I know I'm signing a death sentence for the man but..

I agree. I've always thought Huntsman was the brightest bulb in the GOP box. However, I doubt he'll gain much traction.

Let's hope not.

I want them to run the dimmest bulb they've got.

We've got the only GOP candidate here who actually realizes that evolution isn't just some hypothesis.

That's got to be a fucking first or something.

Unfortunately, enlightenment was replaced in 1935 by FDR to the era of bewilderment. Reason was replaced by political expediency and demagoguery.

Huntsman actually seems...dare I say it...

A reasonable person? Is it dangerous to vie for someone when you know absolutely it's only their 10 minutes in the lime-light before they get probably get obliterated?

Or will he actually be left standing after it?

Every candidate who has come to spontaneous popularity has been obliterated irrevocably. Huntsman seems the most sane of the GOP right now.

I think it depends on your definition of "sane". (The man does think he's wearing magic underpants, after all.)

There are some things that Huntsman says I agree with, but really, I think the guy has been running in the wrong party all along.

I agree. I've always thought Huntsman was the brightest bulb in the GOP box. However, I doubt he'll gain much traction.

Let's hope not.

We've got the only GOP candidate here who actually realizes that evolution isn't just some hypothesis.

Not really. It just tells me he's not really a Christian.

About half of America doesn't believe in Evolution. And that's because Christianity and Darwinism are philosophically incompatible.

Let's hope not.

About half of America doesn't believe in Evolution. And that's because Christianity and Darwinism are philosophically incompatible.

they didn't like gravity either....

or the earth revolving around the sun...

but christianity doesn't require that people be stupid. it's the fundies who reject science. but that's true of fundamentalists in every religion.. that's why they are entitled to their beliefs, but shouldn't run government.

they didn't like gravity either....

or the earth revolving around the sun...

but christianity doesn't require that people be stupid. it's the fundies who reject science. but that's true of fundamentalists in every religion.. that's why they are entitled to their beliefs, but shouldn't run government.

Can you please name the theological objection to Gravity? Thanks.

And even the theological objection to the Copernican model was questionable. In fact, Copernicus was a priest, and when he published his findings, everyone kind of yawned and accepted his calculations. It wasn't until Galileo started mocking the Pope (who was his friend) that there was an issue.

Not to give the Church as pass, a lot of their behavior was inexcusable.

Darwinism has a serious problem with Christianity. No Adam and Eve, no Original sin. No Original Sin, no reason for God to redeem mankind by becoming Jesus. No man made in God's image, because this is just the form that evolution picked through "natural selection".

Now, I think that's all bunk, but it does create a theological problem that isn't easy to get around.

How so? One is about the physical world and the other, the spiritual. They are anything but mutually exclusive, as they deal with two non-intersecting aspects of life. The Christians you seem to be talking about are those who lean more towards superstition than spirituality, IMO.

How so? One is about the physical world and the other, the spiritual. They are anything but mutually exclusive, as they deal with two non-intersecting aspects of life. The Christians you seem to be talking about are those who lean more towards superstition than spirituality, IMO.

I think I covered this in the post that preceded yours...

The "superstition" and "spirituality" are inseparable in Christianity.

And I say you're using too wide a brush. No different than fundies that say all muslims are bad. Any Catholic theologian would dispute your contention. I don't have nearly as knowledge of other views, but finding one that makes your point hardly means it applies to all Christians.

And I say you're using too wide a brush. No different than fundies that say all muslims are bad. Any Catholic theologian would dispute your contention. I don't have nearly as knowledge of other views, but finding one that makes your point hardly means it applies to all Christians.

Having grown up Catholic, probably that kind of theological pretzel thinking is why I'm not a Catholic now.

The Catholic Church does accept evolution, but then you push them on the issue about whether Genesis is a myth or not, they get all wiggly on you. Again, I noticed that as a fifth grader, that if there were these "ape-men", how does that explain Adam and Eve? Always fun to see a nun sweat until she hits you with the wooden ruler.

Now, here's the thing. I think the bible is a book of myths, and I don't even think Jesus was anything but a literary invention. THe philosophy of Jesus I have no problem with. We should all try to do that.

But if you accept the bible as truth, evolution creates a REAL problem.

Either God has a design and a plan.

or

All of nature is just a series of cause and effect, natural selection and adaptive radiation.

It is a quandry.

Having grown up Catholic, probably that kind of theological pretzel thinking is why I'm not a Catholic now.

