I have to write an eulogy....

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
For a funeral where people may be packing weapons, and hatred runs high.

Is it an eulogy or a eulogy? That's all I can think of.

Writer's block sucks. I've opted not to take my younger children, despite the fact they well knew the 22 y.o. boy who died.

It's a suicide, so blame is running high amongst the kids who loved him. They want to blame someone for his death, and his (admittedly) awful girlfriend is high on the list. She has told people she expects to receive money and is driving around in the boy's car with her convict boyfriend.

Which of course pisses off all of his younger friends and relatives.

Those of us who are older really just want the funeral to be peaceful and a loving tribute.

Not likely to happen. But I pray for the best. I'll be leaving my babies behind 140 miles away, so I can show up the night before, write the eulogy, comfort the grandmother and my son, and help monitor the funeral.

How hideous is that?

#1 Why do you have to write a eulogy?

#2 Why would someone pack a weapon to a funeral?

I wouldn't do it. I'd beg off. let them hate and shoot each other all by themselves.

You used "an" when you should have used "A" twice now. Be careful when you write it, meaning have it proof-read, (assuming you care, and no I'm not spelling police I'm just looking out).

Writer's block sucks. I've opted not to take my younger children, despite the fact they well knew the 22 y.o. boy who died.

It's a suicide, so blame is running high amongst the kids who loved him. They want to blame someone for his death, and his (admittedly) awful girlfriend is high on the list. She has told people she expects to receive money and is driving around in the boy's car with her convict boyfriend.

Those of us who are older really just want the funeral to be peaceful and a loving tribute.

Not likely to happen. But I pray for the best. I'll be leaving my babies behind 140 miles away, so I can show up the night before, write the eulogy, comfort the grandmother and my son, and help monitor the funeral.

How hideous is that?

How in the heck did you get that job pard?

How hideous is that?

Wow, what a predicament. I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you the best. I think it's an eulogy.

I think it's an eulogy, too.

I got the job because I'm a good writer, and my family has known Skyler since he was a little boy.

I got the job because I'm a good writer, and my family has known Skyler since he was a little boy.

Good luck Allie, although it won't be easy, you'll do fine, I'm sure. :cool:

I'm thinking because the word eulogy is pronounced beginning with the sound of a Y you would not need to use "an", but maybe it could go either way?

I'm thinking because the word eulogy is pronounced beginning with the sound of a Y you would not need to use "an", but maybe it could go either way?

Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would make a consonant-type sound, you use "a." So, if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions. Since the 'h' hasn't any phonetic representation, no audible sound, in the first exception, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, 'an' is used. In the second exception, the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.
Articles: A versus An - The OWL at Purdue

Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would make a consonant-type sound, you use "a." So, if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions. Since the 'h' hasn't any phonetic representation, no audible sound, in the first exception, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, 'an' is used. In the second exception, the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.

I thought you were tired :lol:

I thought you were tired :lol:

:night:

it's not a sucky job, it's an honor.

But as it turns out, I'm not going to have to write one...they've decided to just let ppl speak as it suits them.

I spent the night with about 30 of his friends, including his two brothers and my son. It turned out surprisingly well. Looking at pictures now...goodnight.

You're going to a funeral where people will be packing guns?

Do you live in Somalia?!

it's not a sucky job, it's an honor.

But as it turns out, I'm not going to have to write one...they've decided to just let ppl speak as it suits them.

I spent the night with about 30 of his friends, including his two brothers and my son. It turned out surprisingly well. Looking at pictures now...goodnight.

I didn't mean it was "sucky" in that way, but more of a "the situation is sucky" way.

Forum List

Back