“I know how to win wars. I know how to win wars”

Terrorism isn't the problem, it is the symptom. So how do we solve the problem? What is the problem? Why do they hate the US? I don't think its our freedom or our sinful ways. Is it that we take advantage of them? We do business with their leaders and their leaders keep them poor. And no doubt their leaders blame us. I'm referring to the Saudi's. The Iranian people and Arab Emerits are westernizing. Iraq, pakistan, palistinians. The more I think, the more I realize each country has their own reasons. Some have different reasons. Iran hates Israel, saudi kings make us the bad guys, iraq because we killed and displaced millions of them, or abandoned them in the first gulf war, we take their oil, etc.

its complicated. we are the superpower and probably think we are bullies, thieves and infedels.

best thing to do is develop alternative energy and they can drink their oil. We need to get off oil. And we ned to arm israel so they know not to fuck with them. then e can butt out.

Well I agree with the last part, except arming Israel. Don't worry about them, they are plenty armed. Somebody really fucks with them and they (and their country) won't live to see the sun rise. Israel is a mini-super power. Most estimates say they are the number 3 nuclear power in the world behind the US and Russia. (Weaponized nukes ready to go).

Doesn't make a lot of sense to attack a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 and AQ.

Why? You think the Afghans planned 9/11? You think the Paks did? Nope. Granted they hid the people that did. The Islamic fascists found their way to Iraq so we could kill them without too much trouble. In fact AQ announced that Iraq was their central front against the west.

Hummm....wonder how that's working out for them.

I wish we did go to Iraq for oil. That's probably one of the best reasons for this country to go to war as it exists now. At least top 5.

Yep, we need to tighten up A-stan. But, we are running into the same problem there that we did in Viet-nam with the opposing force coming out of another country and our inability to go in and get them. Short of orbiting Spectre over the entire border, there is little we can acheive by piling more troops in there. In the case you mention, we are seeing this kind of thing because we are sending troops where their haven't been before. The AQ success will be short lived in that location.

Had we not squandered our international support by invading Iraq for false pretenses after 9-11, we would have no problem flying into Pakistan and bombing the hell out of the Taliban/AlQueda that are training themselves in the mountains. Musharaff would have nothing to say about it.

Remember Bush's tough talk after 9-11? Remember your tough talk after 9-11? Heck, remember my tough talk after 9-11? We wouldn't give a rats ass about borders. The people who flew planes into our buildings on 9-11 are training in the Pakistan mountains. And you guys have the balls to say Clinton could have taken out Osama pre 9-11? Yet you are making excuses for Bush now on why he can't get the guy? Hypocrits. All talk, no action. Excuses, excuses. We used 9-11 to invade Iraq and now we can't get the people who did 9-11 because they are in a soverign nation?

Pahhhhleeez!!!

Why? You think the Afghans planned 9/11? You think the Paks did? Nope. Granted they hid the people that did. The Islamic fascists found their way to Iraq so we could kill them without too much trouble. In fact AQ announced that Iraq was their central front against the west.

Hummm....wonder how that's working out for them.

FOXNews.com - America Could Have Killed Usama bin Laden — But Didn't - FOX Fan

This came from FOX NEWS!

Because there is no shortage of things to yell about regarding the War on Terror, Iraq, Afghanistan, Homeland Security, and so on, deciding what to write about is always fun.

This week, I was going to yell about how the Bush administration leaked classified information — again — but we've been there before. Then, I thought I might write about Blackwater, but compared to so many things, Blackwater looks like back water.

I bet the few of you that read this stuff thought I would write about my short stint in the sights of those who complained or used my column last week for their own purposes. Nah, it ain't going to happen. Those who were yelling or using me on their TV shows — without bringing me on to comment — are hardly worth the print space. I am not that big a deal. Besides, these things are of little consequence when you realize how we missed, squandered, screwed up, made a mess of and were massively risk adverse — again — when we did not kill Usama bin Laden in Afghanistan just two short months ago.

