Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Hamas? Fatah? Damn. :cool:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1601571,00.html

Wednesday, Mar. 21, 2007
Cracks Appear in Palestinian Coalition
By AP/DIAA HADID

(GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip) — The appointment of a divisive Gaza strongman to a top security post is threatening the new Palestinian unity government just days after its inauguration.

Mohammed Dahlan, a prominent member of the moderate Fatah Party, is despised by the rival Hamas group for leading a brutal crackdown on it in the 1990s. He also was one of the leading critics of Hamas during recent months of tensions and infighting between the two movements.

Now Dahlan is in charge of bringing order to the chaotic security services, including Hamas' own militia. Analysts say the issue is so sensitive that it could break up the new government and return Gaza to civil strife.

Dahlan, now a Fatah legislator, was appointed this week as security adviser to President Mahmoud Abbas of Fatah and to head up the National Security Council. The powerful body is to decide security policy and reform, making Dahlan more powerful than the interior minister, who only will have executive powers in security matters.

The security council was formed as a part of a carefully cobbled agreement between political rivals Hamas and Fatah after months of tense negotiations to create a coalition government.

Those talks often deteriorated into deadly street battles between the group's militias and different government security apparatuses. The fighting killed more than 140 Palestinians from last May until a cease-fire was called in early February...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070321/wl_nm/palestinians_dc

Hamas, Fatah fighters clash in Gaza, one killed

By Nidal al-Mughrabi2 hours, 23 minutes ago

A militant loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah faction was killed and seven people were wounded on Wednesday in the first deadly clash between Fatah and Hamas since a unity government was formed.

Within hours, two Palestinians linked to Hamas were abducted in Gaza City in a sign violence could spread despite the new coalition's stated aim of ending factional strife and closing ranks against a crippling year-old Western aid embargo.

Fatah said Hamas security forces fired a rocket-propelled grenade at the northern Gaza home of a senior al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades commander, killing one of the group's members. Seven people, including at least four gunmen and a bystander, were wounded, but the al-Aqsa commander was unhurt.

Fatah spokesman Abdel Hakim Awad said Hamas had planned the attack in advance and warned of "grave consequences" if the Islamists mounted any more.

A spokesman for Hamas's armed wing, Abu Ubaida, said Hamas gunmen had only responded to shooting from the al-Aqsa commander's house. He said a Fatah fighter was preparing to fire a rocket-propelled grenade when it exploded in his hands, killing him and wounding the others.

It was the first deadly clash since Abbas's secular Fatah faction and Hamas Islamists formed a unity cabinet on Saturday....
Shit, they held it together for 4 whole days, let's 'give' these people a state. Whoops, they want all of Israel, but whoops, the problems in this case are internicene, nevermind. They are still a peaceful people...

Hey, they are still a unity government...they are just bent on mutual destruction of themselves before they tackle the hard stuff....like actually governing!

it is interesting to watch the republicans claim, on one hand, that we should NEVER negotiate or deal with terrorists, yet both Fatah and Hamas have blood on their hands..... Fatah actually has American blood on its hands.... yet the neocons don't seem to mind that one little bit.

it is interesting to watch the republicans claim, on one hand, that we should NEVER negotiate or deal with terrorists, yet both Fatah and Hamas have blood on their hands..... Fatah actually has American blood on its hands.... yet the neocons don't seem to mind that one little bit.

Shouldn't deal with either. Now there is a problem. F them.

how do we honestly broker peace in Israel/Palestine without dealing with both?

How about it is sometimes impossible to deal with any group, until they work it out? In the meantime, both mean to wipe out Israel. No negotiating, like Iran.

That does not preclude the possibility they can pull it together, but until then. pfffttt

How about it is sometimes impossible to deal with any group, until they work it out? In the meantime, both mean to wipe out Israel. No negotiating, like Iran.

That does not preclude the possibility they can pull it together, but until then. pfffttt

then you willingly add impetus to islamic extremism. thanks a shitload.

then you willingly add impetus to islamic extremism. thanks a shitload.

Give them a reason, but that would be against your agenda, right? The left now seems to think Israel should be gone.

I take it then that you believe if the US "deals" with both, Islamic extremism will lose impetus?

I think it the US is an honest and impartial broker for peace in Palestine, Islamic extremists will have a tougher time selling potential converts on the idea that America is in the back pocket of the zionists

I think it the US is an honest and impartial broker for peace in Palestine, Islamic extremists will have a tougher time selling potential converts on the idea that America is in the back pocket of the zionists

I dont think the US will ever be viewed as an honest and impartial broker for peace in Palestine....ever. One side will always be suspicious of the other and forever be skeptical of any offers. Even the destrction of Israel will not allieve that suspicion. Mabe the Swiss should be the honest broker for peace.

I dont think the US will ever be viewed as an honest and impartial broker for peace in Palestine....ever. One side will always be suspicious of the other and forever be skeptical of any offers. Even the destrction of Israel will not allieve that suspicion. Mabe the Swiss should be the honest broker for peace.

If the US is out, there is no other. Bottom line, most of the 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' world thinks the Jews should be dead and gone. All in favor, raise their hand!

we could be viewed that way if we started acting that way... imho

we could be viewed that way if we started acting that way... imho

I disagree. Let's face it...these people have been fighting each other for eons....Israel, no Israel, Us or not, they will find a reason for killing each other. I am convinced of that.

I disagree. Let's face it...these people have been fighting each other for eons....Israel, no Israel, Us or not, they will find a reason for killing each other. I am convinced of that.

Exactly. While no one will 'raise their hand', most want Jews dead, they've been the odd man out for hundreds, now thousands of years. What will their annhilation accomplish, if ennacted? Zip, the fuktards will continue.

If the US is out, there is no other. Bottom line, most of the 'civilized' and 'uncivilized' world thinks the Jews should be dead and gone. All in favor, raise their hand!

I have to wonder what the rest of the world would do if the US simple withdrew from the role. Would there be even more violence? wold all parties feel unconstrained and unleash chaos? Would everything get better (as some seem to think it would) without US "intervention"?

I have to wonder what the rest of the world would do if the US simple withdrew from the role. Would there be even more violence? wold all parties feel unconstrained and unleash chaos? Would everything get better (as some seem to think it would) without US "intervention"?

Would it be better if Jews were annhilated? That seems to be the concensus. Should we allow that?

Forum List

Back