“I have real concerns about grammar schools....

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
....In my lifetime, I have met too many people, including incredibly bright, successful people, who carry that scar of failing the 11-plus, and that segregation in schooling.”

unnamed.jpg

Baroness Shami Chakrabarti takes her seat in the Lords

The problem is, however, that the Baroness – like so many in the upper echelons of the Labour Party – has herself chosen to make selective secondary schooling a moral issue. The Labour Party officially argues that it is socially divisive and wrong, and that the 11-plus exam traumatises children. Lady Chakrabarti firmly supports that position, saying: “I have real concerns about grammar schools. In my lifetime, I have met too many people, including incredibly bright, successful people, who carry that scar of failing the 11-plus, and that segregation in schooling.”

At the same time, Lady Chakrabarti has chosen a selective, or “segregated”, education for her own child at Dulwich College in London, where pupils are admitted not only by means of considerable fees, but also a stiffly competitive exam.

It may or may not have been potentially traumatic for her son to fail that exam, but presumably the Baroness had sufficient faith in his abilities and resilience to let him have a crack at it.

To end their hypocrisy, Labour must now support grammar schools

This belongs in the UK or Europe sub-forum. Nobody in the US gives a damn about this topic.

Our education concern deals with the Dept. of Education and common core. Maybe standardized tests.

We don't give a shit about some UK 11-plus exam.

This belongs in the UK or Europe sub-forum. Nobody in the US gives a damn about this topic.

Our education concern deals with the Dept. of Education and common core. Maybe standardized tests.

We don't give a shit about some UK 11-plus exam.

This is about the hypocrisy and double standards of the "progressive" left!

....In my lifetime, I have met too many people, including incredibly bright, successful people, who carry that scar of failing the 11-plus, and that segregation in schooling.”

View attachment 93074

The problem is, however, that the Baroness – like so many in the upper echelons of the Labour Party – has herself chosen to make selective secondary schooling a moral issue. The Labour Party officially argues that it is socially divisive and wrong, and that the 11-plus exam traumatises children. Lady Chakrabarti firmly supports that position, saying: “I have real concerns about grammar schools. In my lifetime, I have met too many people, including incredibly bright, successful people, who carry that scar of failing the 11-plus, and that segregation in schooling.”

At the same time, Lady Chakrabarti has chosen a selective, or “segregated”, education for her own child at Dulwich College in London, where pupils are admitted not only by means of considerable fees, but also a stiffly competitive exam.

It may or may not have been potentially traumatic for her son to fail that exam, but presumably the Baroness had sufficient faith in his abilities and resilience to let him have a crack at it.

Ignore the ugly Americans.

Why is the 11-Plus exam so contentious? Does it ask questions only elite students would know the answer to?

View attachment 93074

Why is the 11-Plus exam so contentious? Does it ask questions only elite students would know the answer to?
I think it's because it selects and streams students from such an early age down one education path or another.

View attachment 93074

I think it's because it selects and streams students from such an early age down one education path or another.

They are forced to go down certain paths?

View attachment 93074

They are forced to go down certain paths?
Hopefully, someone who knows more about it can answer you.
I did find this in Wikipedia though
The eleven-plus (11-plus) is an examination administered to some students in England and Northern Ireland in their last year of primary education, which governs admission to various types of secondary school. The name derives from the age group for secondary entry: 11–12 years. The eleven-plus was once used throughout England and Wales but is now only used in some counties and boroughs in England. Also known as the transfer test, it is especially associated with the Tripartite System which was in use from 1944 to 1976.

The examination tests a student's ability to solve problems using verbal reasoning and mathematics. The intention was that it should be a general test for intelligence. Introduced in 1944, the examination was used to determine which type of school the student should attend after primary education: a grammar school, a secondary modern school, or a technical school. The base of the Tripartite System was the idea that skills were more important than financial resources in determining what kind of schooling a child should receive: different skills required different schooling.
Eleven-plus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet when questioned about the segregation of sending her son to the prestigious Dulwich College, Ms Chakrabarti said she lives a "charmed and privileged life" and was simply "trying to do the best" for her family.

"If you have money in this country you will always be alright", Ms Chakrabarti said, adding that she had joined the Labour Party to ensure that society was more equal.

When it was suggested that sending children from middle class homes to state schools helps raise standards, Ms Chakrabarti responded that she "understood" this argument but would not "get into the personal stuff because there is a child in this world who did not chose to be Shami Chakrabarti's child".

Video
Shami Chakrabarti defends sending son to £18,000 private school while criticising selective education

Last edited:
Yet when questioned about the segregation of sending her son to the prestigious Dulwich College, Ms Chakrabarti said she lives a "charmed and privileged life" and was simply "trying to do the best" for her family.

"If you have money in this country you will always be alright", Ms Chakrabarti said, adding that she had joined the Labour Party to ensure that society was more equal.

When it was suggested that sending children from middle class homes to state schools helps raise standards, Ms Chakrabarti responded that she "understood" this argument but would not "get into the personal stuff because there is a child in this world who did not chose to be Shami Chakrabarti's child".

Video
Shami Chakrabarti defends sending son to £18,000 private school while criticising selective education
I'm not sure I agree with the charge of hypocrisy.

You can still campaign for better education for poor people while taking advantage of your own position.
Does that mean to campaign for better housing standards you should live in a hovel yourself...or better wages you should live on minimum wage...or better health care you shouldn't use your own money to pay for a life-saving operation?

Video
I'm not sure I agree with the charge of hypocrisy.

You can still campaign for better education for poor people while taking advantage of your own position.
Does that mean to campaign for better housing standards you should live in a hovel yourself...or better wages you should live on minimum wage...or better health care you shouldn't use your own money to pay for a life-saving operation?

Baroness hypocrisy is against Grammar Schools, state funded selective schools, while sending her son to a fee-paying selective school. It would be like an American opposing school vouchers, while sending their precious cargo to a top notch private school.

Like it or not, educational resources are FINITE. And when you have to decide where and to whom those limited resources are to be allocated, there is no rational alternative to a TEST.

Proposing that you water-down or compromise an entire testing system because some small percentage of students simply "don't do well on tests" is a ridiculous and counter-productive approach to take, regardless of the circumstances.

What eventually happens when you abandon a test for some cultural do-gooder reason (as with, for example the hiring of administrative people in the U.S. federal government), is that you begin advancing people to satisfy specious cultural quotas and mediocrity reigns.

The people and organizations who develop the "tests" have an obligation to make them as relevant, repeatable, and reliable as possible, but by all means, keep the tests. It is the only good and fair way to decide how to allocate limited resources.

Like it or not, educational resources are FINITE. And when you have to decide where and to whom those limited resources are to be allocated, there is no rational alternative to a TEST.

Is 53,000 books limited enough to matter?

All Books (sorted by release date)

Admittedly a lot of these books are too old, but some are great.

This is better than what I got in grade school:

The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Literary World Seventh Reader, edited by John Calvin Metcalf, Sarah Withers, and Hetty S. Browne.

psik

Forum List

Back