I have a question for you hunter's out there!

Shattered said:

There are a LOT of things *everyone* (men and women alike) do stictly for ego. I think hunting with a giant gun happens to be one of them....
I have nothing against hunting, it serves an important place in wild animal conservation.
The "big" gun is simply for a rapid humane dispatch and size is mandatory for certain game, not for ego.

dilloduck said:
Congratultions on your achievements. They are truly worthy of praise however, no one said hunting was an equally laudable achievement. I'll ignore your minimization of the DIFFERENT skills ( bow and arrow etc.) used in hunting but how do you know that hunting was this mans ONLY achievement. Khafley was sick of seeing them hanging on the wall. Now it has been turned into a pathetic thing men do to brag about themselves and that they have somehow "taken advantage" of poor pitiful nature to puff up their ego. Don't even get me started on the other things people to puff up their egos. This is an obvious attack on males that apparently is getting quite popular here.

Bow and arrow hunting (IMO) is deserving of more "praise and awe" than rifle hunting. It just didn't pop into my mind, altho my brother does that as well.. Sorry.

An attack on males? Did I not just say that men and women alike (all people) do plenty to puff up their own egos? I am in no way "attacking" anyone - hunting isn't my thing, and it certainly doesn't impress me. Like Khafley, I'd rather see them in my back yard than hanging on my wall.

Women use makeup and clothes to puff up their egos. Why? Not because they *need* them, but because it makes them look good, and makes people take notice. Therefore, they're willing to spend ricidulous amounts of money they don't need to to get that feeling.. I don't consider that to be personal pride - I consider that to be personal ego. I'm guilty.

What exactly do you sound so sore about? She asked a direct question, and received several direct answers. Your opinion happens to be different than the next persons, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Shattered said:
Bow and arrow hunting (IMO) is deserving of more "praise and awe" than rifle hunting. It just didn't pop into my mind, altho my brother does that as well.. Sorry.

An attack on males? Did I not just say that men and women alike (all people) do plenty to puff up their own egos? I am in no way "attacking" anyone - hunting isn't my thing, and it certainly doesn't impress me. Like Khafley, I'd rather see them in my back yard than hanging on my wall.

Women use makeup and clothes to puff up their egos. Why? Not because they *need* them, but because it makes them look good, and makes people take notice. Therefore, they're willing to spend ricidulous amounts of money they don't need to to get that feeling.. I don't consider that to be personal pride - I consider that to be personal ego. I'm guilty.

What exactly do you sound so sore about? She asked a direct question, and received several direct answers. Your opinion happens to be different than the next persons, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

Just defending a males right to be proud of his accomplishments without it being turned into some sick thing he does to puff up his ego. If you painted a picture that you were quite proud of and hung it on a wall I would not likely tell you it was disgusting even if I thought it was. YOU worked on it--it means something to YOU--why would I trash what YOU were proud of?

It's not being trashed, no matter how you want to misinterpret it. It's more of a "it's not for me, and this is what I think of it only because you asked" thing. It's still your personal thing, and nobody is trying to take it away from you.

You're not going to find too many women that are all gungho on the whole hunting/hanging dead heads over the mantle thing.

Personally, all that shit creeps me out. There's a 5-star restaurant here called Christine's (or something like that) that I've been dying to try, because they have outstanding food.. I can't make it past the front door, because of all the stuffed carcasses as soon as you hit the entry way... That's my thing. It in no way should diminish what makes someone *ELSE* happy.

I gotta run.. Work calls. Have a nice day... Nothing I said was meant to be offensive...

Mr. P said:
Dillo, I think you're reading way to much into this thread.

I'm reading EXACTLY what has been posted--having an animal trophy has been called stupid and "just" something men do to build up their EGOS.
I happen to disagree with BOTH of those assessments ! In fact you've had quite the time mocking all the "bubbas".

dilloduck said:
I'm reading EXACTLY what has been posted--having an animal trophy has been called stupid and "just" something men do to build up their EGOS.
I happen to disagree with BOTH of those assessments ! In fact you've had quite the time mocking all the "bubbas".

Fine we disagree. As far as Bubba, he likes the attention, it builds his Ego.

Mr. P said:
Fine we disagree. As far as Bubba, he likes the attention, it builds his Ego.

Thats fine Mr. P----lets just not throw ALL men in the Bubba tank. It's a shitty sterotype to encourage.

dilloduck said:
Thats fine Mr. P----lets just not throw ALL men in the Bubba tank. It's a shitty sterotype to encourage.

Hey dilloduck

Sorry I came across this thread after the discussion seems to have ended. Couple of things:

1 I used to be insulted by being called Bubba but now I just laugh because if that is the worst thing someone can come up with they arent worth my time worrying about them.

