I love Christmas music, but I hate Christmastime.

Do what I do, ignore the 'junk'. It's a religious occasion, not a competition to spend the most money or get the best presents.

Damn straight.
I see people, lots of people, really stressing out about how they are going to pay for all of the Christmas presents they have to buy. It RUINS Christmas for them. Instead of a good time, it is a stressfull time.
As well as the statement (and those like it) "I am struggling to save money so the kids can have a good Christmas" ...damn.
The best part of Christmas...is the times off from work and spending time with the family. PERIOD.

Do what I do, ignore the 'junk'. It's a religious occasion, not a competition to spend the most money or get the best presents.

I do ignore it, but it still bugs me. I was a broke single dad for a lot of the years I was in the military and the pressure to give my kids a "good" Christmas was crazy. I would take my kids the Toys-R-Us on Dec 27th to pick out toys from the opened/returned piles, 50% off. My family thought this was the worse thing in the world, to deprive my kids of Christmas morning.

You probably taught your kids the value of money by doing that. Ask them, I bet they don't remember it as you being a cheapskate, I bet they remember having fun at the toy store with dad. Which is worth far more than presents.

Damn straight.
I see people, lots of people, really stressing out about how they are going to pay for all of the Christmas presents they have to buy. It RUINS Christmas for them. Instead of a good time, it is a stressfull time.
As well as the statement (and those like it) "I am struggling to save money so the kids can have a good Christmas" ...damn.
The best part of Christmas...is the times off from work and spending time with the family. PERIOD.
Along with the food and decorations.

I love Christmas, always have........But my favorite day of the year is New Years day......I love all day bowl games, and getting together with family and friends for good food, good drink, and football.

Damn straight.

Kids rarely remember what they got for Christmas... what sticks with them is the fun, family and excitement of it.

When we were kids, we had a stocking (with little dumb stuff in it - and we still get them - no matter where in the world we are, Mom still sends us a 'stocking' lol)... and one present from Santa. I never felt deprived.

I do ignore it, but it still bugs me. I was a broke single dad for a lot of the years I was in the military and the pressure to give my kids a "good" Christmas was crazy. I would take my kids the Toys-R-Us on Dec 27th to pick out toys from the opened/returned piles, 50% off. My family thought this was the worse thing in the world, to deprive my kids of Christmas morning.

You probably taught your kids the value of money by doing that. Ask them, I bet they don't remember it as you being a cheapskate, I bet they remember having fun at the toy store with dad. Which is worth far more than presents.

I know. The funny thing is, my son told my grandson that he would get his Christmas gift later and I about had a fit. My way was fine for my kids, but depriving my grandkids? No way!

Damn straight.

Kids rarely remember what they got for Christmas... what sticks with them is the fun, family and excitement of it.

When we were kids, we had a stocking (with little dumb stuff in it - and we still get them - no matter where in the world we are, Mom still sends us a 'stocking' lol)... and one present from Santa. I never felt deprived.
Sounds like my mother......She always made Christmas special. After my dad died when I was 4 years old, things tightened up financially, but she always managed to make it great.

She's now in her early eighties and still makes Christmas special. We come down on Christmas morning, and she has the stockings filled, breakfast on the table, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin christmas tunes playing......It's really cool.

I know. The funny thing is, my son told my grandson that he would get his Christmas gift later and I about had a fit. My way was fine for my kids, but depriving my grandkids? No way!

Pity that you teach those kids your racist views. Kind of against the whole spirit of Christmas.

Forum List

Back