I need some car advice:

Toyota Financial Services, and most leasing companies, won't deal on the buyout price, since they own the vehicle.

The dealer might sweeten it if you bought a new car.

Luckily you don't get to speak for everyone; company, or individual.. And with the situation she's in, there's *nothing* that's off limits for "trying".

Yeah, you don't have to rub it in about the leasing. I feel like a fool, an idiot, and a blonde for doing that, trust me. I've beat myself over it so much already, it pisses me off to no end, and I don't get mad too often.

IT SUCKS!

First, call your insurance company. Most states require companies to wave the deductible for windshield replacement. Had mine replaced Thursday right in my driveway and it didn't cost me a dime.
So 2,000 miles @ 0/19/mile = $380. I'd pay up and buy a car.

Or luck out like I did and get left one in a will.

Last edited:
Some "friend"! Suckered you into a lease where he makes more money off of it than an outright sale. Friends like that nobody needs! Leasing only makes sense for certain types of businesses which is what leasing started out as. Then some schmuck figured out they could make more money leasing vehicles to an unwitting general public if they packaged it right.

As some of you know, I was stupid :mad: enough about 5 years ago to trust :rolleyes: an old friend who sold cars into LEASING my brand new RAV4 (2006) instead of buying it. :cuckoo: <<<< (me) :redface:

Well, now the lease will be up in March, and they want to 'sell' it to me for about $10,500-or I give it back. I've gone over the miles (about 2000 at 19 cents a mile) which I'll have to pay for, and have a crack in the windshield from some asshole dumptruck on the interstate, so I'll have to pay anywhere from $2000-2500 when I return it. :evil:

Should I just buy the car, and try to sell it myself? (The Blue Book is $15,000) or pay the $$ and buy a new (used) car? :confused:

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Forget blue book. Look in Craigs List to see what they are actually getting for that make and model. A windshield costs around two hundred dollars if you shop around. It is a quick repair. There are plenty of mobile companies that will do it at your home. They are also usually the cheapest. If you repair it and buy it and already have a buyer for it you can realize a nice profit. Do Your Homework!

As some of you know, I was stupid :mad: enough about 5 years ago to trust :rolleyes: an old friend who sold cars into LEASING my brand new RAV4 (2006) instead of buying it. :cuckoo: <<<< (me) :redface:

Well, now the lease will be up in March, and they want to 'sell' it to me for about $10,500-or I give it back. I've gone over the miles (about 2000 at 19 cents a mile) which I'll have to pay for, and have a crack in the windshield from some asshole dumptruck on the interstate, so I'll have to pay anywhere from $2000-2500 when I return it. :evil:

Should I just buy the car, and try to sell it myself? (The Blue Book is $15,000) or pay the $$ and buy a new (used) car? :confused:

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Don't beat yourself up over it...What's done is done.

In the end you need a car and I suppose you'd be spending the same kind of money.

No where else will you get a $15k car for$10.5 that you already know you love.

Definitely true what people are saying about the windshield...Call your insurance company cuz there's some sort of safety regulation that requires coverage, but it may vary state to state?

If you don't have the cash for the car just get the lowest interest rate loan possible with a monthly payment you can handle. Lowest possible and shortest term, even if it's higher payment will save you money so you can feel better about that loss on the other end. And I wouldn't be afraid to try to negotiate that $10.5 down either...

In effect you will have now bought a pre-owned vehicle, which should come with a 30 point inspection and a warranty, and that is what you should do next time too!

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

blue book doesn't mean thats what you will get EZ, And if they could get blue book why sell it you for less? I'd discount that by 10%. So lets say 13500. You'd have to repair the windshield and you may not sell it right away. So 13k? You have to pay them a balloon payment no matter what right? How much is that? Minus that from this 13k , where does that leave you?

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

blue book doesn't mean thats what you will get EZ, And if they could get blue book why sell it you for less? I'd discount that by 10%. So lets say 13500. You'd have to repair the windshield and you may not sell it right away. So 13k? You have to pay them a balloon payment no matter what right? How much is that? Minus that from this 13k , where does that leave you?

Why sell it to you for less? Answer: Because leases have a contractual buyout figure in them.

I'd discount it by 10%. Really? I'd use the Kelley Blue Book figure and let my buyer negoiate.

Warning: NADA, Kelley Blue Book and Black Book all vary by quite a bit these days. I'd recommend looking @ cars.com or autotrader.com to see what similiar cars are selling for in your area.

Windshields are usually $250-500. Your mileage is $380. I don't see the $2000 - 2500 figure.

If you are not planning on keeping the car, do not assume the risk of market value and possible additional repairs a used car might develop or have unknown to you.

If you like the car, it sounds like you can get it at a fair price. I'd have a mechanic check it over and if it checks out, buy it.

Disclaimer: I sell cars.

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

You don't get do-overs in life or lease contracts. Throw out the hurt feelings part and assume that whatever you do, you are starting out without a car. If you like the Rav4 and feel like the 10 grand is a good price, then buy it. If you feel the deal is better for a different car, do that.

You can only move forward from the place you are.

In the future, skip the lease and buy the returned leased vehicle that some one else returned.

The only cars I buy are 5 years old, have fewer than 50K miles and are the top of the line for whatever manufacturer produced it. This description means that it was driven conservatively by a guy who took care of it and it has all the bells and buzzers and whoppee that I like in a car.

Oh! And it's about a third of the price of the thing new.

Get an Amex Gold card and you have free roadside assistance nationwide.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn."

Last edited:

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Maybe I am not seeing the whole picture here. You only owe $380.00 for 2000 miles. How much was the down & monthly payments?. Seems if you are going to lease, you get a new one every year. You don't have smog, tire wear, mechanical wear, etc. No sales taxes. Insurance?

Times are bad now, no one buying leased cars, so offer them 50% of Blue, IF you want the car, and see about an extended warranty. Also price the same car from the seller lots at the rental agencies and see what they are selling for.

Frankly, I would continue to lease or buy a new car. But like renting, if you get a hole in a roof, it's the landlords problem, a big expensive problem.

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

You don't get do-overs in life or lease contracts. Throw out the hurt feelings part and assume that whatever you do, you are starting out without a car. If you like the Rav4 and feel like the 10 grand is a good price, then buy it. If you feel the deal is better for a different car, do that.

You can only move forward from the place you are.

In the future, skip the lease and buy the returned leased vehicle that some one else returned.

The only cars I buy are 5 years old, have fewer than 50K miles and are the top of the line for whatever manufacturer produced it. This description means that it was driven conservatively by a guy who took care of it and it has all the bells and buzzers and whoppee that I like in a car.

Oh! And it's about a third of the price of the thing new.

Get an Amex Gold card and you have free roadside assistance nationwide.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn."

Good advice!!! All car rentals sell them off every year. The more expensive ones are rented less, simply because that is all corporations and insurance companies pay for. What ever you do, don't buy a plastic gas-guzzling Hummer.:eusa_angel:

I'd definately fix the windshield, it isnt that expensive. If you keep it, you can lower your insurance but keep as much as you can afford.

I think if you are getting another one anyway, it's worth consideration to put money into this one and not have a car payment.

It's the devil you know theory..

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Reads to me like the numbers you provided tell us the story.

It's cheaper to keep her.
Now unless you tell us that you won't be needing a car, consider that you KNOW this car and you probably have a very good idea of its condition.

You won't KNOW that if you buy a used car to replace the one you have now.

And if you buy a new car or a used car from a dealer you KNOW that you're paying them some profit (immediate loss).

So what can you get for $10.5K on a lot that you don't have right now?

Keeping it seems like the best choice given the circumstances.​

Forum List

Back