RelatedColumn Archive
Soldiers Return From War to Deplorable Conditions in BarracksInside the Numbers: 49 Servicemen Killed in AprilTwo More Years of Fighting in IraqThe Dreaded Milestone in Iraq Has Been ReachedWhat Happens After the Surge?Full-page Colonels' Corner: Hunt Archive

Video
'Factor' in Iraq We know, with a 70 percent level of certainty — which is huge in the world of intelligence — that in August of 2007, bin Laden was in a convoy headed south from Tora Bora. We had his butt, on camera, on satellite. We were listening to his conversations. We had the world’s best hunters/killers — Seal Team 6 — nearby. We had the world class Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) coordinating with the CIA and other agencies. We had unmanned drones overhead with missiles on their wings; we had the best Air Force on the planet, begging to drop one on the terrorist. We had him in our sights; we had done it. Nice job again guys — now, pull the damn trigger.

Unbelievably, and in my opinion, criminally, we did not kill Usama bin Laden.

You cannot make this crap up; truth is always stranger and more telling than fiction. Our government, the current administration and yes, our military leaders included, failed to kill bin Laden for no other reason than incompetence.

The current “boneheads” in charge will tell you all day long that we are fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan to stop terrorists there so they do not come here. Nice talk, how about — just for a moment — acting like you mean what you say? You know walk the walk. These incidents, where we displayed a total lack of guts, like the one in August, are just too prevalent. The United States of America’s political and military leadership has, on at least three separate occasions, chosen not capture or kill bin Laden or Ayman al-Zawahri. We have allowed Pakistan to become a safe haven for Al Qaeda. We have allowed Al Qaeda to reconstitute, partially because of money they (Al Qaeda in Iraq) have been sending to Al Qaeda in Pakistan.

We are in a war with terrorists. We are in a war with countries that support terrorists. We are in a war with people that fly planes into buildings and who never, ever hesitate to pull the trigger when given the chance to kill us. We cannot win and, I will tell you this now, we are losing this war every damn time we fail to take every single opportunity to kill murderers like Usama bin Laden. Less than two months ago, we lost again.

Our men and women are being blown up and killed every day in Iraq and Afghanistan. Every family who is separated from a loved one during this war is being insulted by our government when they fail to kill those who have already killed us and will not hesitate to do so again and again. Damn it guys, PULL THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Had we not squandered our international support by invading Iraq for false pretenses after 9-11, we would have no problem flying into Pakistan and bombing the hell out of the Taliban/AlQueda that are training themselves in the mountains. Musharaff would have nothing to say about it.

Remember Bush's tough talk after 9-11? Remember your tough talk after 9-11? Heck, remember my tough talk after 9-11? We wouldn't give a rats ass about borders. The people who flew planes into our buildings on 9-11 are training in the Pakistan mountains. And you guys have the balls to say Clinton could have taken out Osama pre 9-11? Yet you are making excuses for Bush now on why he can't get the guy? Hypocrits. All talk, no action. Excuses, excuses. We used 9-11 to invade Iraq and now we can't get the people who did 9-11 because they are in a soverign nation?

Pahhhhleeez!!!

If I made an excuse for W it must have been an oversight on my part.

Originally Posted by sealybobo
we would have no problem flying into Pakistan and bombing the hell out of the Taliban/AlQueda that are training themselves in the mountains. Musharaff would have nothing to say about it.

A rather bold thing to say about a Nation with Nuclear weapons if you ask me.

This probably off-topic here, but since you asked....

Going back to the response after September 11, which must be the genesis for this discussion. After Afghanistan was attacked and the Taliban toppled, Bush gave a speech. I think it was January 2002. It may or may not have been the State of the Union. In that speech he laid out his strategy concerning the war against the terrorists. Besides the typical you're with us or against us, if a country harbors terrorists, they are just as guilty, rhetoric, there was something else. He said something on the order of there needed to be a sea change in the middle east, that Madrasas could not be the only option. That hate could not be the only lesson available. I think this gives a glimmer of what Iraq was meant to be.

