I knew there was something I didn't like about the new Pope

gop_jeff said:
Children do not understand fact vs fiction as well as adults do. There are kids who have written in to Hogwarts Academy, begging to be admitted, after reading Harry Potter.
Now, is the book to blame for that or is it the parent who failed to explain that hogwarts isn't real?

gop_jeff said:
And if the moral of a story - be it a cartoon, movie, book, real or fantasy - is that evil (i.e. magic) triumphs, then it's common sense to keep your kids from it.
magic is evil? do we, as humans, really know what magic is? Jesus healed the sick, was that magic?

SmarterThanYou said:
Now, is the book to blame for that or is it the parent who failed to explain that hogwarts isn't real?

I blame the parents, first and foremost, for a) letting the child read the book, and b) not explaining reality to their kid.

magic is evil? do we, as humans, really know what magic is? Jesus healed the sick, was that magic?

The Bible is very clear about magic - it is called an abomination.

And what Jesus did what use His divine powers. Since He is God, He is able to do those things. Magic (or the occult, or witchcraft), because it uses supernatural powers to imitate the divine power of God, is different - and God says so.

manu1959 said:
like i said then....the christian religion is not then too fragile to stand up to a children's book....which makes me wonder why "condem" it ....why give it press?.....why not expose the virtues of the christian religion rather than waste time and energy speaking ill of that which is so obviuosly wrong?

The Christian religion is not "fragile." It does, however take a lot of discipline. Christian parents have a huge battle against popular culture if they intend to raise their children in the faith. Why restrict children from doing anything? Evil is enticing yet subtle, and some children are simply not mature enough to differentiate.

mom4 said:
Evil is enticing yet subtle, and some children are simply not mature enough to differentiate.

Which is exactly why parents need to shield their children from Harry Potter. Most kids are totally unaware of the connections between "innocent" white magic in Harry Potter and the occult.

gop_jeff said:
I blame the parents, first and foremost, for a) letting the child read the book, and b) not explaining reality to their kid.
So do you consider the authors of said books as evil? Do you consider parents who let their kids read these books as evil and/or misguided?

gop_jeff said:
Magic (or the occult, or witchcraft), because it uses supernatural powers to imitate the divine power of God, is different - and God says so.
I haven't read the bible in a long time, what book and verse(s) is that part in?

-=d=- said:
I asked if you were Catholic...you didn't reply, so I assumed you are not.

:)
ah, ok. no, i'm not catholic. Does that make me a non-believer?

SmarterThanYou said:
So do you consider the authors of said books as evil? Do you consider parents who let their kids read these books as evil and/or misguided?

I consider all people sinful by nature, including parents and J.K. Rowling. Certainly I think that a parent who allows their children to read Harry Potter is misguided, for the reasons I stated above.

I haven't read the bible in a long time, what book and verse(s) is that part in?

Here are links to a few.

Deuteronomy 18:9-11

2 Chronicles 33:6

Galatians 5:19-21

Revelation 9:20-21

Revelation 21:8

The Pastor I spoke of earlier explained that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a particularly heinous example as it taught magic was okay while exemplifying Christianity. It made many parents believe that the books were okay but they still planted the seeds in the minds of many children that there might be a difference between bad and good magic.

While I personally am not a Christian, I could understand a parent that would stop their children from reading the Harry Potter books based on the underlying message of "good" magic is okay, "bad" magic is what is needed to watch out for. This can put into the subconscious that there is a difference regardless of the teaching of the parent. Thus planting a seed of dischord within the mind of a young Christian, whether it is at the front of the mind or only within the subconscious.

no1tovote4 said:
The Pastor I spoke of earlier explained that the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was a particularly heinous example as it taught magic was okay while exemplifying Christianity. It made many parents believe that the books were okay but they still planted the seeds in the minds of many children that there might be a difference between bad and good magic.

While I personally am not a Christian, I could understand a parent that would stop their children from reading the Harry Potter books based on the underlying message of "good" magic is okay, "bad" magic is what is needed to watch out for. This can put into the subconscious that there is a difference regardless of the teaching of the parent. Thus planting a seed of dischord within the mind of a young Christian, whether it is at the front of the mind or only within the subconscious.

Again - give kids more credit...give 'the faithful' more credit, too. Most people won't be swayed into having 'faith' in magic. Harry Potter - wont become their religion, FuzzyKitten notwithstanding, because of some intertaining stories.

-=d=- said:
Again - give kids more credit...give 'the faithful' more credit, too. Most people won't be swayed into having 'faith' in magic. Harry Potter - wont become their religion, FuzzyKitten notwithstanding, because of some intertaining stories.

All I was saying is I could have an understanding of a parent doing it, not that I endorsed the position itself.

