohol are not the only thing people become addicted to. Some people are addicted to gambling. Some are addicted to adrenaline.

There is a whole plethora of habits and addictions--many of them are behavioral.

perhaps thiis is not addicton like you say.i like t o go to forums to know what persons think abaout politique and society.this i s not addiction.

catz--

If you say so, others disagree. We'll just have to disagree. Is arguing addictive? It seems that way. It can become a compulsive habit.

The writer of the second article I posted calls forum posting 'ego masturbation' lol.

It has been a fun few months but I think that I should move on. I spend too much time in front of the computer as it is. Posting stuff and responding to stuff on a political bulletin board has been amusing but I don’t see that much comes of it. I maintain my point of view and other people cling to their point of view. Take care. May whatever you believe in give you peace this time of years and throughout the years to come.

I thinks it's rather a nice idea to announce departures. When people join it's hardly worth introducing yourself because who cares, really, you're an unknown at that point and no matter how honest you may be in your description of yourself, your posts will always speak more truthfully about who and what you are. Plus you can just put that stuff in your profile.

A farewell post is much more meaningful. They open the opportunity for holding memorials, virtual funerals, last wishes and tearful goodbyes. For example, if mani decided to head off to that old junkyard in the sky, he could ask his loyal old friend Shogun to look after Ravi for him.
I think banned people should be allowed one last post, like a last meal, before being axed. It's only the civilized to do.

And matt, you are right about people rarely changing their minds after a message board debate. But it does happen sometimes. I think it happened to me twice. Anyway, it's always still interesting to know what other people are thinking and why, so you can argue more effectively in real life. :tongue:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back