If you were going to take the offensive in the middle east, actually address the over-whelming hatred against the US that exists there, how would you do it? What could you possibly do to change it? Even a long shot. Clearly, what Clinton did, did not work. So, what else? Give them what they want and just leave? Order all commercial enterprises and US government installations shuttered and leave? That's not practical. So what?

The order of the day was a neo-con Hail Mary. You have to understand neo-cons worship at the alter of Democracy. I think they have a bit too much faith in that concept, but be that as it may, they believed they could flip a country make it a "shining city on a hill" make it an example. A choice for the restless young men of the middle east. Not immediately of course, but when all was said and done. Remember Bush told us this was a 50 year war. (Afghanistan is one battle in the war, Iraq is another battle in the war).

Ok, fair enough so let's see: I thought that the reason to go to Iraq was that they had weapons of mass destruction pointed at the US. Oh wait, no... it was that they were supporting Al-Qaeda. Oh wait, no, I'm wrong again, it was to topple the castrated Saddam regime. See, it's kinda hard to keep track of the different pretenses as it went on- but you already adressed this point: The administration was lying, but regardless of that it was in the interest of 'America' (begs the question, the interest of who in America?).

But see, here's my problem with the whole first part of the reasoning (Which I'm assuming is, but you can correct me if I'm wrong, that Bush was expecting that Iraqis would just be estatic over a US occupation, welcome them with open arms, let 'em topple Saddam, and then go about their day, electing a friendly government with no hassle, allowing American investment in, become a shining beacon of light in West Asia and North Africa- and that he actually believed this). My question to you is, where in the long history of American interventionism abroad has this ever happened? What evidence would the Bush administration be able to give that such a thing would ever happen instead of what every single expert predicted, which was that it would explode in chaos and sectarian violence, increase terrorism in the region substantially, etc. (and that we now know that actually happened)? It just seems a bit of a stretch to me to assume that the Neo-Cons in Washington were risking so many lives (more than a million now, BTW) on complete faith, with no evidence of it ever happening, which kinda ties in to that second point of "How do we stop the hatred against us in the Middle East?" I'm also having trouble with this stance that the administration devised that to end the hatred that the population feel would be best to invade a country. I just don't see the connection. 'How do we help our standing in the Middle East?' 'Well, why not invade them?' I mean, the only way I can see the argument make sense is to assume that the leadership really was that ridiculously stupid. Especially taking into account the gigantic irony that the same power that backed the brutal regime through it's worst attrocities was the invading power, and that really the same kind of people who backed it in the 80s were now in power to carry out this invasion. Maybe they all have Alzheimer's, but did they assume that all the Iraqis had it too? Because unlike Americans, I really doubt they just forgot about that detail. I mean, you have to understand what I'm trying to say. If I wanted someone to not hate me, the last thing I'd think of is to invade their property with guns.

Brings me to the third point, again, I don't understand the statement about conservatives worshipping at the alter of democracy. Is there some historical record of this that I've never seen? I mean, where they worshipping democracy when they installed Pinochet in Chile, or supported Suharto through his brutal genocide in East Timor, or Somoza while he robbed Nicaragua dry (and let's not forget, proceeded to re-arm and re-fund his brutal military police to terrorize the goverment and population that toppled the monster?), or the dictatorial Shah in Iran, the Saudi absolute monarchy, Saddam himself as he gassed the Kurds, the genocidal Apartheid Regime in South Africa? I just kinda need some evidence of neo-cons bringing democracy anywhere to believe that their REAL aim was to bring democracy to Iraq. Maybe they were just 'born again'.

Ok, up to now those are my questions. now...

The question was which country? Iran or Syria? Both members of the "Axis of Evil," both terror supporters in their own rights. Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan and the various Emirates dismissed because they were allies. Yeman? Too irrelevant. Other north African states too far on the periphery of the middle east, besides leverage could work on them (as in Libya). What about Iraq?