2 It is not an ego thing as Mr. P would have everyone believe. My love of hunting and fishing has from time to time allowed me to find a very special speciman of a particular species and yes I have had them mounted. It is not an ego thing, rather an appreciation of the beauty that nature blesses us with. In all my many outings with rod or gun the "trophys" I have taken are few and far between. That is what makes them special. That is not to say that all game I have taken are not trophys in their own way. I choose to honor some by consumption and some by taxidermy. My "bubette" wife killed the most beautiful drake red head duck last year I have ever seen and she chose to put it on the wall rather than in the freezer for consumption. Her choice and I was delighted.

3 Trophys come in many forms. A trophy wife, that nice big house, that new car and any number of posessions that one may have. I guess the fact that we choose to bring nature and a rod or gun into the mix makes it a problem for some. Their problem not mine.

I could go on but I think I have made clear my stance. Besides I just got the urge to go get my shotgun and go kill something. All the best to you Dillo.

manu1959 said:
they can't mount their penis on the wall so the dead whatever will have to do

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

oh my god I haven't laughed so hard in I don't know how long!!

JOKER96BRAVO said:
I can answer this in a strange way...
It's kind of the same concept as women who get fake bewbs, not for their
man, but for them. My wife has great boobs and I tell her I'm very happy with
them, yet she still wants that trophy rack....

well that still doesn't make sense. because I am one of those women, who has NO desire for a boob job.

There we go with the ego thing again, woo look at me how big my boobs are!LOL

Shattered said:
I asked my brother this question. He hunts.. He's got heads & skins galore (yech!).

He says that the actual "proof" of victory is more believable than pictures, which apparently, you can buy almost anywhere. The heads/skins are more "imposing" than a few pics laying around in a box.

Sounds most definitely ego to me.. After all, you're shooting an innocent animal with a huge gun.. It's not like the animal ever had a fighting chance at that point anyway.

Why not make it fair to the animal? Chase him down, and take him out with a knife... At least then, if you manage to come out the victor, you have something to be proud *of*...

Have to say I agree!

However I have also noticed you can buy somebody else's mounts on Ebay!

its like getting a trophy for anything other sport. you do good in it and you get a trophy.
its an adrenilaine(sp?) rush to take a huge deer, elk or whatever your hunting. they arent exactly easy to hunt thats for sure. turkey has to be the worst one to hunt. you have to be extremley smart to get them.

Sounds most definitely ego to me.. After all, you're shooting an innocent animal with a huge gun.. It's not like the animal ever had a fighting chance at that point anyway.

You'd be suprised how well nature does in evading men. Many return with empty handed inspite of the technological advantages they have. Sounds more like some people here simply disapprove of hunting in general but if MEN do it, they should be embarassed and feel guilty about it.

dilloduck said:
You'd be suprised how well nature does in evading men. <b>Many return with empty handed inspite of the technological advantages they have.</b> Sounds more like some people here simply disapprove of hunting in general but if MEN do it, they should be embarassed and feel guilty about it.
pst 2 years oin a row for turkey! i can see them, i can hear them, but try to call them in...way different story!

dilloduck said:
You'd be suprised how well nature does in evading men. Many return with empty handed inspite of the technological advantages they have. Sounds more like some people here simply disapprove of hunting in general but if MEN do it, they should be embarassed and feel guilty about it.

Come on.. Where are you coming up with all this "male bashing" and "male hatred"? Don't you think you're overreacting just a *little* bit? Christ.. Think about how you (collective) act when we're (women) PMSing... You talk about us to your friends, you make snide comments you think we can't hear, every time something happens to be wrong, it's automatically "that time of the month again".. You, yourself are guilty.

My brother is the only person I know that hunts.. He's the one that *told* me it's an ego thing.. So, it's basically right from the horses mouth, and he's hardly embarrassed, and if he felt so damned guilty, he certainly wouldn't be going every year.

It goes both ways, toots. Why are you, specifically, taking this so hard? Nobody else seems to be.

Shattered said:
Come on.. Where are you coming up with all this "male bashing" and "male hatred"? Don't you think you're overreacting just a *little* bit? Christ.. Think about how you (collective) act when we're (women) PMSing... You talk about us to your friends, you make snide comments you think we can't hear, every time something happens to be wrong, it's automatically "that time of the month again".. You, yourself are guilty.

My brother is the only person I know that hunts.. He's the one that *told* me it's an ego thing.. So, it's basically right from the horses mouth, and he's hardly embarrassed, and if he felt so damned guilty, he certainly wouldn't be going every year.

It goes both ways, toots. Why are you, specifically, taking this so hard? Nobody else seems to be.

Read the thread ,toots . :rolleyes: Count the number of times that men who hunt are mocked and accused of HAVING to do it to prove their maleness. Show me anywhere on this thread where I have mocked women because they were on their period. It's not the sort of thing I resort to. You know ONE person who hunts and base your entire opinion on his opinion on hunting.

So are you against hunting those poor innocent animals or not ? I'm merely defending hunting and fishing as an activity that is NOT soley an experience men engage in to prove thier manliness to others as many have suggested. Do you have any idea how many women hunt and fish ? Are they all lesbians trying to prove their manliness too?

Forum List

Back