The Catholic Church does accept evolution, but then you push them on the issue about whether Genesis is a myth or not, they get all wiggly on you. Again, I noticed that as a fifth grader, that if there were these "ape-men", how does that explain Adam and Eve? Always fun to see a nun sweat until she hits you with the wooden ruler.

Now, here's the thing. I think the bible is a book of myths, and I don't even think Jesus was anything but a literary invention. THe philosophy of Jesus I have no problem with. We should all try to do that.

or

All of nature is just a series of cause and effect, natural selection and adaptive radiation.

It is a quandry.

What you call "wiggly" is just the fact that RCC lets its members chose what they want to believe. It's not considered a case of "faith and morals", so there is no pronouncement either way on the subject. I guess it's because the RCC considers much of the Bible to be allegory, rather than literal truth, any particular nun's opinion notwithstanding.

Last edited:
I don't think Christianity and Evolution are incompatible. Christianity is a way of life. A personal set of standards to base your life on. Of course, many sway towards "beliefs" and some don't worry so much about those standards.
This is especially true when you consider the number of branches of Christianity. There are even those that don't believe in the Old Testament.

Parts of the bible weren't meant to be taken literal. The problem is too many people divorce it from the context it was written in. It's full of mythology and politics, amongst all the laws and lessons.

You did not sign his death warrant.

Huntsman has little to no media exposure. That is why he will lose.

On the other hand, you could come up with some ideas to help Huntsman gain the media attention if you really like his message. Supporters are suppose to do that if their candidate is lagging in the polls.

A reasonable person? Is it dangerous to vie for someone when you know absolutely it's only their 10 minutes in the lime-light before they get probably get obliterated?

Every candidate who has come to spontaneous popularity has been obliterated irrevocably. Huntsman seems the most sane of the GOP right now.

He does have high appeal to liberals. After all, he did work for Obama.

SNIP:

Romney has criticized Huntsman for serving the Obama administration while Romney helped get Republicans elected back home. And he's going after Huntsman for praising Obama's past leadership.
SNIP:

Romney says the best person to run against Obama isn't someone who worked for him.

Read more here: Huntsman defends working for Obama - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee

Let's hope not.

And that's because Christianity and Darwinism are philosophically incompatible.

Meh, not entirely. Microevolution is easily provable. Mutation and genetic 'diseases' prove that point. Transitional evolution is not. That said, evolution COULD be possible with a divine creator/controller/designer.

Evolution is a mechanism of nature, yes. But what created nature? Not evolution. And although animals were created by God, for all we know evolution was the tool He may have used. That said, Humans seem to be out of that framework.

The real point is, who knows and if your faith hinges on the mechanics of the world's creation, it's fairly weak indeed IMNSHO.

Personally Huntsman has always smelled like a RINO to me, plus his serving in the Admin as ambassador to a sore spot known as China makes me VERY dubious of his ability to deal with them effectively.

The mistake that these primary candidates have repeatedly been making in recent years, is they hit the trail too early. They leave themselves out and vulnerable for way too long before they ever collect a single delegate. That's why we've had the rise and fizzles we've had so far. Huntsman is sitting in good position. He's collecting steam just when he needs it, as the primaries are actually upon us. Herman Cain's rise may have made him feel good, but he didn't get a single delegate out of it. Perry got very little out of his. Newt has gotten very little. Huntsman is rising now, which will translate into delegates. And once he has that behind him, that's where the real momentum comes from. There's plenty of people out there in the GOP base looking for an anti-Romney candidate, and if Huntsman continues to collect steam, i.e. delegates, those voters are going to be selling themselves on him come super Tuesday.

or

It is a quandry.

Well, abiogenesis is usually what they blither on about without realizing it.

The mistake that these primary candidates have repeatedly been making in recent years, is they hit the trail too early. They leave themselves out and vulnerable for way too long before they ever collect a single delegate. That's why we've had the rise and fizzles we've had so far. Huntsman is sitting in good position. He's collecting steam just when he needs it, as the primaries are actually upon us. Herman Cain's rise may have made him feel good, but he didn't get a single delegate out of it. Perry got very little out of his. Newt has gotten very little. Huntsman is rising now, which will translate into delegates. And once he has that behind him, that's where the real momentum comes from. There's plenty of people out there in the GOP base looking for an anti-Romney candidate, and if Huntsman continues to collect steam, i.e. delegates, those voters are going to be selling themselves on him come super Tuesday.

He seems like a sane, rational person. I can't imagine he doesn't know how to run the campaign properly, he is a career politician.

Forum List

Back