"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

This quote has bothered me for a while. We have here Gandhi, who started a movement to free idea based on loving his fellow man saying he doesn't like a specific group of people, namely Christians.

Yet, if this quote is true, he spend a lot of time associating with Christians. He spent alot of time loving this group that he supposedly didn't like. It seems odd to me.

Another odd thing, no matter how much I search, there seems to be no source for the quote. Which, of course, leads me to believe that it's likely not an accurate quote.

However, despite my indepth study of Gandhi, I am not an expert. So I contacted an expert earlier. And oddly enough they have never found a source for that quote either.

Now is it moral to continue to attribute a quote to a man when no source can be provided and that man's teachings and actions seem to contradict the point of the quote.

As for the substance of the quote, no Christian does live the Gospel. If he did, we wouldn't need the Atonement of Christ.

I do not know if the quote is accurate.

But the sentiment of it rings true to me.

Very few Christians impress me as living lives even remotely Christ-like.

Certainly I don't.

Do you try to live a Christ-like life?

I try.

I'm especially hopeful that, while I seriously doubt I can live anywhere near up to his level of moral behavior, I might one day learn how to turn water into wine.

And FWIW, I wouldn't object to driving the money changers out of the Temple, either.

This quote has bothered me for a while. We have here Gandhi, who started a movement to free idea based on loving his fellow man saying he doesn't like a specific group of people, namely Christians.

Yet, if this quote is true, he spend a lot of time associating with Christians. He spent alot of time loving this group that he supposedly didn't like. It seems odd to me.

Another odd thing, no matter how much I search, there seems to be no source for the quote. Which, of course, leads me to believe that it's likely not an accurate quote.

However, despite my indepth study of Gandhi, I am not an expert. So I contacted an expert earlier. And oddly enough they have never found a source for that quote either.

Now is it moral to continue to attribute a quote to a man when no source can be provided and that man's teachings and actions seem to contradict the point of the quote.

As for the substance of the quote, no Christian does live the Gospel. If he did, we wouldn't need the Atonement of Christ.

Two subjects that is hard to discuss without seeing the worst come out in people no matter who they're. Politics and God.

Two subjects that is hard to discuss without seeing the worst come out in people no matter who they're. Politics and God.

True words. But that's why we need to specifically discuss those topics the most. How else can we truly develop charity for our fellow man and let go of our pride.

Gandhi's point is that very few Christians are "Christ-like".

And my point is that Gandhi never said it. And I think it's rather deceptive to attribute a quote to a man claiming he didn't like Christians when his teaching and actions dictated otherwise.

Who cares whether Gandhi said it? The point is, few Christians are "Christ-like".

Last edited:

And my point is that Gandhi never said it. And I think it's rather deceptive to attribute a quote to a man claiming he didn't like Christians when his teaching and actions dictated otherwise.

Who cares whether Gandhi said it? The point is, few Christians are "Christ-like".

Few "anything"... (insert what ever cult you want) are what they say they follow.

christians not christ like
muslims are not mohammed like(or what ever it is they are)
Buddhists are not buddha like

Ghandi was once asked, What do you think of Christianity in the western world?

He answered "I think it would be a good idea".

Out of the billions of Christians in the world, exactly how many have you met?

The real question here is why don't you care enough about the truth to be factual.

I do. Anyone who cares about honesty would. Anyone who cares about Gandhi would as well. Why do you want to malign a man who loved all others by claiming he didn't like a whole group of people?

I do. Anyone who cares about honesty would. Anyone who cares about Gandhi would as well. Why do you want to malign a man who loved all others by claiming he didn't like a whole group of people?

You are missing the entire point. Few Christians are "Christ-like".

The real question here is why don't you care enough about the truth to be factual.

Exactly how do you think I lied to you? Avatar started the thread. He's the one who said Gandhi said this about Christians, I didn't.

Gandhi was "never interested in the historical Jesus", p 22; nor in the virgin birth, miracles, etc. p 24. He did not take as literally true that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God, p 66; says the historic Jesus who only died once 2,000 years ago is no help, p 42; did not believe that Jesus was raised from the dead, p 94. Gandhi said that Jesus was near perfect but not as perfect as God, p 26; that he had psychic powers and that his miracles were magic, p 27. Gandhi sees Jesus as an example, a rule of life, p 27. He says "Jesus represents not a person, but the principle of nonviolence", p 46. The central issue in Gandhi’s criticism of Christianity is Christology as dogma; the resolution of Gandhi’s criticism is through orthopraxis, or right action, p 98.

Christology can be seen from two points of view, descriptive and prescriptive. For Gandhi the descriptive aspect which takes the form of worship and dogma is subservient to the prescriptive aspect which consists of imitation of Christ, p 92.
A Critique of Gandhi on Christianity / A Christian Apologetics Ministry

Exactly how do you think I lied to you? Avatar started the thread. He's the one who said Gandhi said this about Christians, I didn't.

You just lied right there.

Avatar started this thread questioning the source of the quote.

You responded by saying this.

You took a man of peace, threw in a quote you like, and chose to ignore the factual evidence that he did not say it in order to bash a group of people you have a personal grudge against. Tell me how you told the truth.

You just lied right there.

Avatar started this thread questioning the source of the quote.

You responded by saying this.

You took a man of peace, threw in a quote you like, and chose to ignore the factual evidence that he did not say it in order to bash a group of people you have a personal grudge against. Tell me how you told the truth.

I didn't read the OP, I responded to the title.

I didn't lie asshole. I did not make the statement about Gandhi, I merely commented on the truth of the statement, whoever said it.

Few Christians are Christ-like.

lol

funnyrepublicanjesus.jpg

any reason to post this ...

Avatar - good for you for trying to source the quote; always a good practice.

I don't know enough about Ghandi, nor Christ for that matter, to comment...so I won't. I do however know many Christians and will say that there are very few who have made a true Christian impression. That being said, I do believe committed believers such as yourself set a very high standard almost impossible to achieve.

Best,
Kiki

Forum List

Back