I have a serious question: Why do Democrats want 45% plus of American workers to make minimum wage?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just wondering, right now only 2% of American workers make minimum wage

According to the National Employment Law Project, 42.4 percent of American workers currently make less than $15 an hour.

MW-CZ294_real_i_20141114140830_MG.jpg

Among those paid by the hour, 434,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federalminimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federalminimum. Together, these 1.7 million workers with wages at or below the federalminimum made up 2.1 percent of all hourly paid workers.
Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2018 : BLS Reports: U.S. ...

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2018/home.htm

According to the National Employment Law Project, 42.4 percent of American workers currently make less than $15 an hour.

Among those paid by the hour, 434,000 workers earned exactly the prevailing federalminimum wage of $7.25 per hour. About 1.3 million had wages below the federalminimum. Together, these 1.7 million workers with wages at or below the federalminimum made up 2.1 percent of all hourly paid workers.

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2018 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

I would like to feel someone has explained the probable results of this type of wage hike to all the Democrat politicians. My guess is they just don't care. We've already seen how they were all throwing a fit regarding DACA kids, but when they have an opportunity for a deal they blow it off. And there are a number of others with them throwing a fit but refusing to fix. So my guess is they know, but just don't care.

Last edited:
It will ripple up the other bars at similar ratio. This will cause inflatoin or worse......can USA business compete paying An assembler $30/hour because the clean up crew makes $20/hour.

Both make $2/hour in China perhaps?

Characteristics of minimum wage workers, 2018 : BLS Reports: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Probably should recheck your calculations.. According to that graph -- < $15/hr is something like 13.5 + 15 = 28.5%... And that's counting every HS summer job that ever occurs...

BIGGER ISSUE IS -- this is proposed by mental midgets who have never heard of "cost of living" differences.. $15/hr in Mississippi is ROYALTY wages.. $15/hr in L.A. barely gets you out of your tent in the street..

It's a STATE issue.. With the Feds role solely to be -- defining the bottom...

Probably should recheck your calculations.. According to that graph -- < $15/hr is something like 13.5 + 15 = 28.5%... And that's counting every HS summer job that ever occurs...

BIGGER ISSUE IS -- this is proposed by mental midgets who have never heard of "cost of living" differences.. $15/hr in Mississippi is ROYALTY wages.. $15/hr in L.A. barely gets you out of your tent in the street..

yea I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at it, but thought so what, heard it so many times before

Notes. Today, 2.2 million working people are paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour or less. Approximately another 23 million people are paid between $7.25 and $11 an hour. Nearly half (42.4 percent) of working Americans make less than $15 perhour.Jan 28, 2019
Making the Economic Case for a $15 Minimum Wage

It’s easy to assume that workers earning less than $15 is a small subset of the workforce. But, in fact, 42% of all workers in the United States fit this bill. Just over half of all African Americans earn less than $15 an hour, and nearly 60% of Latinos make that hourly sum.

Who makes less than $15 per hour, in 3 charts

So, what you're saying is that 45% or more of American workers make less than $15.00 an hour?

That's well under $30,000 a year.

Damn, that's a lotta poor folks.

yea I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at it, but thought so what, heard it so many times before

Notes. Today, 2.2 million working people are paid the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour or less. Approximately another 23 million people are paid between $7.25 and $11 an hour. Nearly half (42.4 percent) of working Americans make less than $15 perhour.Jan 28, 2019

It’s easy to assume that workers earning less than $15 is a small subset of the workforce. But, in fact, 42% of all workers in the United States fit this bill. Just over half of all African Americans earn less than $15 an hour, and nearly 60% of Latinos make that hourly sum.

I'd go with the 2018 stats from Labor.. The other sources are advocates and their data is five to seven years older.. And -- MANY of countries' largest employers have been pressured into changing since...

Would have to find out if these other sources are "averaging" yearly wages for part-time workers or playing other games. But 42% of FULL TIME employees are not making less then $15/hr...

Not even with all the WAITRESSES/WAITERS that are counted as making only $2 or $3/hr....

28.5% is much more believable...

I'd go with the 2018 stats from Labor.. The other sources are advocates and their data is five to seven years older.. And -- MANY of countries' largest employers have been pressured into changing since...

Would have to find out if these other sources are "averaging" yearly wages for part-time workers or playing other games. But 42% of FULL TIME employees are not making less then $15/hr...

Not even with all the WAITRESSES/WAITERS that are counted as making only $2 or $3/hr....

28.5% is much more believable...

Well that sounds like good advice, I always wondered about that......just read it so many times on Main stream like Forbes and such

Why, it gives them the opportunity to expand the definition of the working poor, and to expand the programs that go along with that designation. Then they'll want 20 an hour and the cycle will repeat. The federal government has no business meddling in employment contracts, but when did the commies ever let that stop them?

Democrats want to make the maximum number of people poor and pissed off. By grouping nearly half of all Americans at the bottom of the pay scale, Democrats will have a big head start in that direction. Democrats prefer to be in position to exploit these people, not allow them to achieve the American dream. Viva Trump

They want to destroy the economy in order to stop Trump's certain re-election.

They will fail.

So, what you're saying is that 45% or more of American workers make less than $15.00 an hour?

That's well under $30,000 a year.

Damn, that's a lotta poor folks.
and why do democrats want to add illegals in America that will lower the pay scale even lower? Illegals mean cheap labor.

Forum List

Back