I need some advice

farmer

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2011
east central mn
I have a questionabout military pensions. How long do you have to be married to someone tobe able to draw on their pension. My sister inlaw has got to get away from her nut case husband and I don't want her to lose any legal rights. Thanks in advance

I have a questionabout military pensions. How long do you have to be married to someone tobe able to draw on their pension. My sister inlaw has got to get away from her nut case husband and I don't want her to lose any legal rights. Thanks in advance

tell her to call her local bar association for a referral.

"A former spouse is entitled to one-half of the amount that accrued during the marriage. Another common mistake: failing to file for survivor benefits during the divorce process. This could lead to an ex-spouse's benefits stopping when a service member dies.

Even after the divorce, he says, conflicts can continue. If the member applies for a disability rating, for example, benefits to the former spouse might be reduced or stopped, requiring more legal battles to determine who should get what money, and why."

Conquering Retirement: Splitting Up a Rich Military Pension - WSJ.com

Military Divorce - Division of Retirement Pay in Military Divorce

What makes him a nut case? Has there been infidelity or abuse? Otherwise, what happened to "for better or for worse, forsaking all others, till death do they part?"

Or is it just so long as it is convenient, he makes her happy and it is profitable for her? As soon as his mental faculties start to decline, he needs help and is no longer a good specimen for a husband. . . well, then just suck dry what ever financial resources are available from his husk and throw him away, is that how we work as a nation now? That's pretty much how popular culture has conditioned us, hasn't it?

Have her contact her local bar association if they are no longer on active duty or reserve duty? Otherwise, she can contact the Judge Advocate General's office at the nearest military reservation and make an appointment to talk to Legal Assistance.

Are you OK, MisterBeale?

You sound unstable.

What makes him a nut case? Has there been infidelity or abuse? Otherwise, what happened to "for better or for worse, forsaking all others, till death do they part?"

Or is it just so long as it is convenient, he makes her happy and it is profitable for her? As soon as his mental faculties start to decline, he needs help and is no longer a good specimen for a husband. . . well, then just suck dry what ever financial resources are available from his husk and throw him away, is that how we work as a nation now? That's pretty much how popular culture has conditioned us, hasn't it?

Are you OK, MisterBeale?

You sound unstable.

Yup, just fine. I'm just wondering what makes a woman think she has any rights to veterans benefits if she is unsure if she has even been with a guy long enough to qualify for them. Doesn't that speak toward the woman's motives for marrying the guy in the first place? He made her feel nice, like a princess, but most of all, he was a ticket to security. Once he quit making her feel like a queen, if she feels like some other guy can, than all she needs to do is find out if she can take that meal ticket with her. (Hence, slander and libel the guy she is with. I'm not fan of women denigrating our veterans.) If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times.

I don't want to be accused of being a misogynist here, but if there is really just cause for dissolving the union, then get out of the marriage and forget about the money, quit trying to get money you don't deserve. If not, take your fucking vows seriously. The whole scenario seems suspect to me. If she is wondering if she has been in the marriage long enough to qualify for taking half of his money. . . c'mon, wake up.

Christ. What happened to morality in this country.

If on the other hand, if there really is just cause for dissolving the union, sure, get an attorney. Of course she is seeking free advice, that is what a gold digger does. :cool:

What she should instead seek advice on is how to bring magic back into the marriage. She was good at snagging a meal ticket, how about getting advice on making HIM feel special now? How about advice on making a successful marriage.

Apparently she listens to too much pop music, reads to many fairy tales, and watches too many god damned Hollywood movies telling her how her life should be, not how it is. There is no such thing as self-sacrifice in this nation any more, so when we feel it, it is fait accompli and cause to throw off that uncomfortable feeling. And we have been given permission, by our peers, by our schools, by the media, by society. No one can bear such a thing unless they truly feel real unconditional love. It is not for the selfish and unworthy surely.

Hell, how dare I bring up such a thing? I myself am accused of either being a fool or a madman by the morally and ethically infirm. :doubt:

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool."
~ Plato.

If I know veterans and the problems the have, the demons they deal with. . . he probably needs her now more than ever. . . .

You sound as one-sided as you believe the other side to be.

The truth is somewhere in between.

Are you OK, MisterBeale?

You sound unstable.

Yup, just fine. I'm just wondering what makes a woman think she has any rights to veterans benefits if she is unsure if she has even been with a guy long enough to qualify for them. Doesn't that speak toward the woman's motives for marrying the guy in the first place? He made her feel nice, like a princess, but most of all, he was a ticket to security. Once he quit making her feel like a queen, if she feels like some other guy can, than all she needs to do is find out if she can take that meal ticket with her. (Hence, slander and libel the guy she is with. I'm not fan of women denigrating our veterans.) If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times.

I don't want to be accused of being a misogynist here, but if there is really just cause for dissolving the union, then get out of the marriage and forget about the money, quit trying to get money you don't deserve. If not, take your fucking vows seriously. The whole scenario seems suspect to me. If she is wondering if she has been in the marriage long enough to qualify for taking half of his money. . . c'mon, wake up.

Christ. What happened to morality in this country.

If on the other hand, if there really is just cause for dissolving the union, sure, get an attorney. Of course she is seeking free advice, that is what a gold digger does. :cool:

What she should instead seek advice on is how to bring magic back into the marriage. She was good at snagging a meal ticket, how about getting advice on making HIM feel special now? How about advice on making a successful marriage.

Apparently she listens to too much pop music, reads to many fairy tales, and watches too many god damned Hollywood movies telling her how her life should be, not how it is. There is no such thing as self-sacrifice in this nation any more, so when we feel it, it is fait accompli and cause to throw off that uncomfortable feeling. And we have been given permission, by our peers, by our schools, by the media, by society. No one can bear such a thing unless they truly feel real unconditional love. It is not for the selfish and unworthy surely.

Hell, how dare I bring up such a thing? I myself am accused of either being a fool or a madman by the morally and ethically infirm. :doubt:

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught in falsehoods school. And the one man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool."
~ Plato.

According to law, not according to ethics and morality. I give my word and my vow, I keep it.

I guess yours is. . . . "somewhere in between"

Make sure you tell people and who ever you marry, or your spouse, that your vows are subject to terms and conditions . . .

I seem to recall HALF of the active duty servicemembers career - and you're entitled. IE - the guy does 20, you're married to him for 10 years, you split up, you're good to go. But who knows in today's military.

I have been with two women in my life, the two women I married. My first wife died many years ago. My second wife has been my best friend and companion for twenty years.

What you believe about marriage does not matter or has any bearing for anyone else.

Your language, your bitterness, your unhappiness in your language is so apparent, and is not a path people would want to follow willingly.

Life it too short to miserable because somebody does not love and does not want to be married to you any more.

According to law, not according to ethics and morality. I give my word and my vow, I keep it.

I guess yours is. . . . "somewhere in between"

Make sure you tell people and who ever you marry, or your spouse, that your vows are subject to terms and conditions . . .

Have her contact her local bar association if they are no longer on active duty or reserve duty? Otherwise, she can contact the Judge Advocate General's office at the nearest military reservation and make an appointment to talk to Legal Assistance.

Right. Here in VA, if one is getting a divorce from an active duty member of the military, the circuit court will not handle it.

Forum List

Back