I never want to hear any child say this

Focus on the bolded...what the hell sort of "community" are you proposing??

self sustaining resources based...grab a shovel..join the garden party...we could feed the world off our suburbs front lawns alone

I've always wondered why we pour water and chemicals on the land around our homes instead of using it to produce food. We even poison dandelions which produce very nutritional greens and pretty flowers.

The people in the video were losing their homes but how many people plant food instead of growing a lawn with the only purpose being to look better than your neighbors' lawns?

OTOH, I once read that the amount of O2 produced by our lawns more than makes up for the water we pour on them. I'm skeptical of that however.

I've always wondered why people buy houses they can't afford. Especially when they have unstable employment.

a job is where you have no real vested interest in the enterprise but a pay check

I have a career and have of vested interest in what I do, though it is not related to $. Some people actually love their jobs because of what they do, not because of how much money they make. The money is necessary to survive, but I could make a lot more money doing something else, something I didn't care about or enjoy/love doing. Then I'd have a job. Working for an employer does not mean a person has no vested interest in what they do and that it is all about the paycheck.

this video could have been made in just about any decade of our countries existence (if the technology existed ;)).

at the 1:23 mark a narrator comes in and says; "[that] we have a 1 strike you're out economy and the system that once was in place to cushion those crisis has been frayed".....

yes thats true and its always been true.

so whats your point? :eusa_eh:

a job is where you have no real vested interest in the enterprise but a pay check

pragmatically to the inth degree sure, its a place where you sell your labor for monies or specie to sustain yourself.......and you are usually given impetus to sharpen your labor contribution in the form of bonus's or a raise etc....*shrugs*

pragmatically to the inth degree sure, its a place where you sell your labor for monies or specie to sustain yourself.......and you are usually given impetus to sharpen your labor contribution in the form of bonus's or a raise etc....*shrugs*

You know, I never worked in a place where I didn't think my energies helped the company as well as myself. I have worked for the federal government though, where I was punished for being a good employee and was told to my face that as long as I was so good at my job I would never advance. Makes you really wonder about our government workers doesn't it? Especially if the good ones are guaranteed NOT to advance.

I don't know how to do less than my best, so when I had my son, I didn't go back and I swore that the federal government was the last place I'd ever look for work again.

OK Luddite, why don't you give us some statistics to back up your representation? How about:

1. Number of people who starve to death in the US.
2. Number of people who are underweight due to lack of food.
3. Number of people who have never heard of Food Stamps.
4. Number of people who are unaware that every church in the US has a food closet.
5. Number of people who trade food stamps for alcohol/drugs.
6. Number of people who use food stamps to purchase food for resale.
7. Correlation between poverty and obesity.

Need I go on?

Last edited:

You know, I never worked in a place where I didn't think my energies helped the company as well as myself. I have worked for the federal government though, where I was punished for being a good employee and was told to my face that as long as I was so good at my job I would never advance. Makes you really wonder about our government workers doesn't it? Especially if the good ones are guaranteed NOT to advance.

I don't know how to do less than my best, so when I had my son, I didn't go back and I swore that the federal government was the last place I'd ever look for work again.

I know exactly how you feel. I worked up until 4 years ago, private corps. (except of course for my military service) all of my working life.

I took a job after I was laid off for the Federal gov.

the people are pretty much great, but, thats were it begins and ends. The structure of the 'workplace' and working ethics, attitude and environment in getting the job done fosters zero of what I had previously experienced in the private sector.

Aside from my own personal sense of excellence and gratification, its a desert. My raises are no more or less than my peers, my work product can be shabby if I were a different person and it would be accepted becasue they have no real mechanism in place to award or reward, OR punish, initiative is not awarded or rewarded, so mediocrity is the rule, we take 3-4 the amount required of resources, $$ and time to get the same things done compared to my previous private sector employment places..etc. etc.

Forum List

Back