A country that lies in the middle of the middle east. A country with a secular background, less religious than other countries. A country with a strong, educated work force and some oil wealth. A country that had been weakened by sanctions for over 10 years.

So the question was which country? Which country what? What country they were going to make a shining beacon of light of democracy next? Alright, so here it kinda gets a little crazy. From what I understand (again, let me know if I'm wrong), the States had to go to war with some country so that the people of the Middle East would stop hating them, they just had to decide what country. What they knew is that they wanted a war. And now they just had to pick the target. Can we at least agree how incredibly sinister this looks? A group of leaders in the US, who have a long and [less than] successful history of implementing democracy around the world, knew that they had to bring peace and democracy to this place by starting a war. So they picked the most pariah of the lot, weakest, and with "some oil". I wanna bring attention to this because "some oil" in this case is the second largest oil reserve in the world, with estimates that its somewhere over 110 billion barrels, that 90% remains unexplored (probably about 100 billion barrels more), and some of the cheapest production costs... not to mention lack of infrastructure. This is very important. I don't think it can just be sumarized as "some oil", or even "quite a bit of oil" or "a whole lot of oil". It's more like the 'Big Whoop' of oil.

I don't know, guys, it's just like, I wish that I could believe moreso that it really was the fact that they wanted peace and democracy in the middle east, but just their record on peace and democracy and their record in oil (the 2 top dogs heavily involved in the oil business in between administrations?), it just... I'm seriously trying to think of a way that the priorities would make sense the way you're telling the story, but it just doesn't.

Strategic Advantages:
Taking Iraq drives a wedge between Iran and Syria. It isolates Iran because we have Turkey and Turkmenistan in the north Occupied Afghanistan on one side, Occupied Iraq on the other. The US Navy controlling the Persian Gulf on another border. Perfect position to monitor one part of the Axis of Evil and add pressure to their government all around.

Syria is similarly isolated. Turkey to the north. Occupied Iraq, Israel only Lebanon and its puppet government was friendly, though that changed.

Taking Iraq meant instantly removing one malefactor from the middle east puzzle and at a minimum neutralizing it while we occupied it. With a little luck, it flips completely and we have another friendly country providing an axis across the middle east of Israel, Jordan and Iraq of friendly nations. Note how Saudi Arabia isn't in the list.

Ok, from here on it makes more sense. "strategically", we dive into the middle of the region. Ok.

Reasons for war besides the above sited abbreviated list of strategic advantages:

The sanctions were falling apart. (France was openly advocating for the removal of sanctions. Most other European countries were just ignoring them). The oil for food program was a corrupt joke. The Iraqi military routinely fired on allied planes patrolling the no fly zones. Without continued sanctions, Iraq would once again become resurgent adding one more problem into an already problematic middle east.

The question then was do we remove the sanctions and hope for a new casus belli or do we go with what we have or think we have? (It would have been pie in the sky to think that Saddam was going to just be a good citizen, so that was not an option to consider).

Ok, makes sense, the sanctions that obliterated the [tattered remains of] the Iraqi middle class were being ignored, so we gotta assume that Saddam wasn't going to be a good citizen. Well, by all means, Saddam was never a good citizen, with or without US backing, but is it really pie in the sky to think he was any threat to the US? He had been virtually castrated, his economy was dead, his worst attrocities far behind him. Admittedly, without the support he enjoyed in the 1980s from the US, he could really not do much in the way of gassing Kurds or battling Iranians. So to assume that he was plotting some sort of resurgence or that he would've actually gotten it and actually become a threat, there's really almost as much evidence for that as there is of the Bush administration's heart being set on bringing peace and democracy to Iraq.

My question was, why not tell the people what we are doing and why. Why use the WMD BS to justify the war. But, this was probably someone's bright idea that this is an easy mark. Everyone knew he had WMD, the hard part was making it look immediately dangerous. The only thing worse than the execution of the run up to war was the execution of the immediate aftermath of the military campaign. But, I think I'll stop here. I promised a why did we do Iraq essay, not a review of the entire war.

Ok, go ahead and fire away.

