I knew it wouldn't take long: re - stolen VA Records official the fault of GWB

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
wow.

I need somebody to explain how somebody so educated and 'successfull' as a US Senator can be such an absolute TOOL.

"It's amazing. Such incompetence is worse than anything I've ever seen in six administrations," Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said at a news briefing. "At some point, this administration has got to stop saying we'll hire or appoint political cronies, but we'll actually appoint somebody who knows how to make the government work."

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Lawmakers from both parties said Wednesday the Bush administration should provide money and take responsibility for the data security breach involving nearly all active-duty military, Guard and Reserve members.

More:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/43795.htm

OK, I'll bite on your little trolling expedition dmp... who should take the blame for this breach of security? Who's head should roll?

jasendorf said:
OK, I'll bite on your little trolling expedition dmp... who should take the blame for this breach of security? Who's head should roll?

The idiot that first of all allowed them to collect data on millions, most of which never applied for help from the VA. He is a bureaucrat that has worked there through several administrations. Also the idiot that took home a computer that they were not supposed to. When I was working at a government agency, had I removed information that I wasn't supposed to have I would have been in prison....

How can you possibly think that this type of direct decision is somehow Bush's fault? There is no possible way he could micromanage to this level, there are not enough centuries in existence for any one person to do that.

jasendorf said:

how about this:

"THE FUCKER WHO TOOK THE INFORMATION HOME?" Maybe????

wow.

I bet you're in the camp who blamed GWB for last year's hurricane season, too.

no1tovote4 said:
The idiot that first of all allowed them to collect data on millions, most of which never applied for help from the VA. He is a bureaucrat that has worked there through several administrations. Also the idiot that took home a computer that they were not supposed to. When I was working at a government agency, had I removed information that I wasn't supposed to have I would have been in prison....

How can you possibly think that this type of direct decision is somehow Bush's fault?

Now wait a friggin' second here! I never blamed President Bush or anyone over this... don't go ascribing what you WANT me to say until I say it... fair enough?

There is no possible way he could micromanage to this level, there are not enough centuries in existence for any one person to do that.

I agree that he couldn't micromanage at that level. But there's more to it than that. I'll expand on that in a bit here.

jasendorf said:

Who would you behead over this?

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
dmp said:
how about this:

"THE FUCKER WHO TOOK THE INFORMATION HOME?" Maybe????

wow.

I bet you're in the camp who blamed GWB for last year's hurricane season, too.

Once again... I've blamed no one for this yet... why don't you hold your fire until I do? Too much to ask? It's coming right up.

I'm not sure what Lalaworld you live in... but in the real world of IT... we have these little things called procedures and policies and security. For instance, my badge has a little icon on it which indicates that I am allowed to take a laptop home... the security guys look at every person as they leave and make sure that those taking stuff home have the appropriate icon.

Now, I'm not saying that the system can't be gamed... and, perhaps that's what happened here... perhaps the guy who took the laptop home snuck it past some guards... don't know. But, I want to know (and the VA's homepage doesn't say)... 1) if it's against policy for this guy to take home a laptop with this information on it... how was he able to do it? how'd this guy get past your guards with a laptop he shouldn't have had? 2) what's your procedure for making sure this information doesn't leave the premises? since that procedure failed, what are you going to do to fix it? 3) what security measures are in place to keep this information out of the hands of those who don't need access to it and what security measures are in place to make sure those who do have it don't break the policies surrounding taking it home?

If this were to happen out here in the real world, not lalagovernment world, I assure you that these are the questions our customers would be asking us. And, they wouldn't take, "we put the guy who gave away your information on administrative leave" for an answer either. There'd be heads all the way up to the InfoSec's director... perhaps even the CIO... rolling

You are TERRIBLE at quoting btw...

jasendorf said:
I've blamed no one for this yet... why don't you hold your fire until I do? Too much to ask? It's coming right up.

Nobody accused of blaming anyone - the sheer idiocy in your posts, however, suggest you'd NOT place the blame squarely upon the focker who brought the info home.

jasendorf said:
I'm not sure what Lalaworld you live in... but in the real world of IT... we have these little things called procedures and policies and security. For instance, my badge has a little icon on it which indicates that I am allowed to take a laptop home... the security guys look at every person as they leave and make sure that those taking stuff home have the appropriate icon.

None of that matters. None of that matters to this story. Are you trying to show off? do you think you're smarter than I am?

Now, I'm not saying that the system can't be gamed... and, perhaps that's what happened here... perhaps the guy who took the laptop home snuck it past some guards... don't know. But, I want to know (and the VA's homepage doesn't say)... 1) if it's against policy for this guy to take home a laptop with this information on it... how was he able to do it? how'd this guy get past your guards with a laptop he shouldn't have had? 2) what's your procedure for making sure this information doesn't leave the premises? since that procedure failed, what are you going to do to fix it? 3) what security measures are in place to keep this information out of the hands of those who don't need access to it and what security measures are in place to make sure those who do have it don't break the policies surrounding taking it home?

What is your major malfunction? Theres no breakdown in system or policy - it was ONE guy Failing to secure sensative information. Get over it. Stop hunting for bullshit when the bull is right in front of you.

