I have Jury Duty tomorrow...

Yes it was....Eventually.

One of the most frivolous prosecutions in recent history.
I'm sure she never got full restitution from her stress, legal fees, and probably loss of wages.

Edit one typo, left the other. You can sure tell when I'm getting tired. LOL

Last edited:
I'm kind of looking forward to it, and see it as doing part of my Civic Duty.

It's my first time.

Anyone have any good Jury Duty stories?

I don't know about good, but memorable. Most involved automobile accidents. On one case, this lady turned in front of this guy and he hit her. He wanted nearly $1 million for various things, none of which even came close to $1 million. The lady's husband was a very wealthy dentist, so he thought he'd won the lottery. We eventually awarded him about $20k for damages.

What was interesting was that the woman he hit was in town for cancer treatments and we saw her testimony on video. Why? Because she had died of cancer by the time the case went to court. And right after the accident, the guy who hit her wouldn't allow her to leave in an ambulance at the insistence of her husband and the paramedics because she caused the accident that damaged his nice car, even though she might have bled to death right there. (The guy was large - about 6'5", at least 300 lbs.) Eventually, the cops showed up and the lady went to the hospital. All through the trial, the lawyers were badmouthing this dead woman. Kind of creepy.

Furthermore, the evidence his lawyers presented reinforced her case, not his. For example, they showed a huge photo of his wrecked car, a low profile, dark gray mercedes. The accident occurred early on a rainy morning, so his lawyers got everyone on the jury to realize just how difficult it was to see him coming in the opposite direction (over a hill, btw). I calculated the reaction time she would have had to avoid the accident depending on the speed he was going. It was between 0.5-2 seconds, and it was dark and rainy. It was also light enough that he may not have had his lights on. Sure, she caused the accident, but everyone on the jury could see how it could happen.

I was the foreman and as soon as the verdict was read, I and the rest of the jurors got out of there as soon as we could. The guy thought he was going to be rich. Instead, he got some money to help pay for some lost wages.

It's my first time.

I wouldn't call it a good story, but I lived it.

I sat on jury for a murder trial about 6 years ago. The trial wasn't to determine whether or not the guy was guilty of murder, the trial was for us to determine if it was 1st or 2nd degree murder.
This guy and his buddy went to a retarded mans apartment in section 8 housing on New Years Eve. They got drunk with him, then decided to rob him. One held him down and the other took a box cutter and sliced him up. When he didn't die quick enough they took a hammer and beat his head in until they crushed his skull.
As a member of the jury, I had to look at all those 8X10 glossy colored photos of the crime scene and the dead guy.
The guy that was on trial was a 15 year old kid. The state had already determined that he was to be tried as an adult. My daughter was 15 at the time, which made it especially hard for me. Every parent on that jury cried when we announced the verdict of 1st degree murder.

I'll never sit on a criminal jury for a kid again. I'll refuse to do it, even if it means jail time for me. It was one of the worst things I've ever done.

I hope your experience is better.

xsited1 & Mountain Man: I have been on the phone for the last hour...I did read your stories.

I want to reply more, but I can't right now. Just wanted to say thank you.

It's my first time.

Nope. 2 really boring weeks.

Depends on the kind of cases you get I suppose. Mine were really dull.

It's my first time.

I sat on jury for a murder trial about 6 years ago. The trial wasn't to determine whether or not the guy was guilty of murder, the trial was for us to determine if it was 1st or 2nd degree murder.
This guy and his buddy went to a retarded mans apartment in section 8 housing on New Years Eve. They got drunk with him, then decided to rob him. One held him down and the other took a box cutter and sliced him up. When he didn't die quick enough they took a hammer and beat his head in until they crushed his skull.
As a member of the jury, I had to look at all those 8X10 glossy colored photos of the crime scene and the dead guy.
The guy that was on trial was a 15 year old kid. The state had already determined that he was to be tried as an adult. My daughter was 15 at the time, which made it especially hard for me. Every parent on that jury cried when we announced the verdict of 1st degree murder.

I'll never sit on a criminal jury for a kid again. I'll refuse to do it, even if it means jail time for me. It was one of the worst things I've ever done.

What a horrible experience you describe. Sounds like you went through hell.

After my time in the court house today, which was fascinating, but tedious with details, I now know what the case is: It does involve a criminal, not civil case, and yes, it is a big one.

I go in for one on one voir dire tomorrow. I also can't talk about details, as you know.
I'm not sure if I can just say what the charge is even (without mentioning what (or who) the case is about...?)

I'd like to know that. Anyone know? Can a juror, or potential juror, even mention the charge?

It's my first time.

