I play a lot of wargames

If you're talking computer games, anything that ends in "craft" is a sure bet (Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.). Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War is also a good one. Anything by Westwood (Command and Conquer) is another good bet. The Total War franchise is also a quite good if you don't mind a slightly slower pace.

If you're talking tabletop, go for the d20 minis games (D&D, Star Wars), Mage Knight, Hero Clix, or anything else with pre-painted minis if you like simplicity. They target an audience with a shorter attention span. If you prefer more depth, look up Games Workshop and see if you can get into Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, and Lord of the Rings. You have to assemble and paint the minis yourself, but that's half the fun and allows you to customize your army in ways you can't do with other minis.

Far Cry is a good first person shooter. I'm not really into these, but this one was good. If you have the Total War games, then nothing compares. Imperial Glory is good, but Total War is better.

I used to love playing Panzer General...I wish someone would come out with a newer version. Of course, I am an old guy so am used to playing a lot of the old Avalon Hill tabletop games like Squad Leader, Panzer Leader, etc.

First person shooters ala XBox are ok, but I like the tactical level/strategy games better.

CSM said:
I used to love playing Panzer General...I wish someone would come out with a newer version.

Panzer General is one of the best table top conversions ever made! I think it can be downloaded "free" by now - I did a year ago. Runs in compatibility mode (256 colors) under XP.

I'm continously searching for a new game like that. They could improve on AI and mission complexity. Damn. Now I got nostalgic. Got to find that CD.

Have you ever played the Civilization games?

I always liked those, though there're a bit slower paced than most RTS games.

I haven't played any new RTS games in awhile so i'm not too sure about whats good in the current market. The last one I bought was 40k Dawn of War, which is pretty good, but not very historical...

I heard a new C&C (Command and Conquer) is coming out soon though (not sure if its an expansion or a new standalone), i'd give that one a look even though, again, it isn't based entirely on historical armies... but then thats what the MODing community is for.

Heres a Vietnam based mod in the works for C&C. http://vietnam.cncguild.net/

Redhots said:
Have you ever played the Civilization games?

I always liked those, though there're a bit slower paced than most RTS games.

I haven't played any new RTS games in awhile so i'm not too sure about whats good in the current market. The last one I bought was 40k Dawn of War, which is pretty good, but not very historical...

I heard a new C&C (Command and Conquer) is coming out soon though (not sure if its an expansion or a new standalone), i'd give that one a look even though, again, it isn't based entirely on historical armies... but then thats what the MODing community is for.

Heres a Vietnam based mod in the works for C&C. http://vietnam.cncguild.net/

I used to play a lot of Civ as well....but still like things along the lines of panzer General better.

CSM said:
I used to love playing Panzer General...I wish someone would come out with a newer version. Of course, I am an old guy so am used to playing a lot of the old Avalon Hill tabletop games like Squad Leader, Panzer Leader, etc.

First person shooters ala XBox are ok, but I like the tactical level/strategy games better.

World in Flames was my favorite tabletop game.

Still play the Panzergeneral 1+2 on an old pent 350 win95.

Forum List

Back