I knew all of these guys

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
I was drafted and served 1970-71

I knew all of the various characters and personalities in this scene from the movie Platoon.

Not all at the same time mind you; but scattered throughout my 2 years in the "Green Machine".

The beer drinking rednecks, the "heads", clueless college boy officers, uneducated brothers, and other guys portrayed in the movie.

Viewing this clip always brings back the memories. ..... :cool:

Last edited:
Hossfly, whom I greatly respect, gave my OP a gold star (which means a lot to me).

So, I'm assuming he meet the same cast of characters during his time in service. ........ :thup:

I was with one particular cast of characters Nov 14-17, 1965, a 72 hour period, in the Ia Drang Valley of Vietnam in a little clearing called LZ X-RAY. At the Veterans Day celebration in Arlington, VA in November, we meet every year to honor our fallen brothers. This year was the 51st anniversary and our ranks are rapidly thinning. I spent the three days with Ernie Savage, Bruce "Snakeshit" Crandall, Tony Nadal, Joe Galloway, Joe Marm and a number of others. You will remember those guys were portrayed in the movie, We Were Soldiers. Many of the others have departed to Fiddler's Green where every Cavalry Trooper eventually goes. Agent Orange killed us all in the Ia Drang, some of us just haven't died yet. Luckily my prostate cancer was detected early.
In my avatar the black diagonal stripe on my association jacket says LZ X-RAY. The original picture was taken on March 12, 2014. The other is some of my gang in November near The VN Wall. I am in the right rear in a baseball cap. I forgot my Stetson.

upload_2017-2-10_20-40-37.png

upload_2017-2-10_20-46-39.png

Forum List

Back