I just spent $98 on vaccinations

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
For my horses, dog and cats.

Gave all the shots....then realized my cats only got feline leukemia vaccinations and my horses vaccination didn't include west nile, which was the PRIMARY thing I wanted to vaccinate them against.

Shit shit shit shit shit.

Now I have to go find flavovirus vaccinations and jab my horses again (and they DON'T like it) and vaccinate my fucking cats for distemper.

If you've ever vaccinated a cat, it's a pain in the ass. Their skin is like rawhide. Luckily, they don't seem to feel it.

Dog's good, though. I managed to get her for everything, which is great because she's going on vacation with us in a couple of weeks.

But the west nile thing is a bitch. I was going to order it online, and while the vaccination price was a little less that what it costs in the feed stores (when you can find it) to have it shipped refrigerated costs $30. Screw that. I'll travel across the state if that's what it takes before I'll spend $30 to put an ice pack in with my shots.

And I'm not innoculating them in the neck next time. I quit doing that years ago when I found that the hip shot doesn't bother them and isn't half as dangerous (to me). But this last time, I decided, hey, I'll do it the correct way. I had to stick them both twice doing it in the neck. The Arab threw up her head and dislodged the needle from the muscle mass, so it was subcutaneous, so I got to pull that out and do it again, and Purdy just plain flipped out so the needle moved and was just sort of dangling, so I got to stick her again, too. Whereupon she flipped again, and I just slammed that shit in, I didn't draw back or anything, and prayed we weren't in a vein. She's alive today, so thankfully, I wasn't.

I get to do it to the kittens again in a few weeks and they don't care, but I hate trying to get that needle in..you hold the fold of skin at their neck and exert mega pressure to get it in, and I'm always afraid it's going to poke through and vaccinate me for feline leukemia or whatever the hell I'm shooting them with.

But crap it pisses me off that I didn't get the kitties' distemper or west nile for the horses. The two things that are most likely to kill them.

Except for parvo...I think cats get parvo. The dog's okay for it..I vaccinated her for it, and she's older and been vaccinated for it before, so is really unlikely to pick it up. Though you never know when you're traveling what they can pick up.

You may feel pity for me now. I'm pitying myself, but I don't feel it's adequate.

I just spent $100.00 at the vets for two cats,, 3 vaccines each. but that's good for three years,, I'm not sure my state allows me to do it for myself,, you have to have a "certificate" of vaccination from a vet to meet requirements I think..

• Banned
You can vaccinate for everything but rabies in most states, as far as I understand. I can't give a rabies shot here, at least not last I checked.

But I can give everything else as far as vaccines go.

Granny says, "Dat's right - get yer kids vaccinated...
:eusa_clap:
Vaccinations Save Millions of Lives Every Year
April 23, 2014 — The World Health Organization says effective vaccines against killer diseases are averting between two to three million deaths every year.The agency is kicking off its yearly World Immunization Week campaign by urging children and adults to get immunized against deadly and debilitating diseases.
When the WHO began its Expanded Program on Immunization in 1974, only five percent of the world’s children were being immunized against killer diseases, such as diphtheria, measles, and pertussis. Forty years later, more than 80 percent are receiving life-saving vaccinations. In addition, WHO noted an increasing number of people in all age groups are being immunized against preventable diseases.

WHO Director of Immunization, Vaccines, and Biologicals Jean-Marie Okwo-Bele said the impact of vaccines is comparable to that of providing safe water to hundreds of millions of people around the world. “But importantly, we can do much better. We can save an additional 1.2 million deaths every year if some of the newest vaccines, for instance against meningitis, pneumonia and diarrhea are used in the countries where these inevitable deaths still occur.

D1A8DA21-4BCB-4563-B6E8-6F592123135B_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy6_cw0.jpg

A woman gets a vaccination from a nurse in Mexico City

We could also prevent 250,000 deaths due to cervical cancer in the near future if the vaccines against human papillomavirus is extended to all girls today," explained Okwo-Bele. Dr. Okwo-Bele said polio is on the verge of eradication. He said measles in Africa has gone down dramatically and the disease is being eliminated in the Americas and in the Pacific region, including China. He said the meningitis vaccine has been an outstanding success in saving lives in Africa. According to the doctor, Angola and Congo Brazzaville are launching the introduction of roto-virus vaccines into their national health systems to coincide with World Immunization Week.