I don't think the Pope is bad for having an opinion on the books that is in opposition to my opinion. I can even see which path the thoughts took to get the Vatican to that position.

I don't think you will hear any Buddhist Priest speaking against Harry Potter books.

mom4 said:
Ehhh... I'm up in the air about this one. Read the first four books. I don't let my 3rd grader read them bc I think they get a bit graphic. The thing that made up my mind was the scene where the guy cuts off his own hand to give to Voldemort. Don't want my 8-yr-old reading stuff like that. Other issues I have are how Harry frequently disobeys authority figures and is rewarded for this. And the underlying current of humanism. I also agree that magic of this sort should not be seen as "good." Although I see the point about Disney; you have the good fairies, fairy godmothers, etc. Maybe when she gets older we will read them together, and I can reinforce our worldview with her. As for the writing, I have hardly ever read anything so interesting, the plots are good and tight.

the books are meant to be age appropriate as Harry gets older, and deals with worse stuff, like in book 4, he's 14. book 5 is much more complicated (thus the length), so someone about 13+ would most likely be able to deal with it and understand it. The first book is not at all, specially fitting to ages 9-12. The Brother's Grimm stories are MUCH more graphic, and those are the original children's stories.

These books are fantasy. The whole 'white magic' thing is bull. The fairy godmother in Cinderella used magic for a 'good' purpose. Yet they don't condemn that story.

fuzzykitten99 said:
the books are meant to be age appropriate as Harry gets older, and deals with worse stuff, like in book 4, he's 14. book 5 is much more complicated (thus the length), so someone about 13+ would most likely be able to deal with it and understand it. The first book is not at all, specially fitting to ages 9-12. The Brother's Grimm stories are MUCH more graphic, and those are the original children's stories.

These books are fantasy. The whole 'white magic' thing is bull. The fairy godmother in Cinderella used magic for a 'good' purpose. Yet they don't condemn that story.

I am telling you that the pastor that I grew up with did condemn that story as well. Along with the Wizard of Oz and every other story where magic was glorified. Harry Potter books would have the equal evil of his disobedience being rewarded. I am almost positive that that pastor would clearly condemn these stories as well.

gop_jeff said:
I consider all people sinful by nature, including parents and J.K. Rowling. Certainly I think that a parent who allows their children to read Harry Potter is misguided, for the reasons I stated above.

Here are links to a few.

Deuteronomy 18:9-11

2 Chronicles 33:6

Galatians 5:19-21

Revelation 9:20-21

Revelation 21:8

Wow, then I must be on a fast track to hell. I love to read these books not for the 'wizard' part, but for the story WITHIN the setting. I believe kids should have the greatest imaginations that they can. TV and video games take away from their own creativity. I feel that most catholic rules prohibit creativity and free thoughts.

I don't know of a 7 year old who could read Harry Potter and fully understand it. The books are geared to kids 9+, and get more complicated for the reader and take on more age related issues as Harry gets older. Like in #5 when he kisses Cho Chang. At 15, this is his first kiss. I doubt kids ages 9-11 would even want to hear about something like that.

-=d=- said:

ha ha very funny.
it's not a religion for me. i just am too anxious for the 6th book and 4th movie to get here.

well put. my brother is 13 and loves these books. he HATED reading before. i guess that is how i got into them. i borrowed one about 3 years ago and became hooked.

Here is my 8 almost 9 year old's response to the movies, he has not read the books yet. I asked him what his opinion was on the movies.................

"I think it is make believe because it is a movie and it is not real."

I also asked him about the magic in the movie he looked at me with a weird look and said........ "It's fake!"

So basically I believe it comes down to the parent's if you do not watch or read what your kid's are, then they could be easily manipulated by the media. I however make sure I point out to my children that is not real, it is make believe, fantasy, etc.

fuzzykitten99 said:

This is a problem for my little girl. She was reading The Hobbit, and understanding it. She can read at a level above her age. It is very hard to find material that is challenging for her, yet has appropriate subject matter.

I don't read Brothers Grimm to them.

As I said, I believe when she gets older, we will go through these books together. I believe there is material in here that runs counter to our worldview.

I think this subject is a gray area. These books definitely have subject matter that is contradictory to the Christian faith. However, different Christians are called to different things. We are called to "be in the world, but not of the world. There are monks and prayer warriors who are called to almost completely separate themselves from the culture, but others are called to engage in society for the purpose of bringing God into the culture through them. At least one Christian had to read this series in order to critique it from the Christian perspective.

As for children, like I said before, evil is a subtle thing, and the Harry Potter books are fantasticly creative and interesting. Each parent needs to judge for him/herself the susceptiblity of his/her child and make rules accordingly.

come on harry potter is just a book ..... nothing more nothing less .....it does not advocate the destruction of the christian faith....lighten up

Forum List

Back