I miss fried okra

Radioman's boiled peanuts thread is making me hungry for some southern cooking.

I'm stuck up here in Wisconsin. Moo. :tongue:

You need to come to my house Amelia. I try some gourmet stuff and even a little "yankee" cooking now and then and we do a lot of Southwestern, but the comfort food staples here are:

Fried chicken or steak fingers or pork chops
Chicken fried steak
Mashed potatoes and gravy made from the pan drippings
Collard greens or turnip greens with a little vinegar
Sweet potatoes every way you can think of to fix them
Potato salad made with a sweet mustard sauce
Pinto beans with just the right amount of savory juice and flavorings
Ditto black eyed peas.
Pot roast with stewed carrots, potatoes, and onions
Fruit salad
and yes, fried okra.

When we moved to southeastern Kansas from West Texas, our next door neighbor, originally from Oklahoma, taught at a school in a teeny town close to our larger town. She came home one day to announce to us all that they had received black-eyed peas in their school commodities. The cooks didn't know what they were, so they made chili out of them. :) The okra they didn't have a clue what to do with that so they chopped it up very fine and added it to a vegetable stew.

I got you covered on all of them too! And you forgot the sweet tea!

Just a good ol southen gal... from san francisco :lol:

:woohoo:

Yup, gallons of sweet tea. :)

Radioman's boiled peanuts thread is making me hungry for some southern cooking.

I'm stuck up here in Wisconsin. Moo. :tongue:

You can have my share. the slimy crap grosses me out. Hush puppies and fried shrimp and mud bugs, however are just fine with this transplanted yank.

She's on the OWN network now. :eusa_whistle:

FREE+FRIED+CHICKEN+WITH+OPRAH.jpg

I can't get past the snot-like texture of okra. Bleeech.

that is only the boiled stuff..if it is fried like it is supposed to be fried it doesn't have that texture.
So I was told - texture is dependent on the way it is cooked. So I tried the fried stuff. It had a texture like snot. So, I stopped trying it.

The taste of it doesn't overcome its texture for me.

I can't get past the snot-like texture of okra. Bleeech.

that is only the boiled stuff..if it is fried like it is supposed to be fried it doesn't have that texture.
So I was told - texture is dependent on the way it is cooked. So I tried the fried stuff. It had a texture like snot. So, I stopped trying it.

you tried it by someone who didn't know how to properly cook it. It has to be fried at a certain temperature and it has to be really hot oil. I love fried okra but hate fried mushrooms..or any kind of mushroom. I do like stuffed fried jalapeños though.

you tried it by someone who didn't know how to properly cook it. It has to be fried at a certain temperature and it has to be really hot oil. I love fried okra but hate fried mushrooms..or any kind of mushroom. I do like stuffed fried jalapeños though.
Meh, different tastes.

I love fried mushrooms, or pretty much mushrooms cooked in any manner.

Never had a fried jap, though. That sounds like it might be good.

Live crawfish?

I used to catch them. And I know I liked crawfish etouffee. Is that what you mean? But live? What do you do with them?

yep... live crawfish! I order them in by FedEx about 80 pounds at a time. A huge pot...a few crab boils...some crawfish boil seasonings...and you are good to go! You can get just the tails if you don't want to go to the bother of cooking and eating him whole.

Pinch de tails and suck de heads! Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez!!!

crawfish1.jpg

crawfish2.jpg

meh, them bugs are too small

now, these guys are worth the effort

cookedlo.jpg

Live crawfish?

I used to catch them. And I know I liked crawfish etouffee. Is that what you mean? But live? What do you do with them?

yep... live crawfish! I order them in by FedEx about 80 pounds at a time. A huge pot...a few crab boils...some crawfish boil seasonings...and you are good to go! You can get just the tails if you don't want to go to the bother of cooking and eating him whole.

Pinch de tails and suck de heads! Laissez les Bon Temps Roulez!!!

crawfish1.jpg

crawfish2.jpg

meh, them bugs are too small

now, these guys are worth the effort

cookedlo.jpg
Absolutely!

My favorite place to get fried okra was at Lambert's Cafe...one of the few things I miss from my years living near the Ozarks. Although, they have a location in Alabama...I should see how far it is from Tampa.

fried-okra-at-lambert.jpg

Don't forget the HOT throwed rolls.:clap2:

2010_12_31_0124.JPG

Quite a ride from Tampa, but about 5 miles from my place. Maybe I could throw you a roll?

Nothing in this thread would interest me to eat, except for the fried mushrooms...I do love mushrooms! But I like mine served with Ranch dressing~
The grits.....ohmigosh......no way will I eat grits, they are yucky! And the crawfish thingies, they do look like large bugs!
I don't like any kind of seafood, if it comes from the water, I'm not eating it ~LoL~

Nothing in this thread would interest me to eat, except for the fried mushrooms...I do love mushrooms! But I like mine served with Ranch dressing~
The grits.....ohmigosh......no way will I eat grits, they are yucky! And the crawfish thingies, they do look like large bugs!
I don't like any kind of seafood, if it comes from the water, I'm not eating it ~LoL~
Yup - ranch with the fried 'shrooms. Ranch made from the envelope packet, not the bottled stuff, is best.

Exactly. Some people think fried okra is just floured or left bare and sauteed in medium oil. It will be soggy, greasy, and unappealing and won't taste really good that way.

It first must be harvested at the tender stage, washed, dried, and cut into small bite size peices. It then is dropped in seasoned milk or cream and then must be thoroughly coated/breaded in about half flour, half yellow corn meal with the proper seasonings added. It is then dropped in hot oil so that each piece cooks separately and fries crisp, just shy of 'burnt', in two or three minutes; drained and it is yummy yummy--it is best when served immediately when it is still hot and very crisp.

Last edited:

Exactly. Some people think fried okra is just floured or left bare and sauteed in medium oil. It will be soggy, greasy, and unappealing and won't taste really good that way.

It first must be harvested at the tender stage, washed, dried, and cut into small bite size peices. It then is dropped in seasoned milk or cream and then must be thoroughly coated/breaded in about half flour, half yellow corn meal with the proper seasonings added. It is then dropped in hot oil so that each piece cooks separately and fries crisp, just shy of 'burnt', in two or three minutes; drained and it is yummy yummy--it is best when served immediately when it is still hot and very crisp.

When you cant find fresh... frozen okra doesn't make a bad substitute.

Forum List

Back