I just got accepted for a government job. Ah, such better employment than the private sector

The benefits are killer in comparison to a typical full time job in the private sector You would be hard pressed to find one as good.

See jobs like this are common overseas. It's simple really: if you work full time, you should get great benefits.
Congratulations

I spent 33 years in DOD
It was a very rewarding career

The benefits are killer in comparison to a typical full time job in the private sector You would be hard pressed to find one as good.

See jobs like this are common overseas. It's simple really: if you work full time, you should get great benefits.

You basically just have to show up and get paid for it...
Yup government jobs are great.
Have fun...
I've worked in 3 government jobs, one federal, one state, one county. None were that great. The benefits were good, but the pay was lousy, and the chance for advancement was next to nothing which is why I only worked in each of them less than 2 years..
Yep. I know people that work for the government that haven't gotten a raise in two/three years.

Yep. I know people that work for the government that haven't gotten a raise in two/three years.
Lots of people in the private sector lost jobs, maybe found low end work, don't have the benefits, retirement or security.
And government employees have to rely on government funding and deal with constant changes in management that effect productivity and the work environment. Think... Activists with a political agenda.

You basically just have to show up and get paid for it...
Yup government jobs are great.
Have fun...
I've worked in 3 government jobs, one federal, one state, one county. None were that great. The benefits were good, but the pay was lousy, and the chance for advancement was next to nothing which is why I only worked in each of them less than 2 years..
Just like in the private sector, it depends on the job. Most government jobs follow a rigid salary scale with a 4 or 5% increase a year till you reach the top of the scale. Then the only way you get a raise is a cost of living increase, a promotion or transfer. Federal government gives you the most opportunities because of it's size. Good jobs working for the federal government are not easy to come by. Although the size of government has grown rapidly, the number of government workers have not. More and more the government is becoming dependent on contractors or consultants.

Forum List

Back