After my time in the court house today, which was fascinating, but tedious with details, I now know what the case is: It does involve a criminal, not civil case, and yes, it is a big one.

I go in for one on one voir dire tomorrow. I also can't talk about details, as you know.
I'm not sure if I can just say what the charge is even (without mentioning what (or who) the case is about...?)

I'd like to know that. Anyone know? Can a juror, or potential juror, even mention the charge?
I don't think so but I'm curious what state and city. *wink*

I don't think so but I'm curious what state and city. *wink*
:lol:

I had a domestic violence case the last time I had jury duty...and surprisingly, we found the guy innocent...it was so much more complicated of a case than my initial thoughts...I guess i prejudged, which is wrong...I know....but once the case was before us and we heard the testimony, including that of the wife and others, we could see what was really going on with the case... I don;t think i am allowed to tell you guys all the details, am I? Well basically the wife said she made it up, because her father told her to...but that ain;t the half of it....

it wasn't even a beating but a nik on her face from his bacelet when he grabbed their baby from her for his visits with the child, they were separated and she was staying at dad's house who hated her husband for knocking the daughter up...*

I feel good that this young guy had us as a jury, ( so did his wife, who was forced to do this by the daddy she was afraid of)he could have been hurt for life with this kind of false charge.

Last edited:
I had a domestic violence case the last time I had jury duty...and surprisingly, we found the guy innocent...it was so much more complicated of a case than my initial thoughts...I guess i prejudged, which is wrong...I know....but once the case was before us and we heard the testimony, including that of the wife and others, we could see what was really going on with the case... I don;t think i am allowed to tell you guys all the details, am I? Well basically the wife said she made it up, because her father told her to...but that ain;t the half of it....

it wasn't even a beating but a nik on her face from his bacelet when he grabbed their baby from her for his visits with the child, they were separated and she was staying at dad's house who hated her husband for knocking the daughter up...*

I feel good that this young guy had us as a jury, ( so did his wife, who was forced to do this by the daddy she was afraid of)he could have been hurt for life with this kind of false charge.
I think you can talk about it after the case has been adjudicated and you've been dismissed, but I'm no lawyer....obviously. lol.

Maybe one of the legal beagles here can fill us in.

It's my first time.

Yeah.. The year that my dad (an assistant city attorney, where I grew up) died, I was 9 and my sister had just turned 12. That summer, my mom was concerned about a week in between school and summer camp, when we did not have girl scout camp or summer play camp to go to, and be supervised. Well, she asked her boss for the time off, and her boss said no.

Needless to say, my mom (a Scottish immigrant) got summoned for jury duty during that very same week she needed off. The lawyers asked her what her feelings, if any, were about handguns. She said she was deathly afraid of them and was promptly excused.. from work and jury duty, of course, leaving her mind at ease, and capable of staying home with us girls, without worry of losing her job or not doing her civic duty as a naturalized citizen.

:lol:

I love that story.. <3 :eusa_angel:

Oh and then there was this other time when I got summoned (actually I have been very fortunate because this happened twice, different states, too) and was out of town when the summons came.. The DAY AFTER I was supposed to appear, the first time, I called them at like 10 am, and let them know I had been out of town, and apologized. The lady said the case had been dismissed so I was in the clear. Whew!!
The second time, I called like a few days after I was scheduled to appear, and let them know that I was out of town. AGAIN the case didnt go to trial.

Someone up there loves me.. :eusa_angel:

Oh and then there was this other time when I got summoned (actually I have been very fortunate because this happened twice, different states, too) and was out of town when the summons came.. The DAY AFTER I was supposed to appear, the first time, I called them at like 10 am, and let them know I had been out of town, and apologized. The lady said the case had been dismissed so I was in the clear. Whew!!
The second time, I called like a few days after I was scheduled to appear, and let them know that I was out of town. AGAIN the case didnt go to trial.

Someone up there loves me.. :eusa_angel:
:) Lucky you.

I will say, I am sort of looking forward to it - AND I feel I am doing my part to perform my Civic Duty, but I would not have fretted much of they had dismissed me.

I love jury duty. Hope you get an interesting case, PPV.
Well...I've been picked! Number One juror.
And yes, it is an interesting case.

Ayi yi yi Interesting. Major.

Lord help me.
a goggle hint would be nice :lol:
It's KILLING me. *I* can't even do that.

I am not allowed to look into the case AT ALL. Even though I am familiar with it somewhat because it made big headlines, I...being who I am, researcher extraordinaire :) cannot even allow myself to hear, read or learn a smidgeon more about the case, in any form, cannot seek it out, and must shut my ears and my eyes if it is even being discussed.

*ack!*

But I will be good. I do intend to be fair and impartial, and do my best to be the best juror possible.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back