I just might git rid of the last Windows computer in the house.

So here I am sitting here doing some work, emailing a client...I have open office spreadsheet open doing an estimate for someone...and why the heck is this laptop so goddang slow right now?
As i am sitting here WORKING...and it becomes almost unusable. i launch the Task Manager...100% disk usage and 96% memory and whut?...90% network??
What the hell is going on...what program is using this much data...none that I can see...how is this possible,,,none of the processes are sending/receiving....but wait....for a few seconds I see "Windows update"... FML.
Son of a bitch. Stick this system up M$'s ass.
Microsoft: "We are here!, Get out of the way!...Microsoft coming through!...anything else you are doing is irrelevant and subservient to our access!!".

F*ck Microsoft.
Apple is just as bad.
How so?

I've owned several Macs since 1990, or so, including a G4 Powerbook that still works well, and I've never experinced the peoblems you guys are describing. My present Mac is also pretty much flawless in its performance.
Cool, you purchased a good ones just like I did with my PCs. Percentage wise Macs are just as reliable/unreliable as PCs it's just that PCs hold the vast majority of the market so you see more talk about PCs. Don't believe me just look up the market for refurbished Macs.

So here I am sitting here doing some work, emailing a client...I have open office spreadsheet open doing an estimate for someone...and why the heck is this laptop so goddang slow right now?
As i am sitting here WORKING...and it becomes almost unusable. i launch the Task Manager...100% disk usage and 96% memory and whut?...90% network??
What the hell is going on...what program is using this much data...none that I can see...how is this possible,,,none of the processes are sending/receiving....but wait....for a few seconds I see "Windows update"... FML.
Microsoft: "We are here!, Get out of the way!...Microsoft coming through!...anything else you are doing is irrelevant and subservient to our access!!".

F*ck Microsoft.
Apple is just as bad.
How so?

I've owned several Macs since 1990, or so, including a G4 Powerbook that still works well, and I've never experinced the peoblems you guys are describing. My present Mac is also pretty much flawless in its performance.
Cool, you purchased a good ones just like I did with my PCs. Percentage wise Macs are just as reliable/unreliable as PCs it's just that PCs hold the vast majority of the market so you see more talk about PCs. Don't believe me just look up the market for refurbished Macs.

I worked on MacOs 9's for years...they were terrible really. "System error" crashes almost as much as Windows blue screens. Both required Norton and MacTools to stay afloat.
The first good Windows OS was Windows 2000.
The first good Mac was OSX.
The first good Linux is highly arguable, but for me prolly Red Hat 7. All three were day in and day out reliable.

I worked on MacOs 9's for years...they were terrible really. "System error" crashes almost as much as Windows blue screens. Both required Norton and MacTools to stay afloat.
The first good Linux is highly arguable, but for me prolly Red Hat 7. All three were day in and day out reliable.
Yeah, all computers were pretty crappy back then. But at the time they were the best available, and we were happy to have them. I remember working on, I think it was, Mac's System 8.1 and having to do a lot of maintenance to keep the thing running well. Luckily, I enjoy troubleshooting problems.

But OSX changed all of that. Incredibly stable (in my experience). I’m now using OS 10.9.5 and it’s been bulletproof. Before that I used Tiger (OS 10.4, if I remember right), that was from about 2004, and it was extremely stable as well.
I have a 2004 PowerBook running Tiger and it still works well. Not bad for a thirteen year old laptop, eh?

I’d like to try Linux one of these days. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

In about 2002 I ran an office for a radio station. There were about 4 Windows boxes and I was forever getting the Blue Screen Of Death, and a message: “This program has performed an illegal action and will be shut down”. I’d have to reinstall drivers and all that crap. And it always seemed to happen when I was working on contracts, etc.

So I bought a basic iBook and router and was able to do all of the work on that little iBook. I never had another computer problem in that office. Lol..

Computers can be fun, but we all have our “war stories”.

`
`

Last year, my daughter built me a new desk top computer for Christmas. State of the art;

Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS Radeon R7 360 R7360-OC-2GD5 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

AMD Athlon X4 860K Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD860KXBJABOX Desktop Processor

HyperX FURY 2 ea - 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory

EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply

Windows 7 Professional

Excellent HD graphics and fast

Yeah, all computers were pretty crappy back then. But at the time they were the best available, and we were happy to have them. I remember working on, I think it was, Mac's System 8.1 and having to do a lot of maintenance to keep the thing running well. Luckily, I enjoy troubleshooting problems.

But OSX changed all of that. Incredibly stable (in my experience). I’m now using OS 10.9.5 and it’s been bulletproof. Before that I used Tiger (OS 10.4, if I remember right), that was from about 2004, and it was extremely stable as well.
I have a 2004 PowerBook running Tiger and it still works well. Not bad for a thirteen year old laptop, eh?

I’d like to try Linux one of these days. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it.

In about 2002 I ran an office for a radio station. There were about 4 Windows boxes and I was forever getting the Blue Screen Of Death, and a message: “This program has performed an illegal action and will be shut down”. I’d have to reinstall drivers and all that crap. And it always seemed to happen when I was working on contracts, etc.

So I bought a basic iBook and router and was able to do all of the work on that little iBook. I never had another computer problem in that office. Lol..

Computers can be fun, but we all have our “war stories”.

If you enjoy fixing things, then you enjoy "toying around" with things :)
And in that case you would very much like Linux. Linux is enormously customizable. There is a program called compiz where you can use 10,000's of user made themes as well as make your own. With a view add-ons added to it - yuo can make your computer look truly amazing.

