I Have Been Out

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
trekking around St. Andrews State Park this after noon. I had the pleasure to see two juvenile great horned owls and their parents, a small alligator, some great blue herons, a lesser blue heron, snowy egrets, and a bunch of osprey. I saw the owls with my binoculars, they are magnificent creatures.

I am adding a link so you can see what I saw.

Owl in the tree | Florida State Parks

I love living in Florida.

I do, too. It is awesome.
We have a pond and frequently have great blue herons, blue herons, and green backed herons visit it.
I have painted buntings every season at my backyard bird feeder. Absolutely love those little colorful guys.

We have a pond and frequently have great blue herons, blue herons, and green backed herons visit it.
I have painted buntings every season at my backyard bird feeder. Absolutely love those little colorful guys.
I love the tourists reaction too, we were on the beach side the other day and a gentleman walked by me and said “ isn’t this the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? I said yes..

I don’t know what a painted bunting is but I will look him up and be on the lookout.

Yeah, there is just nothing better! It IS living in paradise!
Here they are. The male is the colorful fella. The female is green or green with a little yellow

A6720A34-CAE7-4A46-AF47-C8AF8EA96D0F.jpeg
39676BE0-04FE-4945-826D-667F44EECC07.jpeg

They visit from approx Nov to Mar or April, then spend the rest of the year north of us in the Port Saint Lucie area. Sort of like the snowbirds. :)

I love the tourists reaction too, we were on the beach side the other day and a gentleman walked by me and said “ isn’t this the most beautiful thing you have ever seen? I said yes..

I don’t know what a painted bunting is but I will look him up and be on the lookout.

Here they are. The male is the colorful fella. The female is green or green with a little yellow

View attachment 185757 View attachment 185758
They visit from approx Nov to Mar or April, then spend the rest of the year north of us in the Port Saint Lucie area. Sort of like the snowbirds. :)

Those are BEAUTIFUL photos and there are few things more beautiful than to see a bird close up through a good pair of binoculars (15X is nice). Few birds reveal their beauty far away from the distance most people can see them naked eye! But as to Florida being a paradise---- ---- Hot, humid, steamy swamp, 1 foot above sea level with sinkholes under every house and hurricanes every fall------- paradise? Not my idea of one.

Thank you! And you don’t know what you are missing! ;)

Sink holes only in certain areas, fortunately not ours. Hot and steamy only in certain areas as well. Our average humidity is only 65% where we live and avg temp is 75, very enjoyable, 13 miles inland. And we’ve had only 3 hurricanes that affected us very much, as in lose power for awhile, etc., in 18 years, so we consider it paradise.

Those are BEAUTIFUL photos and there are few things more beautiful than to see a bird close up through a good pair of binoculars (15X is nice). Few birds reveal their beauty far away from the distance most people can see them naked eye! But as to Florida being a paradise---- ---- Hot, humid, steamy swamp, 1 foot above sea level with sinkholes under every house and hurricanes every fall------- paradise? Not my idea of one.

Last edited:
we have SNOW Buntings up here in Maine, they are cute as a button but not nearly as beautiful as yours in Florida!

11-21-14%2BSnow%2Bbuntings-kab.JPG

trekking around St. Andrews State Park this after noon. I had the pleasure to see two juvenile great horned owls and their parents, a small alligator, some great blue herons, a lesser blue heron, snowy egrets, and a bunch of osprey. I saw the owls with my binoculars, they are magnificent creatures.

WOW! That park looks beautiful!

I will be living in Florida again by the end of summer... my parents are in their 80's now and I need to be near them, so the hubby and I have to move back there for a while.... we are keeping our cottage here in Maine though....It's just so beautiful here in Spring,Summer and Fall, but the Winters....I could pass on! So, I'll be back to being a Floridian again.... at least for the next few years! And the Lord willing, will be able to vacation in Maine in the Summer!

Happy Easter Willow!

It does get hot and steamy starting in June through mid October the rest of the time our weather is mild.

01EE6451-8000-44A2-8571-549A108B3E0B.jpeg
0FB1BF1D-1DE8-4F60-9827-D6A6773A886A.jpeg
D3D7774F-AEE0-4877-A4B2-0F37398F9AA9.jpeg
93BAC2B1-9A61-4159-ABC1-F57EBCC6AB64.jpeg
95459DEE-23E4-406E-85B2-D5330F5C1303.jpeg
01EE6451-8000-44A2-8571-549A108B3E0B.jpeg
So here are some photos my brother shot.

Attachments

• F347E502-5030-484C-91CE-6B7D8777B248.jpeg
    F347E502-5030-484C-91CE-6B7D8777B248.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 45

Excellent. It is that time of year isn't it --- or will be soon up here.

I saw a baby alligator once, just nonchalantly crossing the highway, outside of Baton Rouge.

Actually it's hard to say whether it felt nonchalant or terrified. Gators always keep that sneaky-sly expression don't they.... except for Albert of course.

Nobody will get that

Last edited:

Sounds like ewe had a great day

It's been a long time since I've been to St. Andrews park. Perhaps I need to visit again. I always enjoyed the Jetties and fishing there. Not to mention snorkeling and scuba diving there way back when.

Thanks for the photo's

My mom who lived near Lake Martin in AL until she died in 08 at age 92 regularly had more storm damage than we did per storm and more storms to boot. People don't think of all the winter storms the rest of the country deals with.

Forum List

Back