I Made a Promise and I Stand By It

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I have to be honest with you. I woke up this morning with a heavy heart. I went to sleep last night knowing that the auto bailout bill failed 52-35 in the Senate. I truly believe our representatives made the right decision. I am very much against any taxpayer money being spent on bailing out the Big Three. I believe in this so much that I even wrote a letter to the CEOs of Chrysler, Ford, GM and UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger on Tuesday

I promised to buy a car from each of the three Detroit automakers who chose to restructure rather than take bailout money. I stand by that promise.
I Made a Promise and I Stand By It « FOX Forum « FOXNews.com

A lot of Americans I know make a promise too.. Take the money? take the bailout? I promise never to even look at another car made by the big 3..

so go ahead and do it.:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Sorry, my next door neighbor sells fords. He sold us our two cars and he's a good man. I will continue to try to keep people like him employed.

I think that if we are going to give $700 billion to the banks with no strings attached, then we should at least bail out the big 3 as well.

In truth, the banks never should have been bailed out, but it's hypocritical to bail out the banks with no strings attached and then turn our backs on the big 3 and any other company in this country that needs help.

for the umpteenth time,, I was against the bank bailout too.. hello

Sorry, my next door neighbor sells fords. He sold us our two cars and he's a good man. I will continue to try to keep people like him employed.
I think that if we are going to give $700 billion to the banks with no strings attached, then we should at least bail out the big 3 as well.
In truth, the banks never should have been bailed out, but it's hypocritical to bail out the banks with no strings attached and then turn our backs on the big 3 and any other company in this country that needs help.
The gubamint should just issue printing presses to anyone who wants one so they can print their own money.

Sadness and concern turned to outrage at 10 a.m. this morning while listening to Gettelfinger address the world. In his rambling speech, he
defended the ridiculousness of his contract. He pointed his finger at the senators who voted against bailing out the Big Three. He acted like the victim not the cause of the failing U.S. auto industry. This guy is rolling the dice. His bet…that money gets directed to Detroit through TARP or other appropriations. He is willing to risk the livelihood of the very members he represents on this bet. Mr. Gettelfinger, so far, craps.

The promise:

In my letter this week, I promised to buy a car from each of the three Detroit automakers who chose to restructure rather than take bailout money. I stand by that promise. I commend Ford and Mr. Mulally for removing itself from the process by stating that they don’t need the funds at this time. My offer stands with you Ford, if restructuring is in your future rather than bailout money, I will buy a Ford, I promise.

so Ford took it'self outta the begging business? well now,, that I can respect. yeah Ford..

I try to watch the news on as many networks as possible, even if I don't like the network. I do the same with printed news from around the nation. From what I have read thus far, the polls reflect that the majority of American's are against this move, as it is proposed.

I have also gathered that the majority or darn close to it, want to see something done to help these companies and truly do not want to see them fail completely.

You can refinance a home in pretty short order and do it properly covering all the bases and finding the best options. However I feel from watching these polls that the majority of American's understand that this is a bit more complex! Go figure. Further, after the first bail out, they already feel stung by this hurry, hurry the sky is falling BS.

Oh they are going to get their help, the taxpayer will flip the bill. Further, we run the risk of nationalizing the industry and letting the unions end up with part ownership. Frankly if either one of those things happen or both, then a good case is made for not being loyal. IMO

Yes, help is needed, but, it needs to be carefully crafted and clearly no one is sensing that, as of yet.

Good job. Now let's pass into Amendment that the Federal Government can't have a deficit and must have a balanced budget/surplus. Because after Bush's last eight years, do you want this country to go into more debt bailing out inefficient market players?

Last edited:

I disagreed with giving the money to the banks "no strings attached"; likewise, the automakers.

They need some restructuring, starting with some income evaluations at the executive level. These guys are getting rich for being failures? Something's wrong with that.

I disagreed with giving the money to the banks "no strings attached"; likewise, the automakers.

They need some restructuring, starting with some income evaluations at the executive level. These guys are getting rich for being failures? Something's wrong with that.

Your damn straight it is. I figure it for a blackmail of some kind. Congress has quickly learned that they had BETTER attach some strings to that bailout money real quickly.

watch the little stock market ticker tape while Corker is talking.. :eusa_whistle:

Your damn straight it is. I figure it for a blackmail of some kind. Congress has quickly learned that they had BETTER attach some strings to that bailout money real quickly.

I don't know about blackmail. Our economy really can't stand the impact of our auto industry failing. The unemployed of the industry, to include the trickledown all the way to the dealers would seriously screw us up.

At the same time, just forking over some money and saying "here you go," is bullshit. If our government is using MY tax dollars to purchase a piece of the industry, then I expect our Democratic government to do to the auto industry what it wants to do to steroids in MLB and provide some damned oversight.

No way those execs should be millionaires and get enormous bonuses for screwing up. The industry itself is broken. Throwing money at it so it can maintain the status quo is NOT a solution.

There needs to be some serious analysis of what's wrong, and restructuring in accordance with that and that includes that overpriced fat pig the union, and too damned bad if it hurts. And IMO, it should hurt starting at the top.

I don't know about blackmail. Our economy really can't stand the impact of our auto industry failing. The unemployed of the industry, to include the trickledown all the way to the dealers would seriously screw us up.

At the same time, just forking over some money and saying "here you go," is bullshit. If our government is using MY tax dollars to purchase a piece of the industry, then I expect our Democratic government to do to the auto industry what it wants to do to steroids in MLB and provide some damned oversight.

No way those execs should be millionaires and get enormous bonuses for screwing up. The industry itself is broken. Throwing money at it so it can maintain the status quo is NOT a solution.

There needs to be some serious analysis of what's wrong, and restructuring in accordance with that and that includes that overpriced fat pig the union, and too damned bad if it hurts. And IMO, it should hurt starting at the top.

It's basically a privatization vs nationalization argument. Screwing around with some middle of the road compromise may sound nice but you KNOW the numbers ever add up right.

We will bail them out in the end. However, before doing so, they need to go through bankruptcy so that they can restructure their debts and renegotiate their union contracts. Once this is done, then the government can make the money available in the form of guaranteed loans.

Ford would be the exception to this as they may well make it through even without any bailout money.

What two Ford cars do you own?

It's basically a privatization vs nationalization argument. Screwing around with some middle of the road compromise may sound nice but you KNOW the numbers ever add up right.

You know what? I think it's about time damned time all the pundits on the left and right STFU and let some middle of the road MFers take care of business. We've been suffering at the hands of one side or the other and their lameass, political tug-o-war for decades.

Look where it's gotten us.

There IS such a thing as a happy medium. I don't think the UAWs have a RIGHT to be paid enough to retire in comfort for mediocre work anymore than I believe the executives should be paid enough to be wealthy just because they attend meetings and fill a position.

The union needs to get some reality in it's ass and its executives need to be looked at too. Their rates are based more on their overhead than they are any benefit to the workers.

You're older than I am so you know the deal. We've been through this shit before in the late-60s and 70s. Some people are going to have to tighten up their belts and quit trying to push that off on the other guy, and some people are going to have to tell our government when enough is enough.

These bailouts are bullshit for the reasons I stated before.

A lot of Americans I know make a promise too.. Take the money? take the bailout? I promise never to even look at another car made by the big 3..

so go ahead and do it.:lol::lol:

That is a very noble and wise promise. I share in your promise.

Forum List

Back