I have a spill stain on a concrete garage floor, help me please

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
I changed my water pump on my car in someone's garage the other night (they don't know I did) and even though I drained a lot of the coolant before hand, I still lost a lot when I pulled the lower hose off the pump and it splashed down and made a nice puddle on the floor and now there's a stain due to the oily nature of coolant, as well as some rust stains mixed into it.

Does anyone have any good remedies for cleaning this up and making it not look like shit anymore?

I changed my water pump on my car in someone's garage the other night (they don't know I did) and even though I drained a lot of the coolant before hand, I still lost a lot when I pulled the lower hose off the pump and it splashed down and made a nice puddle on the floor and now there's a stain due to the oily nature of coolant, as well as some rust stains mixed into it.

Does anyone have any good remedies for cleaning this up and making it not look like shit anymore?

You need something to draw out the oil. Start with cat litter, sand or corn starch.

Good luck, Paulie.

oil dry

Get it at any auto parts store.

Leave it on there for a few days then wash, rinse, repeat :)

It depends how porous the concrete is. But most stains on concrete can be removed with good ol' fashioned elbow grease. And leaving a heap of cat litter covering what's left after you've scrubbed all you can off overnight should help, as it's very absorbent.

Kitty Litter
WD-40
Dishwashing Soap or Detergent
Nylon Brush and elbow grease

I used bar soap once when I was a kid, my dad made me wash off a skid mark I made on the sidewalk with my bike once (and only once!) :lol:

Good luck and remember to use a spill plate or a piece of carpet (it's more comfortable) next time!

Write them a letter of apology, and offer to pay for a new garage.

I can only imagine the amount of kitty litter that is owned by the collective of this board.

I can only imagine the amount of kitty litter that is owned by the collective of this board.

Fawk that.... get some simple green and spray it full strength. Let it sit for a few, then get an old toothbrush or really stiff scrub brush and go to town.

It works. Ive done it many times.... finally I got to where I dont give a crap :lol:

If they don't know you did it why worry ? :eusa_whistle:

I get nervous when people talk about removing rust colored stains in garages that they want to hide from the owners....

Reeeaaaaalllly nervous...

Which reminds me..I think I'll go watch a forensic show on hulu....

:lol: I don't own a cat but it is also the first thing I thought of...

You need to first pour something like cat litter or saw dust to absorb the oil.

Sweep it up and do it again a few times...Then scrub it.

Go to the home depot cleaning department and look for "degreasers" You are going to have to use some elbo grease and scrub scrub scrub.

For rust look for a product called "wink" ... CLR may work too.

The other problem you are going to get into is that the area you clean is going to look very clean...so you may be into this for and entire floor scrubbing.

Make sure what ever it is that you do use, you have a well ventilated area! Do not mix chemicals!

burn it down.

next?

Find a derelict and cut their throat in the garage on the spot .

Forum List

Back