I once went 12 years without firing a shot,

May 21, 2015
about halfway thru that, I dryfired and handled a 1911 for a few hours, over a weekend. Other than that, I did not touch a gun for that entire time. Yet, when I first tried slowfire with full charge .45's in a Gold cup, I got 5 out of 7 into 3" at 10 yds. One "flyer" opened the group to 4" and another to 5". Not one of those shots would have missed a man at 25 yds, and that is all the accuracy that anyone has ever proven that they could deliver, whilst they were being shot at.

A few weeks later, I ran a ccw'd "el Presidente", at 5 yds, tho, not 10 yds, with a 9mm Star compact, from under a shirt, in 8. 5 seconds. That is a 180 degree pivot, from the "surrender" hand position, and 2 hits on each of 3 chests, 3 yds distance between the targets, swap mags, 6 more such hits. This match-stage normally shot at 10 yds of distance from the shooter. I got all hits, and many a cop can't say the same, at that speed, at 5 yds. All I did was dryfire and gunhandle a bit before shooting "for the record.

The gun industry and the teachers and mag writers WANT you to believe that you have to fire lots of live centerfire rds, in order to stay adequately skilled, but it's just not true. That is, once you truly ARE skilled (which 90+% of shooters never really attain) at realistic civilian defensive stuff.

I no longer regard 10 yds as being practical to worry about for citizens, nor more than 2 attackers, nor more than one (most of the time). speed reloads, forget it. But you do need to be able to react, ccw draw and put a bullet into each of 2 chests, at 10 ft, in 1.5 seconds, with something of at least 9mm power levels. . If you know to use a front pants pocket rig and start with your hand in your pocket, this is an easy standard to achieve. with such a start, it CAN be done in 1 second flat. and that speed level can be maintained with just airsoft practice, too, once you achieve it with the 9mm.

Forum List

Back