I need PS2 Online help!

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, I got a Network Adapter on Saturday. I hooked it up to the PS2, plugged it into my router and did the whole thing with the setup disc. I left all the IP adresses and whatnot as 'autoset' or whatever it says. Then, I tested my online status and all and it connected, no problem. But, then, I tried to play a game, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, and it kept saying it couldn't find a connection or the server or something. So I tried THUG 1, and got the same message. I tried messing around with it a little and all I succeeded in doing is making the internet not work on my computer for a few minutes.

Do you guys have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is it because I'm running through a router? Is there some kind of firewall on the router that I'm not aware of? I tried manually putting in the IP adress and other numbers, and then it wouldn't even connect during the setup process. I'm somewhat computer literate, but this has me stumped. Anyone wanna help?

Oh, by the way, with the router, it's a wireless Netgear router, my roommate's computer is running directly into the router, and I'm hooked up through a wireless connection.

To determine if it is the router, simply take the connection out of the router and plug it directly into the PS2. If it connects then youve solved the first part of the problem. If it doesnt work, then there is a larger problem at work (like the servers you tried to use were down at the time or something.)

Most likely its the router. To comabt this, you have to set the PS2 IP as being outside of the firewall that the router sets up.

The third option that could also be likely is that the Wireless connection is losing too much bandwidth for these games to allow you to play. Some games require a certain min bandwidth to connect to their server in order to provide some sort of consistency for all gamers.

Try pluggin it in direct from the router first and then get back to me. Ive had the problem before.

I tried plugging directly into the modem and got the same screen.

Question: if I'm using a modem that's going into a router that's doing 2 other computers, too, would that be considered a LAN? Because I've just been setting it to 'cable modem' not 'LAN'.

Are you at a college or is this a private residence? Cause if you plugged it in directly from the modem, then its a problem on the games end with their server. If you only tried THUG, then try to play another game like MAdden or socom to see if that doesnt work either.

I'm at a private residence.

When I first set it up, I just did all automatic setup stuff, should I try to go back and like manually put in my username, p-word, etc?

The only games I've tried it on are THUG and THUG2. I'll try renting a different game when I get some cash together or something.

Dan said:
I tried plugging directly into the modem and got the same screen.

Question: if I'm using a modem that's going into a router that's doing 2 other computers, too, would that be considered a LAN? Because I've just been setting it to 'cable modem' not 'LAN'.

LAN would be if you were to direct connect to someone over your own network, that's all. LAN skips going through the 'net.

As to your problem, I have no ideers. Sorry.

Forum List

Back