I just paid $80 for the Government to give me the right to carry my own Handgun

See, this is what I don't get.

I never said one thing about wanting guns to be outlawed. I support the second amendment, yet again, there you go with your assumptions!

I support the governments right to have a person be trained to use a gun, and to be registered to have one. I don't get why you don't.

Should the government ever decide to take away our guns they will know exactly who has them and where to find them.

So you don't think guns should be registered either?

Absolutely not. They aren't in Virginia and they shouldn't be anywhere else either. Register your gun right after you register your toaster.

I know I'm going to take some heat for this from some, but I'm not convinced that this is a Second Amendment issue. I think the Second Amendment was meant to ensure the presence of military style long guns in private homes, not handguns in public.

There is some evidence to suggest that hand guns in the possession of law-abiding citizens can raise the level of public safety, but I'm just not sure that concealed carry is a Constitutional right. Let the flaming begin :lol:

Well, I think the primary purpose of the 2nd Amendment is as a check on government by the people. If people hold the means to effectuate their "ultimate right to revolution," then the government will take the possibility more seriously when they are at their work. If it is an inchoate fantasy, then they might more easily trample upon them.

Having said that, I think especially in cities it would be far more dangerous if only "long guns" were allowed. For instance, the "long gun" I own is a 7.62mm x 54mm NATO round firing semi-auto. Its maximum effective range is past 1100 meters (that's like 1200 yards or 12 football fields.) If I go shooting that thing in a city for "home defense" imagine how many people I'm endangering for want of a pistol that won't shoot 50 meters. Worse, my long gun will easily shoot through walls (plural). While a pistol may get through one wall, it probably will not make it through the second. I think as a matter of practicality we need to have the option of having the right tool for each job.

Forum List

Back