I honestly do not know what to say

Where have YOU been? I've been bitching about this shit for YEARS.

Our taxes went up this year. How come His Eminence has promised to veto government spending cuts?

As usual, we're paying a f-d up bureaucracy's bill.

Exactly. Meanwhile bureaucrats have job security

When is congress going to take a pay cut?

When are they going to propose cuts to existing pension plans and health benefits for those legislators who have already retired? After all, isn't that what Walker says should happen to Union pensioners? And we have all Republicans across the country lauding him for it.

Got news for you. As a retiree, my taxes got hiked on a fixed income paycheck that hasn't seen a cost of living allowance raise since the last year Bush was President.

You want to keep beating yourself up, or what?

When are they going to propose cuts to existing pension plans and health benefits for those legislators who have already retired? After all, isn't that what Walker says should happen to Union pensioners? And we have all Republicans across the country lauding him for it.

I laud him for it as well.

I also agree with you about our elected officials in DC. No way in hell they should be getting those platinum plated pensions or beni's and taxpayer expense. Time to slice and dice that bs as well.

Of course all these goodies were voted in for themselves by themselves.

Hows that for a sure thing??

I disagree. People should get what was promised to them. It's wrong to f- them over after the fact.

I am however, all for changing the rules. Twelve years in Congress and you're in for LIFE? I spent 20 in the military and can't make ends meet without working.

Problem goes two ways. If you just cut Congressional perks they'd cry like titty-babies. Free parking in DC, free home in DC, free air trips home, free laundry, etc.

Then you have to get the f- wads that get that money to use it correctly.

A lot to ask from a fat dumb and happy, Jabba the Hut bureaucracy.

Where have YOU been? I've been bitching about this shit for YEARS.

Our taxes went up this year. How come His Eminence has promised to veto government spending cuts?

As usual, we're paying a f-d up bureaucracy's bill.

I agree, they need to take the same kinds of cuts.

We all heard about the GAO report on government duplication that just came out yesterday.

U.S. GAO - Opportunities to Reduce Potential Duplication in Government Programs, Save Tax Dollars, and Enhance Revenue

But did you know that the government actually has 82 different programs to improve teacher quality?

the U.S. government has 82 distinct programs to improve teacher quality (which, judging from our schools, is clearly working quite well). Many of those programs “share similar goals,” according to the report, yet “there is no governmentwide strategy to minimize fragmentation, overlap, or duplication among these many programs.” Which probably helps explain how we got so many programs designed to do the same damn thing in the first place.

Federal Government's Duplicate Programs Make Dupes Out of Taxpayers - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

If that does not boggle your mind you know for a fact that you are a liberal progressive.

Hmmm, seems we told you about duplications back when Bush fired up Faith Based Charities and doubled the size of Welfare programs. Ahh, did that just boggle your retarded mind?:lol:

The way I see it, federal funding targeted for specific groups or interests is largely ineffective or quickly becomes that way and, more often than not, will continue to grow and divide like a cancer until it becomes cost prohibitive.

Meanwhile, the problem it is supposed to address appears little different than it did before or gets worse. The only improvements are as often as not accomplished by lowering standards and expectations or rewriting definitions.

The fact is, when you have so many layers of bureaucracy involved in anything, most of the taxpayers money is swallowed up there instead of getting to the people it was intended to help.

It's time to slowly, carefully, and methodically start shutting down all this stuff and returning it to the states where it belonged in the first place.

I also agree with you about our elected officials in DC. No way in hell they should be getting those platinum plated pensions or beni's and taxpayer expense. Time to slice and dice that bs as well.

I disagree. People should get what was promised to them. It's wrong to f- them over after the fact.

I am however, all for changing the rules. Twelve years in Congress and you're in for LIFE? I spent 20 in the military and can't make ends meet without working.

Problem goes two ways. If you just cut Congressional perks they'd cry like titty-babies. Free parking in DC, free home in DC, free air trips home, free laundry, etc.