Ok, so let's assume that there is in fact much to gain strategically for America from an invasion of Iraq. It's true, they cut through the "axis of evil", encircle Iran, isolate syria, and, most importantly, gain control of the second largest oil reserves in the region.

Is it worth 5,000 Americans? or a million iraqi lives? or four million refugees- one of the worst humanitarian crises in history?

Is it fair to assume that the Bush administration wanted to on one hand "bring peace to iraq" while on the other "draw the terrorists to kill them there?" I don't know, but if I was an Iraqi, I wouldn't really want my country to be used as a fly swatter. In fact, hey, now that 1 out of every 7 people I knew is dead or exiled, there's no functioning economy, and my country's full of terrorists... hell, I might as well become one!

Kind of a dangerous road they took to peace, didn't they?

A rather bold thing to say about a Nation with Nuclear weapons if you ask me.

Mushariff won't bomb us or any of his neighbors if we did strategic strikes. And maybe we should take him out because he has WMD's?

The fear is that he will lose face with his citizens for allowing us to do that. We don't want him overthrown and have that country taken over by radical extremist anti American leaders. The tribal leaders in Pakistan have a lot of clout.

And what sucks is that Pakistan was a very progressive and industrialized muslim country. I have encyclopedia's from when I was a kid in the 80's and they were very prosperous with a booming economy. I don't know how or why they are turning radical or anti American. I think they are like the USA. We are split too. We have neo cons and progressives and we don't want the right wing party in Pakistan taking power because they mix religion and politics. Sound familiar? So we like Mushariff in power. Sorta like how Saddam was no angel, but he kept his citizens in line.

This is why we shouldn' have invaded Iraq. We squandered the international support we had after 9-11. I bet even Pakistan was willing to help us after 9-11. Actually, Mushariff is supposed to be a partner on the war on terrorism. Maybe he too doesn't approve of our invading Iraq and that's why we can't get the job done.

Bush squandered international support so his rich buddies could get richer in Iraq. There wasn't enough oil in Afganistan.

The entire world was behind us. Not anymore. So now we have to tip toe and we can't even go after the guy who flew planes into our buildings. What happened to you are either with us or against us and dead or alive?

All talk. And we had Osama surrounded on all 3 sides in the Tora Bora mountains, but we forgot the 4th side and let him get away.

Is that because they wanted enemy number one at large so they could use him to scare us into allowing them to do whatever they wanted to do? Disaster capitalism?

I don't buy that. Quite a few of them come from upper and middle class families and extremely wealthy countries. Like Saudi Arabia.

True, some of them just hate us, but I bet you that most suicide bombers are broke when they do what they do. The terrorists pay their families after they blow themselves up.

Mushariff won't bomb us or any of his neighbors if we did strategic strikes.

The fear is that he will lose face with his citizens for allowing us to do that. We don't want him overthrown and have that country taken over by radical extremist anti American leaders. The tribal leaders in Pakistan have a lot of clout.

First off I think it is rather bold to think they would not use their nukes.

Second you are totally correct the fear is we will cause Muchariff to be overthrown and replaced by radical Muslims who might hand over Nukes or Nuke tech to the wrong people, who might then use it on us.

It is a very tough situation if you ask me, and one that needs to be approached with great caution.

Those who assume we went to war for one reason or another are rather blind if you ask me. we went to war in Iraq for many reasons not one.

So how do we win the war on terror? Besides the typical, "turn their country into a parking lot".

I'm curious what you think we need to do to get them to stop hating the West. Stop blowing themselves up to kill us.

They must hate us pretty bad to blow themselves up.

Like, what should our long term plan be.

1. Invest in businesses over there to give their economy a boost? If they are working and have money, they'll hate us less. And they must be cheap labor.

2. PR campaign?

3. Send charity and school books? I heard of one idea to send books about America like Mark Twain or stories about the Alaska wilderness, etc. Harry Potter, etc.

I'm asking?

First off I think it is rather bold to think they would not use their nukes.