While these and other successes are gratifying, the World Health Organization said work must continue to reach the world’s children who are not being immunized with basic vaccines. WHO Immunization, Vaccines, and Biologicals Technical Officer Tracey Goodman told VOA there is a danger of people becoming complacent. “The unfortunate thing about complacency is that the number of susceptibles who resist or reject vaccination will accumulate and the disease will come back as you are seeing in the United States, measles and pertussis-whooping cough, which is a terrible disease,” she said. Goodman said vaccine-preventable diseases come back if a sufficient number of people in a community are not immunized. She called this an avoidable tragedy.

Vaccinations Save Millions of Lives Every Year

For my horses, dog and cats.

Gave all the shots....then realized my cats only got feline leukemia vaccinations and my horses vaccination didn't include west nile, which was the PRIMARY thing I wanted to vaccinate them against.

Shit shit shit shit shit.

Now I have to go find flavovirus vaccinations and jab my horses again (and they DON'T like it) and vaccinate my fucking cats for distemper.

If you've ever vaccinated a cat, it's a pain in the ass. Their skin is like rawhide. Luckily, they don't seem to feel it.

Dog's good, though. I managed to get her for everything, which is great because she's going on vacation with us in a couple of weeks.

But the west nile thing is a bitch. I was going to order it online, and while the vaccination price was a little less that what it costs in the feed stores (when you can find it) to have it shipped refrigerated costs $30. Screw that. I'll travel across the state if that's what it takes before I'll spend $30 to put an ice pack in with my shots.

And I'm not innoculating them in the neck next time. I quit doing that years ago when I found that the hip shot doesn't bother them and isn't half as dangerous (to me). But this last time, I decided, hey, I'll do it the correct way. I had to stick them both twice doing it in the neck. The Arab threw up her head and dislodged the needle from the muscle mass, so it was subcutaneous, so I got to pull that out and do it again, and Purdy just plain flipped out so the needle moved and was just sort of dangling, so I got to stick her again, too. Whereupon she flipped again, and I just slammed that shit in, I didn't draw back or anything, and prayed we weren't in a vein. She's alive today, so thankfully, I wasn't.

I get to do it to the kittens again in a few weeks and they don't care, but I hate trying to get that needle in..you hold the fold of skin at their neck and exert mega pressure to get it in, and I'm always afraid it's going to poke through and vaccinate me for feline leukemia or whatever the hell I'm shooting them with.

But crap it pisses me off that I didn't get the kitties' distemper or west nile for the horses. The two things that are most likely to kill them.

Except for parvo...I think cats get parvo. The dog's okay for it..I vaccinated her for it, and she's older and been vaccinated for it before, so is really unlikely to pick it up. Though you never know when you're traveling what they can pick up.

You may feel pity for me now. I'm pitying myself, but I don't feel it's adequate.

My dogs are good to go and I'll be getting my horses shots next weekend.

West nile down here is almost thirty bucks so I'll be spending around sixty for those shots.

I've been giving my horse shots for years. Sure beats paying the vet to come out.

i run all 6 thru the vet at one time...she gives me a discount....esp if i wait till the summer people are gone..the bill hurts....between 750 and 900...depending on any problems etc and this is with me doing all the stuff i can do...i use to give the shot but now its so hard to get the rabies or they have made it illegal here...you can do low cost clinics or go to the humane

Vets are becoming a big scam. Funny, when I was a kid we always had dogs and never had them vaccinated for anything, and we never lost one to heart worm or anything else but getting hit by a car.

Vets are becoming a big scam. Funny, when I was a kid we always had dogs and never had them vaccinated for anything, and we never lost one to heart worm or anything else but getting hit by a car.

That's just bad luck (the car thing)

We kept our pets vaccinated when I was a kid and never had issues. But it cost an arm and a leg. I think general exercise and avoiding taking them to kennels is the best method to stay healthy. SOME treatments are necessary (rabies, etc) but to each his own.

Heart worm is real and always fatal.

If there are mosquitoes where you live, there is heart worm disease. You may not have KNOWN about it, but it is real.

Heartworm preventative for dogs is given orally, but animals should always be vaccinated.
Rabies, leptospirosis, parvo, etc...are also real and can kill an animal very painfully.

People who own animals have a moral obligation to keep them healthy. It has nothing to do with vets being a "scam"...

Call around and see if you can find a more rural clinic--they are usually a lot cheaper than the shopping center vets. We have one that just comes to the house for routine stuff if you schedule it. He did a three hour surgery on one of my dogs to remove a complicated soft tumor, kept it for 3 days afterwards, and had 4 follow up visits, one of which was restitching an incision about 10-12 inches long when she got at her stitches 4 years ago and it only cost me $600.00

Forum List

Back