...I just realized Lincoln was the Hitler of the 19th century.

Liberty

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2009
colorado
They both committed ridiculous and pointless genocide...maybe no where near in similar methods or to the same ends, but they both killed a large enough amount of people that should taint their legacy as villainous in my opinion.

Nah. A genocide is a systematic attempt to eradicate an entire group of people; Lincoln was after territory. Imperialistic, yes, but not genocidal or even in the same ballpark as the Holocaust.

Certainly not in the same league as Hitler, but he had no problem wiping out the southern population.

Certainly not in the same league as Hitler, but he had no problem wiping out the southern population.

Not caring and deliberately attempting to destroy are two very different things, though I doubt he was truly guilty of either. I'd say that you more aptly described Sherman.

Not caring and deliberately attempting to destroy are two very different things, though I doubt he was truly guilty of either. I'd say that you more aptly described Sherman.

Sherman and Sheridan certainly wanted to wipe out the southern population, but Lincoln gave Sherman the "thanks of the nation" for his work in the south. Hard to say he didn't want to wipe out the south when he thanked Sherman for doing exactly that.

He just freed the slaves (which was America's worst injustice in its short history), kept the nation together and got the 13th and 14th amendments passed. Yea he is a real bad guy.

Where do you people come from? Mars?

He just freed the slaves (which was America's worst injustice in its short history), kept the nation together and got the 13th and 14th amendments passed. Yea he is a real bad guy.

Lincoln didn't free any slaves.

Sherman and Sheridan certainly wanted to wipe out the southern population, but Lincoln gave Sherman the "thanks of the nation" for his work in the south. Hard to say he didn't want to wipe out the south when he thanked Sherman for doing exactly that.
I think he took a pragmatic, "ends justify means" approach to ending the war. I don't like Lincoln, but I'm not convinced that he harbored that kind of enmity toward Southern people in general.

the southern population shouldn't have waged war against their country.

and hitler didn't target anyone committing treason.

might be one of the more absurd analogies i've seen.

I guess this is the result of the education system in our country today. The south did not wage war against the north, they seceded from the north, then the north waged war to force them to back.

I think he took a pragmatic, "ends justify means" approach to ending the war. I don't like Lincoln, but I'm not convinced that he harbored that kind of enmity toward Southern people in general.

I think he harbored enmity against anyone that refused to pay its tribute to his government, and had no problem having them murdered.

Lincoln declared an end to slavery in a nation that he did not control. He did so in an attempt to undermine the Southern economy, not because of any moral commitment to combating racial injustice. That much becomes obvious when you recall that the Emancipation Proclamation did not affect the status of slaves in states that hadn't seceded - Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri.

Lincoln declared an end to slavery in a nation that he did not control. He did so in an attempt to undermine the Southern economy, not because of any moral commitment toward ending slavery on his part. That much becomes obvious when you recall that the Emancipation Proclamation did not affect the status of slaves in states that hadn't seceded - Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri.

Not to mention the original thirteenth amendment, which was supported by Lincoln, would have made slavery a permanent institution.

I think he harbored enmity against anyone that refused to pay its tribute to his government, and had no problem having them murdered.

If you say so.

the southern population shouldn't have waged war against their country.

They didn't. The Confederate states were well within their rights to secede and demand that the US leave their territory.

Is that your Islamic thinking in work? States have no ABILITY to secede from the Union. Once your in your in!

I can't find that provision in the Constitution, perhaps you can point it out to us?

War is hell! People, including civilians die. Its a fact of life. Too much Ron Paul on the brain, huh KKK? I would say the Civil War was our must just war!

If you say so.

Condoning the murder of innocent civilians on any level means you must harbor some amount of enmity against them.

Forum List

Back