Ahhh, are you saying Walker isn't taking a pay cut, slashing his medical & pensions??
:lol: Why what a Retarded hypocrite!!! Yes I know, typical repubirat.

It's all too easy to say that people should get what was promised to them.

However, when what was promised to them was for the purpose of increasing the power, prestige, influence, and/or personal fortunes of politicians who arranged for unsuspecting folks on down the road to provide the promised benefits, a time will come when the promises have to either be rescinded or the government entity is so strapped for cash it can't meet its obligations for much of anything.

And that is why collective bargaining in the public sector should never be allowed. The working guy, the tax payer, doesn't have a place at the table during the negotiations, but he is stuck with the bill when it comes due on down the line.

Last edited:
The way I see it, federal funding targeted for specific groups or interests is largely ineffective or quickly becomes that way and, more often than not, will continue to grow and divide like a cancer until it becomes cost prohibitive.

Meanwhile, the problem it is supposed to address appears little different than it did before or gets worse. The only improvements are as often as not accomplished by lowering standards and expectations or rewriting definitions.

The fact is, when you have so many layers of bureaucracy involved in anything, most of the taxpayers money is swallowed up there instead of getting to the people it was intended to help.

It's time to slowly, carefully, and methodically start shutting down all this stuff and returning it to the states where it belonged in the first place.

Define "all this stuff."

Social security?
Medicare?

How about we cut the military by 98% and brings all of our troops home? How about we cut Homeland security & be big girls and boys? How about we cut Foreign aid & corporate aid, and use those respources for the American people??

Define "all this stuff."

Social security?
Medicare?

How about we cut the military by 98% and brings all of our troops home? How about we cut Homeland security & be big girls and boys? How about we cut Foreign aid & corporate aid, and use those respources for the American people??

The national defense is a constitutional responsibility of the federal government. Social Security and Medicare is not.

So yes, we should begin now to slowly, carefully, and incrementally start transferring social security and medicare to the states where it always should have been. Like almost ALL federal entitlements, without exception, it has produced unhealthy dependencies while costs have spiraled to unsustainable proportions. We have to take care of those the government has made dependent on such programs, but she sure as heck don't have to create more unhealthy dependencies.

i am curious with the GOP's plan to cut 700k jobs, if they are tackling these redundancies or just cutting to cut because they dont like the program based on Ideology.

Motives are immaterial. Motives are our own and for our own purposes.

All that matters in this are whether 15 different programs are necessary or even useful in addressing a social concern and, if they are not, then the programs and jobs should be cut. All 15 programs even if they are not accomplishing what they were intended to do or if it is determined that they would be handled more effectively by more local governments or in the private sector. Each individual lawmaker's motive is really irrelevent to that.

We all heard about the GAO report on government duplication that just came out yesterday.

U.S. GAO - Opportunities to Reduce Potential Duplication in Government Programs, Save Tax Dollars, and Enhance Revenue

But did you know that the government actually has 82 different programs to improve teacher quality?

the U.S. government has 82 distinct programs to improve teacher quality (which, judging from our schools, is clearly working quite well). Many of those programs “share similar goals,” according to the report, yet “there is no governmentwide strategy to minimize fragmentation, overlap, or duplication among these many programs.” Which probably helps explain how we got so many programs designed to do the same damn thing in the first place.
Federal Government's Duplicate Programs Make Dupes Out of Taxpayers - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

If that does not boggle your mind you know for a fact that you are a liberal progressive.

Hmmm, seems we told you about duplications back when Bush fired up Faith Based Charities and doubled the size of Welfare programs. Ahh, did that just boggle your retarded mind?:lol:

Congratulations on being the first to blame Bush.:stupid:

i am curious with the GOP's plan to cut 700k jobs, if they are tackling these redundancies or just cutting to cut because they dont like the program based on Ideology.

