I Just Finished Reinstalling Windows On My Home Desktop: Ask Me Anything

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Before you Windows haters insult me I guess I should give you some specifics:

Machine is a Wal-Mart a705w from 2004.
Windows XP reinstalled from self made recovery disks.
Installed aftermarket PCI video card. PCI-E doesn't run on this machine.
Bumped up RAM to 756 mb. I think 1 Gig is the most this sucker can handle.
500 GB external HD used for storing all sorts of shit. Mostly airplane related stuff and movies as well as all the other stuff working couples accumulate.

I use Comodo(edit) free Firewall and Anti-Virus as well as Open Office. "Google" em' and give em' a try. I highly recommend them.

Why did you have to reinstall?
It's my experience that Windows slows down as I install and uninstall more and more programs on my P.C. Reinstalling Windows speeds up my system to as good as new and I usually do it every 6 months but it's been at least a year since I last did it.
Winblows sucks! Why don't you install Ubuntu instead or buy an Apple. Apples rock!
I tried to install Ubuntu in the computer in my garage and it never worked. Even with a lot of help from KittenKoder I still couldn't get it running right.
Apples are more expensive than P.C.'s and less software is available for Macs'. It's that simple.

OK, ask away. Or flame away! I can handle it! :lol:

Last edited:
Try Linux Mint, probably the most user friendly Linux distro out there.

Barring that, download Glary Utilities or CCleaner for registry cleans and Auslogics Disk Defrag to keep you system clean and running smoothly.

Try Linux Mint, probably the most user friendly Linux distro out there. Barring that, download Glary Utilities or CCleaner for registry cleans and Auslogics Disk Defrag to keep you system clean and running smoothly.
I would answer these questions but they are not questions so, I will not answer them.

Try Linux Mint, probably the most user friendly Linux distro out there. Barring that, download Glary Utilities or CCleaner for registry cleans and Auslogics Disk Defrag to keep you system clean and running smoothly.
I would answer these questions but they are not questions so, I will not answer them.

Ever considered building a new computer?

500 GB external HD used for storing all sorts of shit. Mostly airplane related stuff and movies as well as all the other stuff working couples accumulate.

I use Commodo free Firewall and Anti-Virus as well as Open Office. "Google" em' and give em' a try. I highly recommend them.

It's my experience that Windows slows down as I install and uninstall more and more programs on my P.C. Reinstalling Windows speeds up my system to as good as new and I usually do it every 6 months but it's been at least a year since I last did it.
Winblows sucks! Why don't you install Ubuntu instead or buy an Apple. Apples rock!
I tried to install Ubuntu in the computer in my garage and it never worked. Even with a lot of help from KittenKoder I still couldn't get it running right.
Apples are more expensive than P.C.'s and less software is available for Macs'. It's that simple.

This post seems to indicate that your sex life includes lots of leather, whips, chains and "discipline."

I used to build my own but now it's cheaper just to upgrade a new one with memory and video cards.
This post seems to indicate that your sex life includes lots of leather, whips, chains and "discipline."
My sex life includes things you wouldn't understand, things you couldn't understand and most of all, things you shouldn't understand! :lol:

I use Commodo free Firewall and Anti-Virus as well as Open Office. "Google" em' and give em' a try. I highly recommend them.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCLuIwuVgQ]YouTube - Holiday Inn Express Commercial[/ame]

I used to build my own but now it's cheaper just to upgrade a new one with memory and video cards.
My sex life includes things you wouldn't understand, things you couldn't understand and most of all, things you shouldn't understand! :lol:
if you want to have one that you can really upgrade, its best to start from scratch and build your own
i do
just finished my latest a few weeks ago

AMD phenom II 965
ASUS RoG Crossfire III
4 gigs ram (most i could afford at this time)
ATI HD 5750 PCI-E
1.5 TB WD SATA II HD
thermaltake case

Last edited:
Why don't you have a Mac?
For the aforementioned reasons.
A Commodore? Dude, its not 1984 anymore...
Yeah I misspelled it didn't I? Comodo. :lol:
I actually did have a Commodore back in the day, a 128D. I even learned a bit of programing with it. But I bought I Commodore instead of an Atari for the same reason I didn't buy a Mac: More software was available for the Commodore.

The more things change...

if you want to have one that you can really upgrade, its best to start from scratch and build your own
i do

AMD phenom II 965
ASUS RoG Crossfire III
ATI HD 5750 PCI-E
1.5 TB WD SATA II HD
thermaltake case
Can I ask how much that set you back? I can buy a complete desktop and give it the prerequisite upgrades for 400-500 bucks total. Not cutting edge but a damn good machine.

May switch to solid state HD laptops from now on though. If they can break 100 gig HD's I'd do it.

i do

AMD phenom II 965
ASUS RoG Crossfire III
ATI HD 5750 PCI-E
1.5 TB WD SATA II HD
thermaltake case
Can I ask how much that set you back? I can buy a complete desktop and give it the prerequisite upgrades for 400-500 bucks total. Not cutting edge but a damn good machine.

May switch to solid state HD laptops from now on though. If they can break 100 gig HD's I'd do it.
i bought the parts over time
but it was about $500
you cant buy one already built like this for that much

of course i will get more RAM when i can afford it
i wanted to get a matched pair for 8 gigs, but it cost nearly 3 times what the 4 gigs cost per gig

but it was about $500
i wanted to get a matched pair for 8 gigs, but it cost nearly 3 times what the 4 gigs cost per gig
That's a damn good setup for 500 bucks! Where did you get the parts? I'm guessing NewEgg? I usually get memory from either Crucial or Kingston. When I was in So Cal I got all my electronic stuff from Frys'.

OK. Why Winbloze ?
Because you're an idiot ?
Murkinz love Windoze. I rest my case.

but it was about $500
That's a damn good setup for 500 bucks! Where did you get the parts? I'm guessing NewEgg? I usually get memory from either Crucial or Kingston. When I was in So Cal I got all my electronic stuff from Frys'.
watched for good deals on ebay
watched the retail prices and didnt go over when bidding

True but upgradability is limited.
I put my $ into the motherboard and went with a Phenom II x2 black edition chipset instead of the x4. My setup cost me about $450. I can eventually upgrade most of my computer without spending too much money or replacing the mobo right away. Good luck doing that with a retail machine.

True but upgradability is limited.
I put my $ into the motherboard and went with a Phenom II x2 black edition chipset instead of the x4. My setup cost me about $450. I can eventually upgrade most of my computer without spending too much money or replacing the mobo right away. Good luck doing that with a retail machine.
true, i spent more for the motherboard than i did for the CPU
i just got really lucky and got a great deal on the CPU
:D