I moved!

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Just moved into a new apartment, the third floor of a house down the street.
I am wondering if anyone has a link to broadband possibilities.

I think my options now are Comcast cable (this is what I have been using), satellite(have the hookups in the new place, seems to be $100 per month though which is WAY too much) or DSL through the phone company.

Thanks. I've been doing some searching on the web, but feel there may be some ISP's out there that I'm missing.

-James (The Happy Homemaker)

Well,I don't know anything about the broadband possiblities,but I hope you enjoy your new apartment. It's nice having something new and different.

:)

Hey Flasher, hope the new digs are great! Have fun with your cooking skills, I know you enjoy! :dance:

nycflasher said:
Just moved into a new apartment, the third floor of a house down the street.
I am wondering if anyone has a link to broadband possibilities.

I think my options now are Comcast cable (this is what I have been using), satellite(have the hookups in the new place, seems to be $100 per month though which is WAY too much) or DSL through the phone company.

Thanks. I've been doing some searching on the web, but feel there may be some ISP's out there that I'm missing.

-James (The Happy Homemaker)

Here in Vegas my cable company provides me with a complete package for email, ISP (cable modem - very fast), digital cable, local stations, etc. It is right at $100 a month as the total package. DSL will probably be as low as $9.99 a month, but DSL is only as good as the wires that it travels over to get to your home. If it is an old home, it will probably not be much faster than dial-up.

freeandfun1 said:
Here in Vegas my cable company provides me with a complete package for email, ISP (cable modem - very fast), digital cable, local stations, etc. It is right at $100 a month as the total package. DSL will probably be as low as $9.99 a month, but DSL is only as good as the wires that it travels over to get to your home. If it is an old home, it will probably not be much faster than dial-up.

Might consider satellite just for cable. Except, I was just at my local Dunkin Donuts on this rainy day and they were having trouble with theirs due to weather...

I think I'm leaning towards cable internet/tv package like you mentioned. Hopefully it will be around $100. The house was built around 1910 and there are no signs that there was cable before, though I imagine there might have been at some point. I'm on the 3rd Flr, first two floors are businesses. Checking with cable company, which is Comcast.

What's your bandwidth, freeandfun1?

Krisy, Kathianne, Joz...thanks for the good wishes.

Sooooooo happy to have my own place again, after parking at Mom's for a little over a year. Driveway was getting a little full there, her having just gotten married and all. The new place is nice and spacious and central air, electricity and hot water are all included which is a bonus. Leaves me with phone, cable and internet as my only real household bills. Well, that and the HUNDREDS of dollars of food it costs to feed myself...time to get creative in the kitchen. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

RIP Julia Childs.

-James

nycflasher said:
Might consider satellite just for cable. Except, I was just at my local Dunkin Donuts on this rainy day and they were having trouble with theirs due to weather...

I think I'm leaning towards cable internet/tv package like you mentioned. Hopefully it will be around $100. The house was built around 1910 and there are no signs that there was cable before, though I imagine there might have been at some point. I'm on the 3rd Flr, first two floors are businesses. Checking with cable company, which is Comcast.

What's your bandwidth, freeandfun1?

I get 128K but 256 is availble for about $10 a month more.

Satellite is not too good in my opinion. It would be okay here in the desert, but you guys get not only heavy rain, but snow in the winter and rain-fade margins would be a bitch.

I live outside NYC so I don't know if it's the same, but every time it rains or snows the satellite does go out. Some people get both...satellite for the good stuff and basic cable so that you have something...pretty cheap if you get the basic cable and the cable modem together.

Congrats on the apartment!

Forum List

Back