I need Sarah's help skinning a deer.

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
I think Sarah should write a, "How to skin a deer/moose book". Times are tough and the groceries are short so local hunters provided us with a deer for the meat. No how do I get the skin off of it so i can cut the meat off the bones?

I think Sarah should write a, "How to skin a deer/moose book". Times are tough and the groceries are short so local hunters provided us with a deer for the meat. No how do I get the skin off of it so i can cut the meat off the bones?

Get yourself a golf ball and a lenght of rope. You can have it done in about 5 minutes.

I hope they gutted it before they brought it to you.

Hang it up by its achilles, use a sharp knife, and start cutting between the skin and the white stuff that covers the bone. Pull the skin down (hard) and use the knife to help it along.

Try to avoid getting hair on the meat. Let it hang as long as you can, provided it's cold where it's hanging (not freezing). Hose it off if it has dirt/hair on it. Hair will make it taste nasty.

I hope they gutted it before they brought it to you.

Hang it up by its achilles, use a sharp knife, and start cutting between the skin and the white stuff that covers the bone. Pull the skin down (hard) and use the knife to help it along.

Try to avoid getting hair on the meat. Let it hang as long as you can, provided it's cold where it's hanging (not freezing). Hose it off if it has dirt/hair on it. Hair will make it taste nasty.
It is gutted. No way to hang it though. It's still half frozen from being in my daughter's out building the last week.

How To Skin A Whitetail Deer

You'd better find a way to hang it. It's almost impossible to skin otherwise, and it will be rolling around in the filth and hair.

Good grief...it's had it's hide on it for a week in your daughter's out building? Buddy, I'm thinking you're going to have some rank venison.

Use a 2x4 hung from a rafter or tree trunk, and hang it from that.

How To Skin A Whitetail Deer

You'd better find a way to hang it. It's almost impossible to skin otherwise, and it will be rolling around in the filth and hair.

Good grief...it's had it's hide on it for a week in your daughter's out building? Buddy, I'm thinking you're going to have some rank venison.

Use a 2x4 hung from a rafter or tree trunk, and hang it from that.
It has been frrozen solid snce the first day they hung it. It is still frozen. I could not get the skin loose at all before it thawed a bit. Thanks for the link I'll look. We have a two hundred pound dog. Nothing goes to waste here.

Take it to an abattior and let the pros do it.

Seriously, you'll get far more meat cut, and it will be processed correctly if you do that.

It's worth the investment.

we have done a deer without hanging but its a mess...we had a stainless steel counter and all to work on.....why did they give you the deer to begin with....

war on christmas is my guess-it's Rudolph

o hell that is just funny but i agree with editec ....if the meat isnt done right it will spoil it

we were all very drunk and suddenly skinning the deer on the counter seemed easier than stringing it...very very very drunk..but in all fairness we had the tools and know how to do it..did i mention we were real drunk...shit we didnt have the sense to leave it alone.....o and we were making sausage...so that may have been why we could do it on the counter...

o hell that is just funny but i agree with editec ....if the meat isnt done right it will spoil it

we were all very drunk and suddenly skinning the deer on the counter seemed easier than stringing it...very very very drunk..but in all fairness we had the tools and know how to do it..did i mention we were real drunk...shit we didnt have the sense to leave it alone.....o and we were making sausage...so that may have been why we could do it on the counter...

Well damn--if I knew you were a skinner. I woulda let you have done the two
I shot yesterday. Still gotta bone em out so get drunk and clean the counter.:lol:

o great now we are killing little bambis...pay for the plane ticket...and i am game.....its gonna be 8 degrees here sunday lol...i will be the shiva of deer

o great now we are killing little bambis...pay for the plane ticket...and i am game.....its gonna be 8 degrees here sunday lol...i will be the shiva of deer

Shit--I thought you were gonna use YOUR counter ? I don't want you all drunk and messnig shit up over here. I mean hell--the butcher will skin, grind,steak, and wrap it all for $70 bucks. :lol:

i've "made sausage" on the counter, but no deer were involved.
oh-nevermind.

Forum List

Back