I just quit my day job today

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
To pursue a business I started back in December, full time. This is the 2nd business I've started in a little over a year. The first one really isn't mine anymore since it was started with my now ex, and I'm only entitled to a profit percentage. That one is a preschool, and is just now starting to become slightly profitable.

I've been working 7 days a week, sometimes 16 hour days (barely seeing much of my son) to juggle my day job and my business and the business is getting to the point where I can't take on anymore work and still have a day job. I had to choose between keeping my day job which is guaranteed income year round and just do side work to supplement, or take the chance and quit and pursue the business full time and deal with the slow money periods. The caveat is that my boss did no take me quitting very well. In fact, he was pissed off at me because I pretty much fucked him. I'll never be able to work for him again. I couldn't give him 2 weeks notice because a huge project just fell in my lap the other day that if I would have given the boss 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish the project and would have definitely left a bad taste in a big client's mouth. The way I see it is, business is business. He'll be ok.

I'm kind of scared but pretty excited about it. I've saved up enough to make it work. It's going to be nice to have my life back again.

Pray for me :lol:

I wish you every success, working for yourself can be kind of scary, but it's awesome.

However, you really should treat your boss the way you would want to be treated. So, you really should have given him some notice. You dropped him in the shit.... business may be business but what goes around, comes around.

I wish you every success, working for yourself can be kind of scary, but it's awesome.

However, you really should treat your boss the way you would want to be treated. So, you really should have given him some notice. You dropped him in the shit.... business may be business but what goes around, comes around.

Trust me, I would totally have given him notice if I could. I would have had to turn down $10k made in the next month, as well as the future prospects of what that project could bring me, to earn only 1/4 that as well as lose out on those prospects.

I don't feel good about it by any means, but the opportunity came out of nowhere last minute and I had to make the best choice for ME.

In this line of work right now, he'll place an ad in the Sunday paper and have 100 callers to choose from for Monday morning.

Trust me, I would totally have given him notice if I could. I would have had to turn down $10k made in the next month, as well as the future prospects of what that project could bring me, to earn only 1/4 that as well as lose out on those prospects.

I don't feel good about it by any means, but the opportunity came out of nowhere last minute and I had to make the best choice for ME.

In this line of work right now, he'll place an ad in the Sunday paper and have 100 callers to choose from for Monday morning.

Is there anyone you could recommend to him to replace you? Maybe save him the time, expense and effort of finding someone? As a gesture of goodwill, perhaps?

Is there anyone you could recommend to him to replace you? Maybe save him the time, expense and effort of finding someone? As a gesture of goodwill, perhaps?

There's a couple, maybe. But this guy is tough to work for. Unless you're really good at what you do, he'll either fire you quick or you'll just WANT to quit. I'm not quite sure the ones I have in mind would fit with him.

He's a strange dude to say the least. It took me a couple months to earn his respect, and even still he doesn't truly trust anyone that works for him.

But I guess it would at least be the thought that counts.

Oh, did I mention this business is a partnership and my partner also worked at the day job with me, and also quit today as well? :redface:

good luck paulie...we all make hard decisions....and sometimes you have to slam a door shut and commit to the open door....good luck...dont worry about what is done...concentrate on the future

Oh, did I mention this business is a partnership and my partner also worked at the day job with me, and also quit today as well? :redface:

o that is bad...looks like yall are really trying to fuck the old boss.....did he give notice

Nah read my other posts bones. It's not about TRYING to fuck him at all. It's about pretty much having no other choice. 2 weeks notice would have literally defeated the purpose of quitting my day job to begin with. We've got an entire realty agency in our pocket, the biggest one in a major shore town here in south Jersey, and if we'd have turned down this project it would have reverberated throughout the agency and not been good for us at all.

o that is bad...looks like yall are really trying to fuck the old boss.....did he give notice

Nah read my other posts bones. It's not about TRYING to fuck him at all. It's about pretty much having no other choice. 2 weeks notice would have literally defeated the purpose of quitting my day job to begin with. We've got an entire realty agency in our pocket, the biggest one in a major shore town here in south Jersey, and if we'd have turned down this project it would have reverberated throughout the agency and not been good for us at all.

i understand what you are saying and yes i read your other posts but 2 employees walking out with no notice to start a business is gonna leave a long remembered event.

i understand what you are saying and yes i read your other posts but 2 employees walking out with no notice to start a business is gonna leave a long remembered event.

I know. I wish it could have been an easier situation. The crazy part about it is that we weren't really ready to quit yet anyway, until this big project came up. I wish they'd have given us a better time frame on it, but they didn't and it is what it is.

I've done a lot worse things in my life than not give quitting notice to a boss. I can live with myself.

The customers we do work for have more money than God. We can literally name our price and they sign without a question. They own beautiful homes on the bay and the ocean that I could never even dream of owning in my lifetime and they only use them 2 or 3 months out of the year.

I consider it my own form of wealth redistribution.

To pursue a business I started back in December, full time. This is the 2nd business I've started in a little over a year. The first one really isn't mine anymore since it was started with my now ex, and I'm only entitled to a profit percentage. That one is a preschool, and is just now starting to become slightly profitable.

I've been working 7 days a week, sometimes 16 hour days (barely seeing much of my son) to juggle my day job and my business and the business is getting to the point where I can't take on anymore work and still have a day job. I had to choose between keeping my day job which is guaranteed income year round and just do side work to supplement, or take the chance and quit and pursue the business full time and deal with the slow money periods. The caveat is that my boss did no take me quitting very well. In fact, he was pissed off at me because I pretty much fucked him. I'll never be able to work for him again. I couldn't give him 2 weeks notice because a huge project just fell in my lap the other day that if I would have given the boss 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish the project and would have definitely left a bad taste in a big client's mouth. The way I see it is, business is business. He'll be ok.

I'm kind of scared but pretty excited about it. I've saved up enough to make it work. It's going to be nice to have my life back again.

Pray for me :lol:

I will pray for you. I wish you all the best of luck and success, and I hope one day you will succeed in becoming an "evil rich guy." :lol:

The customers we do work for have more money than God. We can literally name our price and they sign without a question. They own beautiful homes on the bay and the ocean that I could never even dream of owning in my lifetime and they only use them 2 or 3 months out of the year.

I consider it my own form of wealth redistribution.

Your form of 'wealth redistribution' is the conservative mantra. We call it 'work'. :lol:

If I was you, as a gesture, I'd recommend a couple of friends to him. Whether it works out or not is of no consequence. Other than that, you owe him nothing - you worked, he paid you. That is the contract. He would just as easily have got rid of you as you did to walk away.

But, I always think it's best to make an effort and show willing.... so perhaps recommenting those friends will help him out.

Last edited:
I think you are brave for taking the chance and going with your business, best of luck with it. I commend your drive and ambition to start your own business.

Forum List

Back