I Need a Laptop

Library? wasn't there something about the govt tracking what books you checked out under Bush?

And as I recall most right wingers seemed to support the move.

For portable computing, I really like my Asus EP-121. It's even powerful enough to edit videos on. It fits in my existing camera bag. It runs 64 bit windows. Have had mine for over a year now and the screen still looks new and scratch free. 5 Stars!

Time for me to move into the 21st Century and get a wireless laptop.

I don't need the best nor do I want the worst.

So what's good for around $500?

And what should I avoid?

I was in your exact situation. Did not want the best , but also didn't need the worst.
I went to the IBM website, and bought a $ 2,000.00 dollar IBM/ Lenovo T500 Think Pad lap
top computer, used for $500 dollars. And I am very surprized at the functionality and speed of this lap top computer. I have used Dell, Mac books, and hp lap tops, but this IBM lap top
is fastest one I have used to date, and secure, with a finger print security reader device.
Think IBM Think pad. You will be glad you bought one, as I am.
Also, IBM think Pad Laptops, have a special radiator like cooling system that makes them the coolest runing laptop out there.
And we know how hot laptop computers can get.!
The one I have the T500 is the coolest runing laptop I have ever used.

Last edited:
Get an i pad. Why not? Apple also offers something called a "mac mini", not as portable, you need to supply the peripherals and it has no internal disc drive, both basic models can be found for around 500 smackers. Or you can go with a cheap, refurbished PC laptop that is as finicky and unpredictable and as a house cat or buy a cheapie at your local Wal-Mart.

Get an i pad. Why not? Apple also offers something called a "mac mini", not as portable, you need to supply the peripherals and it has no internal disc drive, both basic models can be found for around 500 smackers. Or you can go with a cheap, refurbished PC laptop that is as finicky and unpredictable and as a house cat or buy a cheapie at your local Wal-Mart.

Why not? Because an iPad sucks donkeyballs (or any tablet pc) for productive people. There is no office on it, and writing documents on a touch screen is the suck. Yea buy a bluetooth keyboard then you say.. but then wtf is the point.. might as well get a real laptop!

get an i pad. Why not? Apple also offers something called a "mac mini", not as portable, you need to supply the peripherals and it has no internal disc drive, both basic models can be found for around 500 smackers. Or you can go with a cheap, refurbished pc laptop that is as finicky and unpredictable and as a house cat or buy a cheapie at your local wal-mart.

why not? Because an ipad sucks donkeyballs (or any tablet pc) for productive people. There is no office on it, and writing documents on a touch screen is the suck. Yea buy a bluetooth keyboard then you say.. But then wtf is the point.. Might as well get a real laptop!
a
c
e
r
http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/ac700-home

Last edited:
I got an HP a couple of years ago and it is used for 3-4 hours everyday, sometimes more. And that is everyday, 7 days a week. Works fine.

Why not? Because an iPad sucks donkeyballs (or any tablet pc) for productive people. There is no office on it, and writing documents on a touch screen is the suck. Yea buy a bluetooth keyboard then you say.. but then wtf is the point.. might as well get a real laptop!

When people ask me what computer to buy, my first response is to ask what they want to do with it?

A surprising number of people respond that they just want to send email, watch Youtube and surf the web. IF that is what the person wants to do, then a tablet is a the perfect device. I'm not going to recommend an iPad, but a tablet does these things cheaply, in an ultra-portable package.

Buy a device that fits what you are going to do. I run a few domains and generally have a dozen RDP sessions going, along with SQL Management Studio, Gimp, Outlook, Visio, Project and an odd VNC or two running. I want as much CPU and RAM as I can get. But for those who just want to surf the web, it's extraneous.

When people ask me what computer to buy, my first response is to ask what they want to do with it?

A surprising number of people respond that they just want to send email, watch Youtube and surf the web. IF that is what the person wants to do, then a tablet is a the perfect device. I'm not going to recommend an iPad, but a tablet does these things cheaply, in an ultra-portable package.

I agree fully. But do you ask them.. do you need to write word documents or excel?

Because then the whole ball game changes, and an tablet sucks donkey balls for that. Even for games other than Angry Birds, it kinda sucks also. Hell websurfing is also a tad sucky because of the on board screen keyboard. It simply just does not replace a real keyboard.. and then yea you can buy a bluetooth keyboard, but then wtf is the point!

I have many customers who own iPads or similar Android tablets, and they only use it to read the morning newspaper or send a fast email. Anything else is a hellish process on a tablet computer.. just try posting a post on these boards that is just more than 10 lines...

Buy a device that fits what you are going to do. I run a few domains and generally have a dozen RDP sessions going, along with SQL Management Studio, Gimp, Outlook, Visio, Project and an odd VNC or two running. I want as much CPU and RAM as I can get. But for those who just want to surf the web, it's extraneous.

I agree, no use using 1000 dollars for a pc, when 500 would do just fine. That is why I would never recommend buying an Apple PC/Laptop, because there is always a cheaper alternative that is just as good and more than enough for what the person wants to do with it.

Its like the joke about the guy who said to his girlfriend to go out and buy her a PC because he was tired she used his to look at facebook. She came back with a 2000 dollar Mac Book Pro because her girl friends said Apple was cool.

I agree fully. But do you ask them.. do you need to write word documents or excel?

Because then the whole ball game changes, and an tablet sucks donkey balls for that. Even for games other than Angry Birds, it kinda sucks also. Hell websurfing is also a tad sucky because of the on board screen keyboard. It simply just does not replace a real keyboard.. and then yea you can buy a bluetooth keyboard, but then wtf is the point!

I have many customers who own iPads or similar Android tablets, and they only use it to read the morning newspaper or send a fast email. Anything else is a hellish process on a tablet computer.. just try posting a post on these boards that is just more than 10 lines...

I agree that writing a document of crunching a spreadsheet makes no sense on a tablet. My wife does Facebook on her Xoom, but she posts using voice rather than the keyboard. Google speech interpreter works superbly. I don't know that I would try to use these boards with it, though.

I agree, no use using 1000 dollars for a pc, when 500 would do just fine. That is why I would never recommend buying an Apple PC/Laptop, because there is always a cheaper alternative that is just as good and more than enough for what the person wants to do with it.

Its like the joke about the guy who said to his girlfriend to go out and buy her a PC because he was tired she used his to look at facebook. She came back with a 2000 dollar Mac Book Pro because her girl friends said Apple was cool.

One reason to buy a Mac, and only one, the illusion of being cool.

I love my little lappy..

Alienware M17x (2011)

According to me Lenovo is one of the best laptop which has most used features. It has wonderful configuration to make our using experience easy and fast. There are lots of other features which is really very interesting than any other laptop brand.

Forum List

Back