I Just Joined the NRA

I have put this off for years. I finally did it online about 10 minutes ago. 60 bucks for a two-year membership. I figure with Obama in office and the Democrats on the verge of taking the Senate, it's about time.

I probably have fewer guns (one Glock, one .22) than 99 percent of the NRA membership, but it's time. The NRA is one of the few effective political causes on the right going.

I'm a life time member, as is my father and my son, not to mention aunts and uncles.

Congratulations WJ, you just joined a damn good organization.

Last edited:
I think guns make the best heirlooms. That being said, I will never join the NRA until it becomes more than the second amendment branch of the republican party. While I do wish dems gave as much broad interpretation of the 2nd as they do the 1st I am not interested in providing vicarious support for the GOP.

Shogun,

This is another myth invented by the anti-gun lobby.
"True, Democrats no longer fight on Second Amendment issues the way they once did. They have toned down the gun control arguments that cost the party dearly in 2000 and 2004, as they appeal to rural and Western voters. During the 2006 election, more Democratic candidates for Congress were endorsed by the NRA than in any other year in recent memory."

The NRA has endorsed thousand of Democrats in including:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada

Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico

Gov. Howard Dean of Vermont

And my own US Representitive, Democrat Ike Skelton is endorsed by the NRA:
Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton A Rare Breed.

The only Democrat representing a rural district in Missouri`s congressional delegation, Skelton is one of a dwindling band of rural Democrats in Congress. Skelton pointed to the gun issue as an example of why the Democrats have problems in rural areas. In 1994, the House narrowly voted to ban assault-style weapons. "Some of our southern Democrats voted for that silly thing," Skelton said. "I wouldn`t touch it with a 10-foot pole. They voted for it, and they got defeated."

http://www.nraila.org/News/Read/InTheNews.aspx?id=2526

He has had my support in every election.

Just google "NRA endorses democrat" and you can see for yourself that this myth is busted.

MythBusted.gif

.​

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with owning guns...the only problems are a) who holds them b) are they trained well enough c) what is it being used for

a) Should serial killers, paedophiles, and gangsters have the right to own guns...even though it is obvious they could use the guns to help them commit more crime.

b) Should someone that is medically proven to be a terrible shot and a danger to himself and others be able to own a gun. Meaning should people with some severe physical injury, mental condition or poor hand eye co-ordination (obviously doesn't apply to the blind) own a gun.

c) Is the gun being used for something illegal or something legal? Because if you are illegally hunting, shooting people dead or mentally insane only removing your gun (and not just handing out fines) would stop you.

Last edited:
My comments in dark red.

There is nothing wrong with owning guns...the only problems are a) who holds them b) are they trained well enough c) what is it being used for

a) Should serial killers, paedophiles, and gangsters have the right to own guns...even though it is obvious they could use the guns to help them commit more crime.

Convicted serial killers, paedophiles and gangsters are already restricted from owning any firearm.

b) Should someone that is medically proven to be a terrible shot and a danger to himself and others be able to own a gun. Meaning should people with some severe physical injury, mental condition or poor hand eye co-ordination (obviously doesn't apply to the blind) own a gun.

You would be in danger of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act.

c) Is the gun being used for something illegal or something legal? Because if you are illegally hunting, shooting people dead or mentally insane only removing your gun (and not just handing out fines) would stop you.

I'm pretty sure that they don't just "hand out fines" for shooting people dead. Being convicted of a felony bars possesion of a firearm for life.

Again, you cannot infringe a citizens rights based on what they might do.

Illegal hunting?? I think your reaching. I have never heard illegal hunting used as a justification for restricting the second amendment.

As for mental illness, it is already illegal for persons of unsound mind to own a firearm almost every state.
And it is against federal law for any persons with a mental illness to own a firearm.
18 U.S.C.S. 922 (g)(4)
It shall be unlawful for any person –
(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a
mental institution, to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting interstate commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Most white men todaystock up on guns and ammo as a way of DENYING their racial feelings. The beautiful thing is when this activity COMPLEMENTS racial feelings!

That's a ridiculous assertion. Only racist stock up on ammo over racial feeling. The rest are stocking up out of fear of an out of control government. It's absurd.

I think the NRA cause is just; however, they use the same fearmongering tactics as the gun contol idiots and inundate your mailbox with pleas for more contributions for this or that as you will soon see. For that reason alone I let my membership lapse.

Twice in one week Gunny I totally agree with you. Interesting:clap2:

Forum List

Back