I just bought a Cold Steel "Bushman" and boy is it impressive!

Oh my!

That's purty!

Hey, and I just ran across this.

Condor Rodan Knife w Leather Sheath CTK237 6HC New eBay

A Condor Rodan for $32.00 and free shipping???

I'd have gotten it instead of the Bushman.

I'm not dissatisfied with the Cold Steel Bushman but the Rodan regularly goes for about $40.00.

And for the extra $4 bucks I'd have gotten the Rodan instead of the one I bought.

Oh well.

I'm quite satisfied!

:D

I was moved by this testimonial review of the knife by a relieved Dad.

OldRedClay BOUGHT THIS FOR MY SON'S TOUR - APR 2, 2013
Bought this for my son when he went to A'stan. Wanted a backup for him that wouldn't fail when he needed it. Everyone from the First Sgt. on down tried to talk him out of it. It worked when he absolutely needed it, nuff said. Not sure what that is really worth, guess it would be anything I had to keep him safe. This was a bargain. In his words, combat tested and worked like a champ (still like my Gerber MK II though).​

I like the old style Buck skinner. I'd prefer that the steel wasn't quite as hard for a better ease of sharpening to edge holding balance, but it's strengths outweigh it weaknesses.

mJZq5x1rOpQSkalccChQkmg.jpg

The strengths are:

its handle with the easy clean non slip effect of the phenol material and the shape of the hilt which holds the hand safely and securely fore and aft if force has to be applied,

its old style sheath with the knife fully enclosed and the belt loop high on the sheath so it sits low on the belt and doesn't get hooked up moving in heavy bush even if it has shifted to one's side, this one's a major benefit

the heavy shoulder of the blade which adds power when needed to the hollow ground edge

its heavy shouldered drop point effect

nice knife CNM !! Iwas just looking at some Sheffield knives outa England , I like them all from folders to their Bowies .

Drop or spear point for me, the Bowie style always looks as though it'll puncture a gut the first chance it gets. I like the Buck's smallish 4" blade too, more than enough to take any animal to pieces without being unwieldy.

agree but a Sheffield Bowie is just kinda historical and collectible , just a nice knife with the file work and style.

check out their site in England , its pretty interesting . I woulda linked but couldn't for some reason .

I had trouble getting Sheffield sites to load. Saw what you meant about file work, not for me.

Last edited:
Thanks, interesting site. I'm interested in hunting, pocket or cooking knives really. Knives to be used. I had a look at this page

Bushcraft Survival Knives

as they looked to be the sort of knife I'd be interested in. They were very nicely made knives but from a practical point of view they had weaknesses where the Buck had strengths, especially in the handle and the sheath. For instance this one;

woodbush1.jpg

woodbush.jpg

You can tell the guy's never used or carried a knife seriously in tough situations. You'd never get through thick bush with the handle poking out of the sheath like that, you'd get hung up on every bit of suplejack and general crap you went past; and that handle doesn't have enough protection to stop the hand sliding on to the blade. Well imo anyway. In fact the only way I can see the Buck being improved for my use is if the blade shape was slightly more spear point.

But then I went through a few knives and sheaths finding out about these things, which you'd never think of in the shop when you were buying it. Well, I never did till these things showed up when I tried to use whatever I'd bought.

Then look at what you get for the price, that's priced at US$210.

Buck, hands down, better knife for less money.

Last edited:
I looked at their pocket knives, too. I used to use IXL knives in the 70s. Wouldn't bother now. Victorinox all the way. Just a better knife.

victorinox_spartan_red_1_3603.jpg

well I have a fair amount of knives , mostly pocket folding knives , some tactical folders , some bought for their looks or history and I agree on the Swiss knife folders , Swiss made for the 2 that I have . Mostly I just like having one or 2 smallish folders on me . Lately I'm carrying a French made single bladed 4 inch Douk Douk folder and a tiny little older American made knife that Copenhagen tobacco gave out sometime in the late 80s for 5 bucks a piece , I have 2 . They have Copenhagen brass shields on them and I forget at the moment who made them . Also carry a Leatherman Original style but updated 300 Supertool . If I were to be in the woods camping I'd have my Navy fighting knife , my supertool and my Swiss . As far as kitchen knives , I have a high end block of a German Brand but if I ever buy kitchen knives again i'll just buy Old Hickory brand .

These ones?

Old Hickory Knives kitchen knives butcher knives paring knives and cutlery sets.

I've tried using that butcher style in the kitchen, the trouble with them is there is no clearance for knuckles, so one has to have the handle of the knife over the edge of the chopping board. I've gone to Victorinox for a cook's knife as well. Thin flexible blade, fibrox industrial quality non slip moulded handle, not a bad balance between edge holding and ease of sharpening, can't see me going back to a heavy rigid blade.

This one.

http://www.qualityknives.co.nz

I worked a couple of years in an abattoir, the handle is almost the first thing I look at in a knife now. No more wood handles for me.

I just bought a Cold Steel "Bushman" and boy is it impressive!

Just like this one in the vid.

I've been researching it for a while and knew I wanted it over the Cold Steel GI Tanto.

But what really convinced me was when I heard the sound of the cold steel blade being removed from the sheath @1:28

Schwiiiing.

What a sweet sound!

I was hooked.

$27.99 S/H included was the very best price I found online after a good deal of searching.

My Cold Steel Bushman is one of about 260 knives in my collection. Although it's not one of my top ten favorites it still serves an important purpose. It can easily be transformed from a knife into a spear or digging utensil. It's one of those items you'd want to carry in your survival pack or bug-out-bag. I can picture myself spearing fish or warding off a bear attack (not that I would ever want to put that scenario to the test).

just picked up a Becker bkt 22 knife and sheath , nice big knife , survival knife big and neavy duty . --- KA-BAR Knives Inc. - Knives All Categories Becker Campanion - Hardcore Lives. Hardcore Knives. --- made by KABAR , design by Becker !! cost wa about $70.00 through Amazon . Similar or same knife made by 'essee' knives but quite a bit more in cost I think . --- WOW , nice knife !!

Glad you enjoy it. Hope it exceeds your expectations. I am more loyal to Buck knives myself.

just picked up a Becker bkt 22 knife and sheath , nice big knife , survival knife big and neavy duty . --- KA-BAR Knives Inc. - Knives All Categories Becker Campanion - Hardcore Lives. Hardcore Knives. --- made by KABAR , design by Becker !! cost wa about $70.00 through Amazon . Similar or same knife made by 'essee' knives but quite a bit more in cost I think . --- WOW , nice knife !!
Mmm, looks not bad at first sight. Do you have a shot of the sheath?

edit...found it. Not the worst I've seen but I still like deeper sheaths that hide the handle, bush like this catches on anything sticking out.

800px-Rain_forest_NZ.JPG

Last edited:

Forum List

Back