I love my dogs

My ex was a pretty macho guy...worked as a laborer all his life, dark, fit, he would have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon. Lived in jeans and shorts and tee shirts.

He fell in LOVE with my mom's toy poodle...about 7 lbs of cream colored fluff, always dolled up and trimmed....

We took care of the pup one summer for a few weeks, and that dog was never more than 2 inches from my ex. He slept on his stomach, when we drove around in our macho classic chevy pick up, the dog was always on the driver's side, on my ex, with his head out the window..and my ex was the one who walked him.

It's kind of funny because my mom was worried we would be careless with the goofy little thing...and seriously, it was treated with a lot more care and concern than anyone else in the house.

My ex was a pretty macho guy...worked as a laborer all his life, dark, fit, he would have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon. Lived in jeans and shorts and tee shirts.

He fell in LOVE with my mom's toy poodle...about 7 lbs of cream colored fluff, always dolled up and trimmed....

We took care of the pup one summer for a few weeks, and that dog was never more than 2 inches from my ex. He slept on his stomach, when we drove around in our macho classic chevy pick up, the dog was always on the driver's side, on my ex, with his head out the window..and my ex was the one who walked him.

It's kind of funny because my mom was worried we would be careless with the goofy little thing...and seriously, it was treated with a lot more care and concern than anyone else in the house.

He's obviously secure in his manhood. Good for him.

I was not thrilled with the idea of a Pom but manliness was trumped by love for my daughter. Turns out they're great dogs.

Poms are infinitely more manly that poos....

But we love our poodles anyway.

My Saint is the biggest baby of the lot...but he's the one that scares the crap out of guys...which is funny. Women and kids just love him, and when he comes running towards them just brace themselves and hug and kiss him...

Most guys blanche and get ready to run!

And my terrier is the one that men aren't intimidated by..and she bites them for looking at her.

I love pomeranians...one day i'll have one. My son has 2 of them, one is a little lover, the other doesn't want anything to do with you!

I have 2 dogs...one is a wire-haired dachsund/terrior mix, 17 yrs old now! He's not getting around real well these days and my husband is going to be a basketcase when he goes :(

My other is a mix between a jack russel terrier and a Pappilon (known as the "butterfly" dog). She's only about 2 yrs old. What a sweetie...everyone loves her!

We always get our dogs from a rescue or dog shelter.

Recently police arrested a couple from a town next to us that had over 300 Pomeranians and shitzu's....it was one of those illegal breeding farms. The humane society had A LOT of people volunteering to help clean the dogs up and find homes. Those poor things were so matted and grimy you couldn't even tell what kind of dog they were!!! The people are still going through the court so i don't know what they're going to get, but everyone wants them executed! :) People from all over the US snagged the dogs right up, i didn't even have a chance!

My terrier came from the humane society..I was volunteering with them at the time and knew she was coming in. She came in with a pup, and initially I wanted the pup, but when I saw her I knew it was meant to be.

I knew the people who raised my Saint. They raise a couple of litters a year out of their dogs, he was the last one of their spring litter. I didn't know anything about saint bernards when I got him, I have no idea why he was overlooked by people, he wasn't the runt, he was the 2nd smallest. But he isn't huge....he's a little less than a year and a half old now, and right around 110 lbs. He's plenty big, he's well within the range of acceptable height, and his conformation is great..but you hear about 180 lb monsters all the time, and he's nothing near that. His mom is pretty portly, and still only 130 lbs, his dad was very tall and rangy...and 150 lbs.

I think sometimes people lie about how much their dogs weigh.

Anyway, I love him to bits and I'm so happy with him. I think maybe people who know saints could look at him and tell he wasn't going to be massive or real "typy"..exaggerated. He's just a big, goofy, athletic sort of dog. His hair isn't even very long...he's got the double coat and sheds buckets all the time, but it's not very long or even super thick.

He can sit on the couch just like we do, though, lol. He just plops his butt on it and leaves his front legs on the floor.

My sister and her SO have a lhasapoo named Louie. We love each other. I get to see him again for my birthday. He's an old boy, 13 now. I hope he still has 2-5 years left. They're going to be heartbroken when he goes.

I have friends that have a Pom. He's a true little boy, loves to get dirty. My poodle is a lovely lady who takes special care not to ruin her nails when they get polished.

Growing up, I always had cocker spaniels. Black ones. But the breed has been completely wrecked. They tend to be vicious nowadays, and epileptic. If you go to a pound, cocker spaniels are way over-represented.

My last dog was a black lab. He was the Einstein of dogs. Just brilliant through and through. Almost human intelligence.

He had a bad habit, though. If you left even the smallest gap between yourself and the open front door, he would squeeze through and be a small dot on the horizon in two seconds.

He somehow got out of the house once while I was working in the yard. He came up to me, said, "I'll just be going now" and took off. I ran after him and cornered him in a neighbor's yard. "I got you now!" I screamed victoriously and hunkered down to grab him. He ran at me full force, hitting me square in the chest and went right through me like I wasn't even there.

That's the second hardest I have ever been hit in my life. I lay there for several minutes until I had checked each and every rib for cracks or breaks.

Here's a pro tip: If you have a dog that won't come when you call him, make eye contact and run away from your dog. You will never catch your dog if you chase it. You will waste hours if you try. But if you run away, your dog will think it is a game and will chase you, all the way back to the house.

Or get the car and drive past the dog. Dogs love to ride in the car. He will jump right in.

My current dog is a half German shepard, half black lab. Dumb as they come. He was orginally trained as a police dog, but flunked out of the academy. He was then sent to a prison to be trained as a guide dog by the inmates.

So my dog was a cop AND a convict.

I got him for someone near and dear to me, but she ended up not using him as a guide dog, so he is just my ordinary pet now.

He might be stupid, but he is the best behaved animal I have ever had. He is never more than a foot away from me, which is a pain the ass sometimes. But I walk him several miles every night without a leash.

He also has the biggest shredding teeth I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back