I need ideas for the cheapest laptop out there!

But one that works ok.

Will I be able to find one for around 400 bucks?

:eusa_pray:

400 ... ouch, that's not much, look into the used computer stores or a netbook. Laptops tend to be much more than desktops because they are smaller, they also cost a fortune when they break unless you can fix it yourself.

Try Walmart.. I've seen some as cheap as $400.. Just keep in mind when it comes to stuff like that, you get exactly what you pay for...

Thanks for the ideas. The almost 14 year old (this Sunday! ) wants to use all her birthday money to buy one. (I figure she'll get about $400 from all the grandparents plus what I give her)

She wants a Dell Laptop, she saw one advertised for $499-but I know that they all have hidden costs after that, right?

Thanks for the ideas. The almost 14 year old (this Sunday! ) wants to use all her birthday money to buy one. (I figure she'll get about $400 from all the grandparents plus what I give her)

She wants a Dell Laptop, she saw one advertised for $499-but I know that they all have hidden costs after that, right?

Usually they do, and they don't tell you until after you buy it ...

That's why I say go to a used computer store, they are usually more up front about all their costs and prices (refurbished is used BTW). Just shop around and be sure you get what you pay for.

I don't recommend the extra $ for the extended warranty and service stuff. It's just not worth it unless something really catastrophic happens, and usually the mfg will repair or replace anyway in almost any circumstance.

These "extended" plans can add $200 or more to the price tag. Not a good investment IMO.

A cheap computer that fits in your lap?

abacus-1-AJHD.jpg
\

But one that works ok.

Just remember, the cheaper you go, the sooner it will become obsolete.
Of course, part of that depends upon what the intended usage will be. If it's just for surfing the internet and doing some word processing you can be fine for $400.
If you want to use Adobe Photoshop or play graphic intensive games you better spend a bit more. KK may beg to differ with me, but she also knows how to use something other than Windows to control a computer.

But one that works ok.

Of course, part of that depends upon what the intended usage will be. If it's just for surfing the internet and doing some word processing you can be fine for $400.
If you want to use Adobe Photoshop or play graphic intensive games you better spend a bit more. KK may beg to differ with me, but she also knows how to use something other than Windows to control a computer.

Remember, it's for a 14 year old girl. For the other stuff, she can do it on this computer.

But one that works ok.

Remember, it's for a 14 year old girl. For the other stuff, she can do it on this computer.

She isn't going to be 14 forever.

Aaah ... but by the time she needs more she could probably buy one herself ... I would think anyway. ;)

Yes, but we are not rich either. If she wants a laptop, she will use her birthday money to buy it. How much $$ she ends up with will be equal to the quality of laptop she can buy.

That's just how I roll.

Forum List

Back