I need some car advice:

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
As some of you know, I was stupid :mad: enough about 5 years ago to trust :rolleyes: an old friend who sold cars into LEASING my brand new RAV4 (2006) instead of buying it. :cuckoo: <<<< (me) :redface:

Well, now the lease will be up in March, and they want to 'sell' it to me for about $10,500-or I give it back. I've gone over the miles (about 2000 at 19 cents a mile) which I'll have to pay for, and have a crack in the windshield from some asshole dumptruck on the interstate, so I'll have to pay anywhere from $2000-2500 when I return it. :evil:

Should I just buy the car, and try to sell it myself? (The Blue Book is $15,000) or pay the $$ and buy a new (used) car? :confused:

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Can you run over your 'friend' before giving the car back?

*Disclaimer: the above is for comedic purposes only and should not be taken for an encouragement or incitement to harm another human being.*

Yeah, you don't have to rub it in about the leasing. I feel like a fool, an idiot, and a blonde for doing that, trust me. I've beat myself over it so much already, it pisses me off to no end, and I don't get mad too often.

IT SUCKS!

As some of you know, I was stupid :mad: enough about 5 years ago to trust :rolleyes: an old friend who sold cars into LEASING my brand new RAV4 (2006) instead of buying it. :cuckoo: <<<< (me) :redface:

Well, now the lease will be up in March, and they want to 'sell' it to me for about $10,500-or I give it back. I've gone over the miles (about 2000 at 19 cents a mile) which I'll have to pay for, and have a crack in the windshield from some asshole dumptruck on the interstate, so I'll have to pay anywhere from $2000-2500 when I return it. :evil:

Should I just buy the car, and try to sell it myself? (The Blue Book is $15,000) or pay the $$ and buy a new (used) car? :confused:

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

Would your insurance cover the cracked windshield?

I dunno EZ, just take the hit and go on? Autos are not an investment they are a flush down the drain expense in any case.

Last edited:
EZ, you should seek proper advice:

images

See if the insurance would cover the windshield. This is why I have 'comprehensive'. Second, If you love the car, seriously consider buying it if it's worth 5k more than what they're offering for it. You can keep it another year, and trade it in then for a new one then possibly.

I dunno. I just borked my car for good (split the engine block almost in half) so I'm having the same problem but luckilly I'm doing an even trade with the mechanic... kinda even, but it gets me in a car again fast.

Sounds like lesson learned to me otherwise. Never lease, only buy and then trade in, in 3 years or so.

Well, is it OK mechanically? I mean, you're basically having to pay for another car, but keeping the one you have. If you think it'll last another 5 years, buy it.

Or ask around to some dealers and give them the year, model, style, mileage etc and see what they would offer you theoretically as a trade in for it. If it's greater than $12,500, purchase it and use it as a trade in on a purchase (but not another lease!!).

Your insurance company will replace your windshield no questions asked. In fact, they often send someone to do it right in your driveway.

What would you do?

Help Please!

And thank you!

I'd tell them they can sell it to me for about $8000, or you can return it, pay the overage, and they'll have to leave it sit on their lot until they sell it, because regardless of the fact that it's worth $15,000, nobody's going to pay that when they can get a newer used one for a little more. (I think I paid $28000 for my '08 IN '08).

Then I'd learn my lesson, and never lease again...

Depends on the level of friends as to whether to do business with them or not.
Never do business with family though.

I doubt Toyota Financial Services, if that's who's holding the paper, would deal on the buyout price. They really don't do that.

Your dealer might eat the overage if you bought a new car there.

Used Rav4's are VERY hard to come by - people absolutely love them. But, everyone's willing to deal - you just need to learn where their starting point is.

My dealer had to *find* me one, and when they finally did, I still didn't pay sticker price for it, AND I got a full 7-year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for free.

If it books for $15k, that's not a bad offer. Try going in and offering $10k plus ask them to eat the overage on the miles, and the windshield cost. Hell it never hurts to ask. Just low-ball an offer and see where you end up. Consider the lease payments as if they were loan payments on the original list price.

Forum List

Back