I love to read

Moi

Sep 2, 2003
The ONLY GOOD place
Although I usually read true to life crime and spy stories, my tastes are so varied as to encompass authors such as Patricia Cornwell, Robert Ludlum, Michael Crichton, Scott Trurow, Wendy Holden, Candace Bushnell and Jane Greene as well as books like “Memoir of a Geisha”, “I Don’t Know How She Does It” and “Silence of the Lambs”. In other words, I love to read.

A few of my favorites.

If you’ve never heard of the “Mitford” series by Jan Karon, you should really look it up. It’s a series of 6 novels about a pastor of bucolic Mitford, a city in South Carolina (I think). It’s just a nice heartwarming tale of simple, pleasant existence. After a day of watching the news and all the horror glorified therein, it’s nice to read about people who are good neighbors, worship something other than their own existence and help each other.

No, this book isn’t going to bring you wealth or teach you how to conquer the world, but
it should give you a smile and relax you into a restful night’s sleep.

Of course, my all time favorite book series is James Herriott’s “All Creatures Great and Small” etc. I began reading these books in the seventies when I was in 6th grade. The basis of the series is Jim’s adventures being a country veterinarian in Yorkshire, Englan beginning in the early 20th century before cars, farm equipment and modern medicines were really common-place. He is honest, kind and very dedicated to his craft. But even more so, he’s a good story-teller and seems to genuinely like people, for it’s the colorful people in his stories which really star.

I read the entire series once a year until I had my son 3 years ago; they could never get old. They are like macaroni & cheese- comforting.

true to life crime and spy stories

If you like these type of books, mixed with fiction, you should look into the "Prey" series by John Sandford. I usually read the Stephen King/Dean Koontz/John Saul type books, but I stumbled upon one of the series at a garage sale and ended up spending $40 for the rest of the series.

Sandford is definitely one of my favorite authors now.

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
If you like these type of books, mixed with fiction, you should look into the "Prey" series by John Sandford. I usually read the Stephen King/Dean Koontz/John Saul type books, but I stumbled upon one of the series at a garage sale and ended up spending $40 for the rest of the series.

Sandford is definitely one of my favorite authors now.
That sounds familiar. I'll have to check it out...thanks for the suggestion.

Dean Koontz, one of my favorites!!! gave my Grandmother one to read, she couldn't finish it, she gave it back and said it was a little too spooky for her! hehe! He has some good ones.

Stephen King has the shorty story one, with, the boogymen and I read that and scared the crap out of me!

I couldnt begin to pick a favorite Dean Koontz one. John Saul writes very similar to Koontz.

I have many, many favorites of Stephen King... "Dreamcatcher" is high on my list (the book... I didnt care much for the movie after reading the book)

Forum List

Back