I Humbly Request Military Legal Advice

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I'm close to reaching my point of no return perhaps. I am seriously considering getting arrested in Hong Kong next year during a port visit there for an act of protest at the gates of the Chinese Naval HQ in Hong Kong. My reasons are thus:

- China is directly responsible for the continuation of genocide in Darfur, supplying Sudan's terrorist regime with weapons, satellite intel,money and technical advice. They're doing it all for oil and to spite and undermine the US.
- China is directly responsible for the brutal military regime in Burma (they call it Mynamar) continuing to hold power and ruthlessly deny the people of Burma their democratically elected freedoms and leadership.Ditto for North Korea.
- China is stifling freedom and prosperity in Hong Kong, while threatening Taiwan.

No one in my nation's leadership seems to care or even be much concerned about China's role in these tragedies and its larger implications for American and world security.

I realize it would be an international incident perhaps, and it would probably get me some serious military jail time (both Chinese and American).
My conscience is killing me though. I could stand fast and do this in a few more years as a civilian, but how many more lives will China's greed and hunger for power cost then?

I feel inspired by those in the past who have called evil empires by their accurate descriptions (famous and lesser known, both ronald reagan and james bryce)

So
(a) how serious would my UCMJ trouble be (i've heard varied guesses from some folks here in Japan)
(b) how big a headache would my actions be for the Navy and my command?
(c) you probably think I'm crazy or stupid... i think i'm a bit of both but that's why I'm thinking things through and trying to hold this off until i'm a civilian?(three years from now)
... are there better alternatives to this that could do something more or matter more?

thank you for even tolerating this level of stupidity and perhaps even giving a thoughtful reply to it.

Geeeeezzzzzzzz Nato! Why did you do this to me so early in the day?

It very well may be an International incident. Are you ready to bare responsibility for that?
Do you think that if it became an International incident the cause of your actions wouldn't just be lost in the incident itself? Do you think that jail time and a tarnished military record for the rest of your life will change things? What will it accomplish? Nato goes to jail, gets a General or Dishonorable discharge and China keeps on rolling along.

Make no mistake here Nato...an action like what you propose WILL change your life forever,
but not for the better. Sure down the road you could always say, "I did what was right" followed by
"But the time was wrong and it screwed up my whole life".

I would suggest you write to your Congressman instead if you haven't already.
Do your time and work with accepted methods. I think you'll be very sorry if you don't.

DON'T DO IT NATO!!!!!!!
There are serious consequences, not worth it.
I know it might make you feel better but you have to ask
yourself one thing " What will I accomplish" Jail time, that's what.
As far as UCMJ, there is a sort of beauty to this code as any commander can
find a way to punish you to the maximum amount the Navy will allow him.
You can no doubt get a ARTICLE 15 for conduct non becomming of a soldier,
hell they could even discharge you. Hang in there and find another way to make
yourself feel better. Chinese police don't fuck around!!!

NATO, while I admire your willingness to point out the extreme lack of human rights in China (and its satelite states), I strongly urge you not to protest in Hong Kong. As Joker said, Chinese police don't screw around. It would be one thing to stage such a protest at the Chinese Embassy in Washington, where you would at least be assured your right to assemble and be treated fairly in case of arrest. Until then, I would suggest exhausting your abilities to act as a private citizen - write letters to your representatives (federal and state); write letters to the editor of your local papers; or find people to organizae rallies stateside. But I think your plan to protest on Chinese soil, especially as a US serviceman, could result in consequences you don't want to face.

thank you gop_jeff, joker and mr.p... i recieved "it sounds okay as long as you don't get arrested" advice from the Yokosuka Naval Base JAG OIC to hold a protest placard across the street from the Sudanese consulate/embassy in NYC. They have a 24 hour protest with several people organized by the NYC Interfaith Alliance there at all times. I think I'll do that for 3-4 hours and try to feel better.

To be honest, I think I'm having a breakdown of sorts. I've written congressmen (Sen. Bill Nelson's (D-FL) staff sends weekly Congresional/State Dept/USAID updates via Priority Mail to my FPOAP), newspapers, journals, websites, religious groups, churches, synagogues, mosques, community groups and various NGO's. In total, I have written/sent over 1900 e-mails/letters/postcards on this issue over the past five months. Its not enough to me. Every week the news gets worse, more people die and my spirits sink lower. I even started going to church again last month. I've asked for Jesus to come into my life since I was a teenager but I have yet to experience "his arrival" into my life that others have (When the reverend or parishoners ask, "did you feel it? as he come?" i have to tell the truth and say "no". My prayers are more desperate, more emotional and more heartfelt than ever before. Nothing seems to work. I need HIM or something in my life that can help me (and the people of Darfur) through this. Without that, my descent continues unabated despite my best efforts.

Thanks again, especially for tolerating my idiot idea and persuading me away from it.

In total, I have written/sent over 1900 e-mails/letters/postcards on this issue over the past five months.
Wow!!! Just a tid-bit I picked up somewhere...supposedly a hand written
letter gets much more attention from politicians than e-mail. I don't know if this is true but
with 1900 various mailings under your belt I bet you can make a better judgement of that.

Mr. P said:
Wow!!! Just a tid-bit I picked up somewhere...supposedly a hand written
letter gets much more attention from politicians than e-mail. I don't know if this is true but
with 1900 various mailings under your belt I bet you can make a better judgement of that.

thank you , i send weekly letters to my congressmen. i send e-mails to the congressional leaders and commitee chairmen. guess i'll start sending letters to them as well.

As far as your frustration with the situation goes...try and understand and use this prayer.
No...I'm not preaching...It just seems to fit your needs right now and wise to always remember.
After all...we're only human.

GOD, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage, to change the things I can, and the Wisdom, to know the difference.

Mr. P said:
As far as your frustration with the situation goes...try and understand and use this prayer.
No...I'm not preaching...It just seems to fit your needs right now and wise to always remember.
After all...we're only human.

GOD, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage, to change the things I can, and the Wisdom, to know the difference.

that is a powerful prayer, thank you

Does the UCMJ prohibit such an action? If so, you are bound by your word - your oath, to comply with the articles...with the lawfull orders of those appointed over you. If a man's word is no good, he has nothing.

NATO AIR said:
that is a powerful prayer, thank you

A powerful request used by many with much success!! I highly recommend it !
Concentrating on what you CAN accomplish as opposed to what you haven't yet may open you mind to new, creative,(and realistic) personal initiatives. You've got a lot of goodness in ya---don't waste it. Problems that are closer to 'home' may be awaiting your attention!

New Topics

Forum List

Back