Second you are totally correct the fear is we will cause Muchariff to be overthrown and replaced by radical Muslims who might hand over Nukes or Nuke tech to the wrong people, who might then use it on us.

It is a very tough situation if you ask me, and one that needs to be approached with great caution.

We need to get the majority of Pakistani citizens to turn on the radicals running terrorist training camps on their border and in their mountains. Then the radicals won't have the power or influence to overthrow the government. But you are right, easier said than done.

And Pakistan can't use nukes on us. Their nukes don't go that far and we'd nuke them back. Plus, Mushariff won't go that far protecting the radicals. He has a truce with them, but he isn't one of them. But we would make him look bad and that's not a good thing. True.

We need to get the majority of Pakistani citizens to turn on the radicals running terrorist training camps on their border and in their mountains. Then the radicals won't have the power or influence to overthrow the government. But you are right, easier said than done.

And Pakistan can't use nukes on us. Their nukes don't go that far and we'd nuke them back. Plus, Mushariff won't go that far protecting the radicals. He has a truce with them, but he isn't one of them. But we would make him look bad and that's not a good thing. True.

Sending nukes on a missel is not the only way they can be used though. My fear is not a direct attack. Hell they would be insane to do so, as we would decimate them for it. No my fear is them slipping a nuke to the wrong people, who might then use it on us, or our allies.

I don't thik israel, india or pakistan would use nukes except for maybe an absolute last resort. All the wars, all the tension for all these years and not one nuke has ever been dropped. We are the only ones to atom bomb anyone and that was in the 1940's.

I think this is why we need to make a deal with Mushariff NOW. Redeploy our troops to Afganistan and wipe out the terrorists in that country. Surround them this time. Not just on 3 sides. Totally surround them. Like this 0. And then run covert operations in Pakistan where we know there are terrorist training camps. If our government can keep things from us, I'm sure Mushariff can play dumb with his citizens too. Down play the operations. We are the greatest military in the world. I find it funny all these tough guys talking tough about how we are winning in Iraq, who also has terrorists going in and out of iraq via iran, suggest we can't go into Pakistan's mountains with our fighter planes and carpet bomb them. Did you guys see the FOX post I put up about how we knew 70% where Bin ladin was and we let him get away? PUSSIES!!! LOL

Sending nukes on a missel is not the only way they can be used though. My fear is not a direct attack. Hell they would be insane to do so, as we would decimate them for it. No my fear is them slipping a nuke to the wrong people, who might then use it on us, or our allies.

Then maybe we should have invaded Pakistan, not Iraq.

Ok, fair enough so let's see: I thought that the reason to go to Iraq was that they had weapons of mass destruction pointed at the US. Oh wait, no... it was that they were supporting Al-Qaeda. Oh wait, no, I'm wrong again, it was to topple the castrated Saddam regime. See, it's kinda hard to keep track of the different pretenses as it went on- but you already adressed this point: The administration was lying, but regardless of that it was in the interest of 'America' (begs the question, the interest of who in America?).

But see, here's my problem with the whole first part of the reasoning (Which I'm assuming is, but you can correct me if I'm wrong, that Bush was expecting that Iraqis would just be estatic over a US occupation, welcome them with open arms, let 'em topple Saddam, and then go about their day, electing a friendly government with no hassle, allowing American investment in, become a shining beacon of light in West Asia and North Africa- and that he actually believed this). My question to you is, where in the long history of American interventionism abroad has this ever happened? What evidence would the Bush administration be able to give that such a thing would ever happen instead of what every single expert predicted, which was that it would explode in chaos and sectarian violence, increase terrorism in the region substantially, etc. (and that we now know that actually happened)? It just seems a bit of a stretch to me to assume that the Neo-Cons in Washington were risking so many lives (more than a million now, BTW) on complete faith, with no evidence of it ever happening, which kinda ties in to that second point of "How do we stop the hatred against us in the Middle East?" I'm also having trouble with this stance that the administration devised that to end the hatred that the population feel would be best to invade a country. I just don't see the connection. 'How do we help our standing in the Middle East?' 'Well, why not invade them?' I mean, the only way I can see the argument make sense is to assume that the leadership really was that ridiculously stupid. Especially taking into account the gigantic irony that the same power that backed the brutal regime through it's worst attrocities was the invading power, and that really the same kind of people who backed it in the 80s were now in power to carry out this invasion. Maybe they all have Alzheimer's, but did they assume that all the Iraqis had it too? Because unlike Americans, I really doubt they just forgot about that detail. I mean, you have to understand what I'm trying to say. If I wanted someone to not hate me, the last thing I'd think of is to invade their property with guns.

