I keep hearing a 15 second buzzing sound in my speaker every 5 minutes, what is it?

Happening

Rookie
Jan 7, 2011
I noticed a buzzing sound coming from my speaker earlier today.

Tonight, I decided to see if it had a pattern to it, and it does. I suddenly hear what sounds like an electronic drilling hum for about 15 to 20 seconds, and it happens every five minutes.

I disconnected my speaker wire from my computer, and the sound was still coming out of the speaker. The speaker has its own power supply, so I am assuming that somewhere nearby someone is powering up a device for approximately 15-20 seconds, then it stops for around 5 minutes.

I've been actually clock checking for the past 45 minutes....

On at 11:38:15 seconds, off at 11:38:33 seconds.... it was exactly every five minutes for a couple of cycles, then it slowed just a bit and now it is starting at around 12:28:30 seconds, off at around 12:28:45 seconds.

I have to have my speaker up all the way. There is nothing where I am at that goes on and off every five minutes. The next one should happen at 12:33:35 seconds. (west coast time).

sun of a gun, right on cue, at 12:33:34 seconds, off at 12:33:54 seconds.

creepy stuff.

I'll wait to see if it happens, then submit my post.

Next one should happen at 12:38:36 seconds. As soon as it starts making the sound, I'll hit the post reply button.

It happened exactly at 12:38:36 seconds.

I frickin hate this.

My cable box was changed a day ago, could that be it? I am not hooked up to it in any way but it is nearby.

I'm going to unplug the cable box and see if the sound still happens.

Is your cellphone near the computer? If so there is your problem. The tower or the cellphone is sending a ping I forget the order. "hello I'm right here".

Cable box is unplugged. Waiting for my next buzzing sound torture sound effect to occur at 12:43:38 seconds.

ha ha, jokes on me. It's a cell phone buzzing that was near the base of the speakers.

Conspiracy SOLVED. I am an IDIOT!

the cell phone is same exact color as what it was laying on top of, and frankly, what a dumb sound to make because I missed a call. It doesn't vibrate, it just sort of makes a drilling sound. Somehow the vibration was being slightly amplified through the speaker because when I raised the sound on my computer, I could hear the buzzing coming out of the speaker.

So, that makes me an accidental idiot. (I'm looking for any excuse to upgrade my status).

Is your cellphone near the computer? If so there is your problem. The tower or the cellphone is sending a ping I forget the order. "hello I'm right here".

I didn't see you answer until after my last post. The sound was the cell phone buzzing because I had missed a call. But as I explained above, the vibration was being amplifed by the speaker itself. Thanks for attempting to help the helpless.

Cable box is unplugged. Waiting for my next buzzing sound torture sound effect to occur at 12:43:38 seconds.

ha ha, jokes on me. It's a cell phone buzzing that was near the base of the speakers.

Conspiracy SOLVED. I am an IDIOT!

No, you're not an idiot. My wife put her cell on top of the cable box once, and I couldn't understand why the picture kept pixilating.

After 10 minutes on the phone with the help line, after their sending signal after signal to the box, they told me to try unplugging the power supply behind the box. When I moved her phone to do this, the problem stopped.

I felt like a real goof when I told them the problem was solved.

They comforted me by telling me that they heard this all the time.

I thought you were married to that bald chick from Star Trek 1?

Why in the world would I want THAT?

My wife looks more like Kes from Voyager, but with dark red hair instead of blonde.
Kes.jpg

Forum List

Back