All that matters in this are whether 15 different programs are necessary or even useful in addressing a social concern and, if they are not, then the programs and jobs should be cut. All 15 programs even if they are not accomplishing what they were intended to do or if it is determined that they would be handled more effectively by more local governments or in the private sector. Each individual lawmaker's motive is really irrelevent to that.

Exactly. Cut the duplication and cut the deficit at the same time.

The Govt is a fat bloated pig. Its time to slice and dice big time.

So you're saying you're against improving teacher quality, right?

Liberals are tepid about this because in their mind gov't spending creates jobs and prosperity. After all, if you lay off those people you increase unemployment.

well yes they do matter, because personal feeling are going to drive what gets cut. We already know that the GOP wont cut anything Military, SS, or Medicare. I bet push came to shove they would cut some from the last two.

You dont go cutting for cuttings sake.

If personal feelings drive the cuts, then we're talking about something entirely different than what I'm talking about - UNLESS - the right cuts get made just the same.

You see it isn't ideology or opinions or feelings or whether a person is liberal or conservative or something in between. The measure of what has promoted the general welfare and what has not is in the results and consequences.

A person may have the most selfish, egotistical, and/or sinister motives in the world, and his/her vote on the most beneficial side counts just as much and accomplishes just as much as does the vote of the saint with pure motives.

And regardless of whether a person has the most pure and noble motives in the world, that won't count for squat if there are unintended negative consequences. Those who get hurt will hurt just as much regardless of whatever motives caused the pain.

We all need to start being honest about what has worked and what hasn't and throw our support behind what actually works. Politics based on good intentions got us into the mess we are in now. Let's ditch that in favor of politics of proved value and success.

Last edited:

I also agree with you about our elected officials in DC. No way in hell they should be getting those platinum plated pensions or beni's at taxpayer expense.

Time to slice and dice that bs as well.

It would be fascinating to see if some brave lawmaker actually proposed such a thing and watch how many others recoil from the thought. I nominate Senator Tom Coburn who seems to be the only one not afraid to call a spade a spade (no pun intended, please), and still maintain friendships across the aisle.

Got news for you. As a retiree, my taxes got hiked on a fixed income paycheck that hasn't seen a cost of living allowance raise since the last year Bush was President.

You want to keep beating yourself up, or what?

A lot of people are in the same boat you are, including me. What's that got to do with cutting off Cadillac pensions and perks for lawmakers? MY only point was that in the political mindset of some, it's okay to decree the elimination of the pensions of some, but not others.

What are the retirement perks and benefits for officers as opposed to enlisted men? The hierarchy always get more.

I agree. Cuts have to be made, but as you say slowly and methodically. When lawmakers start making wild demands for what should be on the "chopping block," it scares a lot of people, becomes immediately unpopular, and then backfires so that it never gets done at all.

It's all too easy to say that people should get what was promised to them.

However, when what was promised to them was for the purpose of increasing the power, prestige, influence, and/or personal fortunes of politicians who arranged for unsuspecting folks on down the road to provide the promised benefits, a time will come when the promises have to either be rescinded or the government entity is so strapped for cash it can't meet its obligations for much of anything.

And that is why collective bargaining in the public sector should never be allowed. The working guy, the tax payer, doesn't have a place at the table during the negotiations, but he is stuck with the bill when it comes due on down the line.

Yes, but presumably those state representatives the taxpayers elected to represent them have brains enough to negotiate out those provisions that only benefit the union member and hurt the taxpayer. Some states don't have the problems with unions that Wisconsin has.

Define "all this stuff."

Social security?
Medicare?

Social Security and Medicare are not part of annual budgets. Although payroll taxes and benefit payments for those are part of the total federal deficit, they are considered off-budget for annual spending purposes (although I've never gotten an adequate explanation as to why, other than the fluctuation is difficult to forecast for a given year).

New Topics

Forum List

Back