I just checked the weather, its raining in NC. Pretty historic indeed lulz

Another brilliant statement by the weather channel hurricane expert just to remind us of the laws of physics "it's not about the rain, it's about where the rain goes after it falls".

People have already died from this storm. Millions are without power. The storm surge is already higher than Gloria. It's expected to be at least a foot higher.
The ground is saturated from the summer of continuous rain.
The storm is 1600 miles across and producing record rain.

This is going to be one great big mess.

Vinyl went out years ago......... Just saying......... :eusa_whistle:

Thirteen inches of rain have already fallen in the area -- however forecasters from the National Weather Service (NWS) expect two inches in Friday morning, up to 2.5 inches more on Saturday and perhaps a little more on Sunday before Irene finally fades away.

By that point, the old monthly record of rainfall, 13.07 inches recorded in September 1999, will be shattered by a wide margin.

Hurricane Irene: Philadelphia Area May Break Monthly Rainfall Record - International Business Times

Forecasters say that also made August 2011 the all-time wettest month on record, breaking the old record of 13.07 inches set in September 1999, mostly due to another storm — Hurricane Floyd.

But the month isn’t over yet — and forecasters note that Hurricane Irene can be counted on to add additional rainfall to push those totals even higher.

Even Before Hurricane Irene Arrives, Philadelphia Breaks Record For Most Rain In the Month Of August Since 1911 « CBS Philly

I hadn't realized that Irene was going to be falling on such saturated ground in PA.

They're calling for 4- 8 inches in Eastern PA.

Some minor flooding is to be expected under those circumstances.

Sounds to me like the E coast dodged a bullet this time.

Yea, all the fear mongering and 24/7 sensationalism was completely necessary. Most people are too stupid to prepare without being told too. Everyone did a great job manufacturing a crisis to rally around.

Warning the people is one thing, beating the fear drums to the bitter end is ridiculous.

I only wish I could neg you again, you POS.
New Jersey's Gov. Chris Christie said his state could have historic flooding and that officials on Sunday were turning their attention from the battered coastline to the state's rivers. Two people have died in flash floods.

"This is going to become a major if not record flooding event for us, not only on the coastline but inland,'' Gov. Chris Christie told WCBS, noting that the focus was now on the Raritan, Passaic, Ramapo and Delaware rivers. "We're going to be focusing our attention on that, trying to make sure anyone who needs to be evacuated is safely evacuated that are around those rivers, and making sure that we're dealing with those issues as quickly and effectively as we can.''

In wake of Irene, flooding fears along Eastern Seaboard

Yea, all the fear mongering and 24/7 sensationalism was completely necessary. Most people are too stupid to prepare without being told too. Everyone did a great job manufacturing a crisis to rally around.

Warning the people is one thing, beating the fear drums to the bitter end is ridiculous.

I only wish I could neg you again, you POS.
New Jersey's Gov. Chris Christie said his state could have historic flooding and that officials on Sunday were turning their attention from the battered coastline to the state's rivers. Two people have died in flash floods.

"This is going to become a major if not record flooding event for us, not only on the coastline but inland,'' Gov. Chris Christie told WCBS, noting that the focus was now on the Raritan, Passaic, Ramapo and Delaware rivers. "We're going to be focusing our attention on that, trying to make sure anyone who needs to be evacuated is safely evacuated that are around those rivers, and making sure that we're dealing with those issues as quickly and effectively as we can.''

In wake of Irene, flooding fears along Eastern Seaboard

Umad lulz

On topic, yea the media has gone nuts with this. Live feed from a boardwalk this morning had a lady describing how terrifying it was and there was a jogger on the beach behind her.

If the administration says it's 'Historic' it's really not that important, or it's a tragedy.

If the admin says it's "Unprecidented", it's happened before, many times.

If the admin says it's a crisis, it's not.

If the admin says it's necessary to help the nation, it's actually bad for us all.

It's more a reflection of the inflexibility of the news media and Shep on Fox basically admitted such this afternoon - "we're here because we were scheduled to be here". These events could easily be handled with 5 minute updates on the hour, and ramped up if anything noteworthy happens.

Last edited:
It's more a reflection of the inflexibility of the news media and Shep on Fox basically admitted such this afternoon - "we're here because we were scheduled to be here". These events could easily be handled with 5 minute updates on the hour, and ramped up if anything noteworthy happens.
That's the problem with the 24/7 news cycle. Most stories are not worth more than a 5 minute update. They need to broaden their views, all of them, every channel on what's going on in the world and not repeat everything 4 times an hour like a top 40 radio station required to play at the top 10 songs at least 2 times in three hours.

I'd like to see "News from History" and remind people what was happening on that date, last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 25 years ago. At least maybe we could snap people out of their 10 second attention span and 2 month memory.

Forum List

Back