I just heard the ROE are set to change in DAYS.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AllieBaba, Jul 5, 2010.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Why haven't I heard anything about this until now? Is it because I haven't been paying attention or was it not considered important enough to report?

I know that Paris Hilton was arrested for drug possession, but then released because the stuff belonged to her "friend". But I had no idea we were so close to finally addressing the huge issues with the rules of engagement in the middle east.

Does anyone else know anything about this?

2. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Petraeus faces decision on 'rules of engagement' in Afghanistan - San Jose Mercury News

3. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    Petraeus Vows No Change In Rules Of Engagement In Afghanistan - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty 2010

4. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    BBC News - War 'rules of engagement' to be reviewed

5. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    I've heard of it the past few days.

6. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Petraeus Urged to Change Afghan War Rules
    - Petraeus: 'We Are in This to Win' <FOX NEWS

[SNIP]

"
    Sen. Joe Lieberman on Sunday urged Gen. David Petraeus to change the rules of engagement "as soon as possible" for U.S. troops in Afghanistan, saying the strict policy has "hurt morale" among American military.

The Connecticut independent senator, speaking from Kabul on "Fox News Sunday," said the incoming commander told him he was "committed" to reviewing the rules. Those rules, put in place by outgoing Gen. Stanley McChrystal, are classified but generally aim to limit civilian casualties by prohibiting troops from firing unless they're shot at -- or from launching bomb or artillery attacks when civilians are near the target.

Lieberman acknowledged that civilian casualties damage the counterinsurgency campaign U.S.-led troops are trying to wage, but said the policy has also put American troops in harm's way.

"Ultimately, we've got to be concerned about the safety of our American troops here," Lieberman said. He said he's heard stories about troops having to wait too long to get air support when under fire. "We can't let that happen."

[/SNIP]

7. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    What a suck [ROE] way to fight a war. If we are going to fight, let us fight to the death or get the hell out....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Indeed. That's what happens when politicians get involved. The conflict soon becomes a target of political correctness...and when that becomes the order of the day? We're doomed to failure.

And I dare say that's what the Liberal apologists want. Korea and Viet Nam are two glaring examples.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    Nonsense. The ROE exists for tactical reasons and not to be "nice". Furthermore, General Petreaus has always been an advocate of the ROE. You can search out his comments about the matter. He recognizes that "free fire zones" in Viet Nam greatly facilitated the Viet Cong by breeding the insurgency.

In Afghanistan, the problem is finding the enemy. Not engaging them once you find them. The ROE exists to keep soldiers from being too trigger happy with the populace.

Like it or not, COIN requires soldiers to assume more risk then they would like for the overall mission.

Did you guys have no clue what we were getting into when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan.

10. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,379
    Let's fight to the death of the bad guys. Not our guys please. We have sacrificed far too many of our guys trying to be accommodating with our ROE and I'm getting damn tired of that. The ONLY way to fight a war is via overwhelming force and bludgeoning the enemy into total submission. Yes the innocent get hurt in war, but why not accept that, get it done, instead of dribbling out the hurt over years and ultimately racking up more casualities and misery than we would do the quicker more absolute way?

Every time we have used overwhelming force and defeated our enemy into unconditional surrender, the enemy wound up being our friend. Almost every time that we've pulled our punches and stopped short of bludgeoning our enemies into submission, our enemies have remained our enemies.