F*ck Microsoft.
Take it back to Win 7 where you have full control back.

I wish I could, but I bought the laptop with Win10 on it...unless there is a way to back out to Win 7?
But alas...I think this is finally it. Just done with Windows.
Just install a Linux OS. Way better than windows.
Like me he uses Linux already on other computers and has for quite a long time. Besides, Linux isn't the end all, be all, it has it's weak points and strong points just like Windows and OS X.
WIndows for gaming, Linux for everything else. Seems to work pretty well.

And in that case you would very much like Linux. Linux is enormously customizable. There is a program called compiz where you can use 10,000's of user made themes as well as make your own. With a view add-ons added to it - yuo can make your computer look truly amazing.
I really appreciate your info about Linux. I understand its built on the same basic core as OSX and is very stable. That’s hugely important to me.

And yes, I love fixing things. I owned an electronics shop at one time and repaired just about anything. Then, while in direct sales I used FileMaker Pro to build databases, now use Panorama, and am teaching myself SQL to continue with database design. All for fun.

At the radio station I mentioned in my earlier post, the main office and studio used Windows boxes in the offices, and Linux in programming. Linux always worked and from what I understand was virtually problem free. So the station was always on the air.

The office, was the opposite. They were always having problems with the Windows machine and an IT guy had to practically move into the lobby, they had so many problems.

I was in a different city, but the office manager would often ask me to go home to work, so I could do some of their work on my little iBook (that they couldn’t do when the Winders boxes were down). So I would go home and handle commercials being sent to us, contracts, etc. Then I’d pass everything to the office when they were finally up and running again. Funny stuff. The little iBook was amazing.

Thanks again.

I really appreciate your info about Linux. I understand its built on the same basic core as OSX and is very stable. That’s hugely important to me.

And yes, I love fixing things. I owned an electronics shop at one time and repaired just about anything. Then, while in direct sales I used FileMaker Pro to build databases, now use Panorama, and am teaching myself SQL to continue with database design. All for fun.

At the radio station I mentioned in my earlier post, the main office and studio used Windows boxes in the offices, and Linux in programming. Linux always worked and from what I understand was virtually problem free. So the station was always on the air.

The office, was the opposite. They were always having problems with the Windows machine and an IT guy had to practically move into the lobby, they had so many problems.

I was in a different city, but the office manager would often ask me to go home to work, so I could do some of their work on my little iBook (that they couldn’t do when the Winders boxes were down). So I would go home and handle commercials being sent to us, contracts, etc. Then I’d pass everything to the office when they were finally up and running again. Funny stuff. The little iBook was amazing.

Thanks again.
In Europe, they have a choice of about 6 different operating systems you can choose from, when buying a new PC.

In Europe, they have a choice of about 6 different operating systems you can choose from, when buying a new PC.
That's great.

I'm glad I opened this thread, it's given me a lot to think about. I'm going to start learning about Linux so, in time, I'll be able to get it running alongside my Mac. Looking forward to it.

I'm going to see if I can run a copy of Linux on my Mac, alongside OS X. How cool would that be?

Hope we're not derailing this thread. But it appears iamwhatiseem may be going along the same track we're looking at.

Thanks all.

Thanks again.
Who told you that?

Thanks again.
Who told you that?
High-Performance Computing in Europe

Thanks again.
Who told you that?
High-Performance Computing in Europe
This has nothing to do with the consumer market. The computers are shipped with Windows 10. Very few come with Linux, FreeDOS or without OS.

Thanks again.
The top 3 Linux distributions are Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora, there a a hundred others but those are the most used. Currently I'm running Mint Cinnamon, it's the flagship of Mint but I also have fairly powerful computers.

F*ck Microsoft.
Take it back to Win 7 where you have full control back.

I wish I could, but I bought the laptop with Win10 on it...unless there is a way to back out to Win 7?
But alas...I think this is finally it. Just done with Windows.
Just install a Linux OS. Way better than windows.
Like me he uses Linux already on other computers and has for quite a long time. Besides, Linux isn't the end all, be all, it has it's weak points and strong points just like Windows and OS X.
WIndows for gaming, Linux for everything else. Seems to work pretty well.
That depends, certain applications for some types of work are better with Windows or Mac especially if you take certain work home and have to have it compatible with what's at work otherwise that's pretty much correct.

Mac's dramatically improved when they switched away from MacOs to a Unix platform. System crashes and "frozen finder" are now extinct. The only problem with Mac is the occasional applications locking up for no apparent reason. Doesn't happen often, but enough to be annoying.
Windows 7 was certainly a stable OS. Windows 7 Pro is prolly their best OS ever with Win 2000 not too far behind. I will not include Windows 10 as a serious OS. It is every bit as much of a data collection portal and future advertisement medium as it is an OS. Afterall this is the first time in PC history where you can buy a brand new oem computer with an OS that is TWO OS versions behind, and plenty of people do it.
Linux is basically fully mature now. With Mint and Ubuntu especially - everything just works. Easily and every time. And the stability of *nix is unmatched.
For me the best OS is Linux Mint. OSX would be the best but it is still proprietary and way too expensive. Windows 10 is the worst. I say that because it is essentially not your computer. You belong to M$. They tap into your computer anytime they want, download any data they want - legally. They make changes to "your" computer without your knowledge, make their programs undeletable and unstoppable. And for those reasons, in my book, Windows 10 is the worst operating system.

Forum List

Back