Brings me to the third point, again, I don't understand the statement about conservatives worshipping at the alter of democracy. Is there some historical record of this that I've never seen? I mean, where they worshipping democracy when they installed Pinochet in Chile, or supported Suharto through his brutal genocide in East Timor, or Somoza while he robbed Nicaragua dry (and let's not forget, proceeded to re-arm and re-fund his brutal military police to terrorize the goverment and population that toppled the monster?), or the dictatorial Shah in Iran, the Saudi absolute monarchy, Saddam himself as he gassed the Kurds, the genocidal Apartheid Regime in South Africa? I just kinda need some evidence of neo-cons bringing democracy anywhere to believe that their REAL aim was to bring democracy to Iraq. Maybe they were just 'born again'.

Ok, up to now those are my questions. now...

So the question was which country? Which country what? What country they were going to make a shining beacon of light of democracy next? Alright, so here it kinda gets a little crazy. From what I understand (again, let me know if I'm wrong), the States had to go to war with some country so that the people of the Middle East would stop hating them, they just had to decide what country. What they knew is that they wanted a war. And now they just had to pick the target. Can we at least agree how incredibly sinister this looks? A group of leaders in the US, who have a long and [less than] successful history of implementing democracy around the world, knew that they had to bring peace and democracy to this place by starting a war. So they picked the most pariah of the lot, weakest, and with "some oil". I wanna bring attention to this because "some oil" in this case is the second largest oil reserve in the world, with estimates that its somewhere over 110 billion barrels, that 90% remains unexplored (probably about 100 billion barrels more), and some of the cheapest production costs... not to mention lack of infrastructure. This is very important. I don't think it can just be sumarized as "some oil", or even "quite a bit of oil" or "a whole lot of oil". It's more like the 'Big Whoop' of oil.

I don't know, guys, it's just like, I wish that I could believe moreso that it really was the fact that they wanted peace and democracy in the middle east, but just their record on peace and democracy and their record in oil (the 2 top dogs heavily involved in the oil business in between administrations?), it just... I'm seriously trying to think of a way that the priorities would make sense the way you're telling the story, but it just doesn't.

Ok, from here on it makes more sense. "strategically", we dive into the middle of the region. Ok.

Ok, makes sense, the sanctions that obliterated the [tattered remains of] the Iraqi middle class were being ignored, so we gotta assume that Saddam wasn't going to be a good citizen. Well, by all means, Saddam was never a good citizen, with or without US backing, but is it really pie in the sky to think he was any threat to the US? He had been virtually castrated, his economy was dead, his worst attrocities far behind him. Admittedly, without the support he enjoyed in the 1980s from the US, he could really not do much in the way of gassing Kurds or battling Iranians. So to assume that he was plotting some sort of resurgence or that he would've actually gotten it and actually become a threat, there's really almost as much evidence for that as there is of the Bush administration's heart being set on bringing peace and democracy to Iraq.

Ok, so let's assume that there is in fact much to gain strategically for America from an invasion of Iraq. It's true, they cut through the "axis of evil", encircle Iran, isolate syria, and, most importantly, gain control of the second largest oil reserves in the region.

Is it worth 5,000 Americans? or a million iraqi lives? or four million refugees- one of the worst humanitarian crises in history?

