I pledge allegiance..

I don't know enough to care about this, but I did mildly laugh while saying "I do" when the man at the consulate asked whether the information I gave about my passport was in order as I felt the concept of a pledge was rather archaic and out of touch with the modern day (such pledges don't really exist in other nations). Maybe more people would be willing to say pledges if they changed them once and a while (and allowed a little artistic freedom). You know kept with the times. :rolleyes:

Personally I find it a shame I have to declare allegiance to a government run by a party I don't believe in, why can't I declare allegiance to the constitution as written and the people who wrote it? As opposed to the government that claims to follow it and doesn't much at all? :eusa_eh:

Last edited:
is the pledge of allegience really a form of mind control?

It is a form of programming. To pledge allegiance to a flag?

But then most people require an object or figurehead to pledge allegiance to.

what's wrong with that? is there something wrong with holding allegiance to your country?

i guess i'm just a mindcontrolled fool for feeling a sense of pride when i see the flag.

A flag is not my country. I do understand why most people see the flag as indivisable from our country.
I however do not worship objects or figureheads.
I just do not make a good serf.

what's wrong with that? is there something wrong with holding allegiance to your country?

i guess i'm just a mindcontrolled fool for feeling a sense of pride when i see the flag.

A flag is not my country. I do understand why most people see the flag as indivisable from our country.

what is your country? what do you worship?

I don't like flags, I don't like national anthems, I don't like a lot of things people define as symbols or creations of national identity but at the same time if people made me hold them or sing the national anthem I could tolerate it. But as for like it, not my idea of fun. Better to support the country itself rather than just symbols but I suppose some people are into symbols, don't buy into that myself. :eusa_eh:

I don't like flags, I don't like national anthems, I don't like a lot of things people define as symbols or creations of national identity but at the same time if people made me hold them or sing the national anthem I could tolerate it. But as for like it, not my idea of fun. Better to support the country itself rather than just symbols but I suppose some people are into symbols, don't buy into that myself. :eusa_eh:

what does that mean, better to support the country than just symbols?
i don't know, maybe i'm just not following what you guys are saying. to me, what you're saying is like, "yeah, i support the monetary system, but i'm not gonna use those stupid bills. i'm no one's serf."

Last edited:
Reciting the pledge is a way to form a collective identity, thereby placing the group on a higher level than the individual. It is especially more heinous to pledge allegiance to a flag that represents a government that is perpetrating all manners of evil in the name of this patriotism. I pledge allegiance to myself, not a political system.

If you do your proper history on the pledge, you will see how it is not innocent, it is not patriotic, and our Founders would not have agreed.

Reciting the pledge is a way to form a collective identity, thereby placing the group on a higher level than the individual

borg.gif

I ain't interested in being assimilated into any collective.

Forum List

Back