I pledge allegiance..

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Day in and day out children all across the United States begin their school day with a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. While this practice seems as American as the Fourth of July and apple pie, there is something very distressing with declaring your allegiance to a flag, and even worse impressing children with the idea that true patriotism comes from mindlessly reciting pledges and creeds, in drone-like fashion.

"I Pledge Allegiance?? | Libertarian Minds

Day in and day out children all across the United States begin their school day with a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. While this practice seems as American as the Fourth of July and apple pie, there is something very distressing with declaring your allegiance to a flag, and even worse impressing children with the idea that true patriotism comes from mindlessly reciting pledges and creeds in drone-like fashion.

Like the rosary...

Saying a pledge
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0]YouTube - Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher's I Pledge Video[/ame]

Last edited:
Day in and day out children all across the United States begin their school day with a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance. While this practice seems as American as the Fourth of July and apple pie, there is something very distressing with declaring your allegiance to a flag, and even worse impressing children with the idea that true patriotism comes from mindlessly reciting pledges and creeds, in drone-like fashion.

This type thinking has contributed to Americas downfall, United we stand divided we fall. All those who stress to divide shouldn't have the privilege to be called American.

Is harmless as the pledge is you have to admit it's some cute propaganda. I mean, who isn't allegiant to the republic? Do we need to a pledge to prove that we're not one of those non pledge evil doers? Aside from a harmless tradition I've never seen the point but then again I never questioned it as a kid like they do today. I can't help but loathe the silly fools who get bent over it's usage however.

No commentary with the story?

Anyway, pledging allegiance to your Nation . . . which is a real & tangible thing, is less problematic than the "one Nation, under God" part.

it's not mindless. when i was a kid we said the pledge, then we practiced "duck and cover".
it's ok to say the pledge, no one is being brainwashed.

Is harmless as the pledge is you have to admit it's some cute propaganda. I mean, who isn't allegiant to the republic? Do we need to a pledge to prove that we're not one of those non pledge evil doers? Aside from a harmless tradition I've never seen the point but then again I never questioned it as a kid like they do today. I can't help but loathe the silly fools who get bent over it's usage however.

The Books: ?Catch-22? (Joseph Heller) Excerpt 3 | The Sheila Variations

Captain Black had boundless faith in the wisdom, power and justice of Major —— de Coverley, even though he had never spoken to him before and still found himself without the courage to do so. He deputized Milo to speak to Major —— de Coverley for him and stormed out impatiently as he waited for the tall executive officer to return. Along with everyone else in the squadron, he lived in profound awe and reverence of the majestic, white-haired major with the craggy face and Jehovan bearing, who came back from Rome finally with an inuured eye inside a new celluloid eye patch and smashed his whole Glorious Crusade to bits with a single stroke.

Milo carefully said nothing when Major —— de Coverley stepped into the mess hall with his fierce and austere dignity the day he returned and found his way blocked by a wall of officers waiting in line to sign loyalty oaths. At the far end of the food counter, a group of men who had arrived earlier were pledging allegiance to the flag, with trays of food balanced in one hand, in order to be allowed to take seats at the table. Already at the tables, a group that had arrived still earlier was singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” in order that they might use the salt and pepper and ketchup there. The hubub began to subside slowly as Major —— de Coverley paused in the doorway with a frown of puzzled disapproval, as though viewing something bizarre. He started forward in a straight line, and the wall of officers before him parted like the Red Sea. Glancing neither left nor right, he strode indomitably up to the steam counter and, in a clear, full-bodied voice that was gruff with age and resonant with ancient eminence and authority, said:

“Gimme eat.”

Instead of eat, Corporal Snark gave Major —— de Coverley a loyalty oath to sign. Major —— de Coverley swept it away with mighty displeasure the moment he recognized what it was, his good eye flaring up blindingly with fiery disdain and his enormous old corrugated face darkening in mountainous wrath.

“Gimme eat, I said,” he ordered loudly in harsh tones that rumbled ominously through the silent tent like claps of distant thunder.

Corporal Snark turned pale and began to tremble. He glanced toward Milo pleadingly for guidance. For several terrible seconds there was not a sound. Then Milo nodded.

“Give him eat,” he said.

Corporal Snark began giving Major —— de Coverley eat. Major —— de Coverley turned from the counter with his tray full and came to a stop. His eyes fell on the groups of other officers gazing at him in mute appeal, and, with righteous belligerence, he roared:

“Give everybody eat!”

“Give everybody eat!” Milo echoed with joyful relief, and the Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade came to an end.

Captain Black was deeply disillusioned by this treacherous stab in the back from someone in high place upon whom he had relied so confidently for support. Major —— de Coverley had let him down.

“Oh, it doesn’t bother me a bit,” he responded cheerfully to everyone who came to him with sympathy. “We completed our task. Our purpose was to make everyone we don’t like afraid and to alert people to the danger of Major Major, and we certainly succeeded at that. Since we weren’t going to let him sign loyalty oaths anyway, it doesn’t really matter whether we have them or not.”

Fuck a flag.
Brainwashed idiots.

Attachments

• $flag.jpg
    $flag.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 121

Actually.. You can.

Back when I was in High school we said it every Monday, some kids chose to stand up some didn't.. And this was in North Carolina.

Just because some idiot principle or teacher Suspended the kid doesn't mean they can't.. In my opinion you shouldn't be forced to pledge anything if you don't want to.. It's not like you signed up for something knowing you have to. That's a different story.

"...and to the nation for which it stands."

How does that part fit in with the idea that the flag is a political symbol?

The law doesn't always reflect reality.

All the school has to do is say 'we didn't suspend you for not repeating the script; we suspended you for being a classroom distraction and disrupting the learning environment...' Kind like if I fire you because I don't learn you're pro-abortion, Ican't say I'm firing you because you're pro-abortion- I have to give no reason at all or say we felt you were no longer an asset to the company and we no longer required your services.

Forum List

Back