Is it fair to assume that the Bush administration wanted to on one hand "bring peace to iraq" while on the other "draw the terrorists to kill them there?" I don't know, but if I was an Iraqi, I wouldn't really want my country to be used as a fly swatter. In fact, hey, now that 1 out of every 7 people I knew is dead or exiled, there's no functioning economy, and my country's full of terrorists... hell, I might as well become one!

Kind of a dangerous road they took to peace, didn't they?

I must say I really enjoyed your response. I was smiling most of the way through it. I'm glad I found someone wordier than me...lol.

Truth be told I was trying to leave for home when the request came for the essay. So, it's hardly as tight as I would like to have made it. But, I'll do what I can for you.

First, do not confuse my support for the policy with support for Bush or his execution of the policy. As I've said elsewhere I've never been a fan of his and I think he made a laundry list of mistakes in his prosecution of the war.

That said, who in America? Well, come on. Let's have a serious discussion here. America as a nation-state as set against an extra-national opponent. Since all citizens security interests are at stake, everyone collectively. Nobody gets to have a little stamp of approval for each and every thing done.

No, my point wasn't that Bush et al. expected open arms and waving flags. As I carefully stated, the benefit of Iraq was not a short-term project. In the short-term, in fact, as you correctly state, it is likely to "fan the flames." But that's obvious. What's much more subtle, and to my point, was after the fighting has been over for 5 or 10 years and the US is by and large gone in any kind of military capacity, what will the effects on the region be if there is an economically successful, free Iraq? What the neo-cons hope for is that the youth of the Middle East look at that example and say, "Why not here? Why not in my country? Why must we live under a despotic ruler?" That, of course, is the "We've succeeded beyond all realistic expectation" outcome. Acceptable results include a country rather like Jordan. Not really too much for us or against us, but a stable relatively good actor in the region. It would be nice if they liked to trade with us too. My reaction upon looking at what it would take to "do" Iraq was 10 years and 10,000 KIA. So far we're over-performing. Again the what I was trying to get across, for the "benefit" part of the exercise, you have to wait 15-20 years. But, as I said, Bush said this was a 50 year war, so a 15-20 horizon is not unreasonable in that context.

Ah, I didn't say "conservatives" worship democracy. I said neo-cons do. Confusing the two is a mistake. I don't believe they have a historical basis to look at to examine how well their theories work. I understand the references you cite, but I don't think the neo-cons had much to do with those.

As far as the which country question, yeah I damn sure hope they have some oil and I hope we get some of it too. For those of you who argued this war was for oil, well? Where the fuck is it? Come on! point to all this oil. The War is won, now where's the damned oil? But, seriously the strategic location, the people and the relative condition of the country after sanctions were probably the most important consideration.

Sinister? Um...this is war on a global scale. We're the world's last remaining super-power and people are gunning for us. Time to toss out the rose colored glasses, put down the sheet music to Kumbaya and strap on your big boy pants. Of course we are acting in our self-interest and in the process stepping on (and because we are over weight) breaking a few toes. (In your translation killing millions). That's what happens when a thumb gets jabbed in the eye of a sleeping super-power (9/11). You'd think that people would think twice before doing it, but I guess they aren't too rational. So, yes, sinister and I don't have a problem with that. Others would do it to us if they could, don't think they wouldn't.

Is it worth it? Not too be crass or cavalier, but yes. I was prepared for up to 10,000 KIA, anything less is a blessing. More people died in two hours at Normandy that have died in 5 years in Iraq. 10 times as many died in Vietnam. More people have been murdered in CA since the beginning of the war. Was that worth it?

And, no I wouldn't want my country used as a fly swatter either but C'est la guerre. Ok that was cavalier.

Then maybe we should have invaded Pakistan, not Iraq.

Maybe, I was never for invading Iraq in the first place. I always thought we could take care of Saddam and his buddies with a few bullets. However we did Invade Iraq, and Now I do not see leaving it in ruins, a defeat, as a good option.

I agree most people would only use nukes as a last resort, However I do not think Radical Fundamentalist Muslims are most people.

Forum List

Back