I have a question

"beginning to suspect", lol you crack me up dude. Not every single opinion on something requires 100% knowledge of the subject. If it hurts your feelings that I don't like Ozzy just say so for crying out loud :rolleyes:

:lol:

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all dude. I simply recognized a fundamental gap in your Black Sabbath musical knowledge that I tried to partially resolve. I really don't care if you love'em or hate'em to be honest. But considering the fact that they invented heavy metal, I figured you might be slightly interested.

Come on man, stop, you're killing me!

A "fundamental gap"? :lol: What is this, Harvard debate team?

It's just music, my man. I know enough to know I don't like Ozzy. Let's leave it at that.

But 'they invented heavy metal' could be debatable though.

But 'they invented heavy metal' could be debatable though.

I guess any such declaration can always be called debatable. But it's probably more widely settled than you realize.

I think just as much of a case could be made for Zepplin, and perhaps even a group like Deep Purple. They're all from around the same time period, late 60's.

In a case like that, the decision probably becomes individual based on preference. I don't like very much Zepplin either, but I do like some Deep Purple.

I'm not really much of a metal fan period, though.

When it comes to really hard rock like that I prefer some of the newer bands that are out like Disturbed, Sick Puppies, and Mudvayne, to name a few.

There's plenty of classic rock that I love though. My favorite band from that era is probably Van Halen with Dave. The Who and the Stones are probably close 2nd's.

Can't forget Floyd, too. I go through phases with Floyd though where I need to listen to a lot of it, and then I need to take a break for a while. It's not an 'any occasion' type of music.

Last edited:
I don't really consider Zeppelin or Deep Purple to be heavy metal. To me they are hard rock, which again to me, is not synonymous with heavy metal.

But of course such a distinction may be to some what that great line from the Blue Brothers is to me. We've got both kinds of music, country AND western. :lol:

I don't know man, Deep Purple is pretty damn hard. For their time, they were certainly different than the rest of the hard rock category. They were once the world's loudest band. Put that together with their style which was much harder than their peers in that genre, and you have yourself a metal band. Just my opinion though.

I'm not so sure you're opinion on this isn't swayed just a bit, perhaps subconsciously, by your personal love of Black Sabbath.

Last edited:
steppenwolf invented heavy metal.

What leads you to that opinion?

Weren't they just talking about their motorcycles when they said "heavy metal thunder"?

Paulie,

My opinion that Black Sabbath invented heavy metal stems directly from how they tuned their instruments and the conscious decision to make music that sounds dark, angry and scary. Geezer Butler says he came up with the idea when he saw the growing popularity of horror movies. He said if people will pay to be scared by a movie, why not music too? Nobody was tuning low like that before they did, and nobody was recording horror-esque musical compositions. Today, that is the hallmark of virtually every heavy metal band.

Here's one guy that agrees with me.

...One record of the era, however, threw art-rock ambitions to the wind and exhibited all the bone-crunching elements that would distinguish Heavy Metal forevermore: Black Sabbath. From the tolling bells and crashing horror-movie-theme riff of its opening track to its satanic references and occult imagery throughout, Sabbath's debut album mapped out the terrain for the new and thunderous genre and provided a blueprint for all aspiring bands to follow in their wake. This legacy was cemented by their two subsequent releases, Paranoid (1970) and Master of Reality (1971). One has only to compare the heaviest riffs offered by Jimmy Page, such as Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta Love, to the unearthly sounds that Tony Iommi produced in songs like Into the Void, Children of the Grave, Iron Man, and Lord Of This World to confirm that Black Sabbath did indeed create something that, while not completely unprecedented, sounded like nothing else on Earth at that time. It seems safe to say that history will remember them as the true founders of Heavy Metal.

Who Invented Heavy Metal? - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Partially.

What is your opinion of Black Sabbath with Ozzy?

With the exception of maybe 5 tracks, one NOT being Crazy Train since I've just heard it too many times in my life to still like it, I'm not really a fan.

War Pigs is pretty good.

This reminds me, I hate Led Zepplin too.

Crazy Train is not Sabbath, it's Ozzy solo.

I'm beginning to suspect your opinion is not an educated one. Not that there's anything wrong with that, especially when it comes to accounting for taste.

A few of the better known Sabbath (with Ozzy) tunes include:

War Pigs (which you've mentioned)
Paranoid
Iron Man
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
N.I.B. (probably my favorite Sabbath riff)
Tomorrow's Dream
The Wizard
Into the Void
Children of the Grave
Fairies wear boots
Symptom of the Universe
Sweet Leaf (i'm sure you know what that one is about ;))
After Forever
Lord of this World
Supernaut

all great tunes Mani....

"beginning to suspect", lol you crack me up dude. Not every single opinion on something requires 100% knowledge of the subject. If it hurts your feelings that I don't like Ozzy just say so for crying out loud :rolleyes:

:lol:

It doesn't hurt my feelings at all dude. I simply recognized a fundamental gap in your Black Sabbath musical knowledge that I tried to partially resolve. I really don't care if you love'em or hate'em to be honest. But considering the fact that they invented heavy metal, I figured you might be slightly interested.

i dont know if they "invented" it Mani...Blue Cheer had an LP in 68 that was considered by some to be the first Heavy Metal album (Vincebus Eruptum)...i think Sabbath took it and ran with it and refined the sound....definatly the first MAJOR heavy metal band to come along....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back