If this were to happen out here in the real world, not lalagovernment world, I assure you that these are the questions our customers would be asking us. And, they wouldn't take, "we put the guy who gave away your information on administrative leave" for an answer either. There'd be heads all the way up to the InfoSec's director... perhaps even the CIO... rolling

Fuck you and your real world. Newsflash, sweetheart - you HAVE your world because people like ME work at keeping your world safe.

Just like you, and your ilk. Blame. Blame is most important. The focker who took the info home should be fired. That's the cause of the problem, unless it comes out that he was INSTRUCTED to take the information home.

jasendorf said:

I suppose if I shoot someone, we should blame the person who made the gun, the trucking company who hired the driver to deliver the gun to the store, the person who sold me the gun, the guy who sold me the gas to put in my car for when I went to buy the gun, and last but not least, the car maker for making the car that I drove to the gas station to fill up with gas so I could go to the store and buy the gun that I shot the guy with.

I worked in some of the most secure compounds in the Air Force and had access to Top Secret Codeword information (and higher) on a hourly basis.

It would have been very easy to fold one of those pieces of paper and stick in my pocket and take out of the building.

If I did that, who would be to blame?

jasendorf said:
Now wait a friggin' second here! I never blamed President Bush or anyone over this... don't go ascribing what you WANT me to say until I say it... fair enough?

You asked who else other than Bush... It was pretty clear by implication who you blamed in that statement. Your "troll" statement about the fact that DMP made it clear he blamed another other than bush also made clear implication as to whom you are blaming...

So, I took the implication and expanded but I wasn't pulling out of thin air here...

jasendorf said:

Which is what I basically stated. Blame the guy who allowed this to be brought home, without permission. They made it clear it was way outside policy to be taking this computer home... Also blame the guy who took it home without the authority to do so.

jasendorf said:

I'd like to know where you work, and why you assume government employees would need to wear a stupid badge to be able to take something like a laptop home. Especially when they work for a non-DoD entity such as the VA.

1) if it's against policy for this guy to take home a laptop with this information on it... how was he able to do it? how'd this guy get past your guards with a laptop he shouldn't have had?
What makes you think there are any "guards" where he works?

2) what's your procedure for making sure this information doesn't leave the premises? since that procedure failed, what are you going to do to fix it?
The US Gov tells its employees its illegal to do so, and they may be prosecuted if they do.

3) what security measures are in place to keep this information out of the hands of those who don't need access to it and what security measures are in place to make sure those who do have it don't break the policies surrounding taking it home?
Virtually none. Hiring guards to watch over every single government agency to make sure their own employees are following the rules would cost....a 100 million metric fucktons of cash.

But please, if you have any brilliant ideas for government IT units then I'm all ears.

The "customers" in this case, people such as myself, are demanding that some heads roll. The VA, just like every single other government agency is its own entity. I would say whoever the chief of the IT center at this place has alot to answer for. Why all this information was ever on a laptop in the first place. I can understand all the information being on servers/databases, but not a laptop. The person who took it home knew he wasn't supposed to, there is no way even a dumbass government employee could be that dumb. He should be going to jail IMO. I highly doubt that even the head of the Department of Veterian Affairs knows jackshit about technology, hell many managers of IT units don't know jack shit about tech. Such is the way of our incompetent government...*sigh*

theHawk said:
The "customers" in this case, people such as myself, are demanding that some heads roll. The VA, just like every single other government agency is its own entity. I would say whoever the chief of the IT center at this place has alot to answer for. Why all this information was ever on a laptop in the first place. I can understand all the information being on servers/databases, but not a laptop. The person who took it home knew he wasn't supposed to, there is no way even a dumbass government employee could be that dumb. He should be going to jail IMO. I highly doubt that even the head of the Department of Veterian Affairs knows jackshit about technology, hell many managers of IT units don't know jack shit about tech. Such is the way of our incompetent government...*sigh*

There is a lawsuit against them now for keeping information on Veterans that have never made a request from them... I'm wondering how much this one is going to cost them.

theHawk said:
Supposedly they are trying to sue to get $1000 per vet it has effected.
Think my purple heart dad, from Omaha Beach can get in? He's got excellent credit and has been to the VA hospitals recently for hearing aids and injury related problems.

I can't believe you people expect so little in regards to information security.

While those of us not working for the government are securing data and resecuring data, the government is ignoring its own lack of security.

For all the ex-military around here... I find it hard to believe that anyone of you can ever remember passing a billboard that didn't have a flyer on it that said something to the effect of, "Lock It Up, Preventing Theft Is Your Responsibility" which then had some silly cartoon padlock with a smiley face on it.

I don't know about you, but if I failed to lock my doors and some criminal walked in and stole from me... I'd feel some of the responsibility for not LOCKING MY SH*T UP! But, I guess everyone here believes that there are no criminals and no shortcut-takers so there's no reason to have strong security measures in places where millions of veterans' personal information is accessible. A simple "don't take it home" is "security" enough in your eyes?

Ludicrous.

And stupid.

Forum List

Back